does a cochlear implant affect a persons balance system

georgewes

I mean the balance system that is encased in the bone near the ear on both sides.   I thought a long time ago a guy told me that he wouldn't get a cochlear implant because it would destroy one of the balance systems.   What is the situation now with that?

• HearPeers Heroes

Good question for your CI surgeon.  Smile.

My CIs have not effected my balance.

My balance system was damaged when I lost my hearing on the right side.  I got implanted two weeks ago and I was dizzy for a while but it was mostly because I caught a cold right before surgery.  I don't feel any more dizzy now than I did before surgery and I'm hoping that after activation when when I have a sense of sound direction it will also help me feel more balanced.  From what I've read about other people's experience, it's usually not a problem or just a temporary problem.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck at activation Sue!

• HearPeers Heroes

If the implant/electrode array extrudes or migrates into your vestibular system, balance issues can appear.

Edited by hadron
Word

• HearPeers Heroes

My balance was affected by my hearing loss when I wore hearing aids.

My knowledge of the physical structure of the inner ear: has a fluid in it called endolymph (sp?) that fluid moves in the cochlea to move the hear cells that induce the hearing nerves. That fluid is tied to the vestibular system too and the movement affects our balance. The name of the fluid in the Vestibular system may be different, but is tied to endolymph fluid. 

Everyone has a unique experience with balance, if any

There are balance exercises to do that help. I have heard yoga is good for balance, but you won't see me in tights!