Odd pressure in ear following implant surgery

mmichaud

Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this forum and searched around a bit to see if anyone has already asked my question but came up blank. So, here goes:

I lost hearing my left ear two years ago. Right ear works perfect. CI implant exactly two weeks ago. Exactly one week ago, just as I was weaning from pain meds, I began to feel this odd pulling sensation in my ear when I looked over the opposite shoulder from the ear that was implanted (i.e. driving in car, looking over right shoulder to check for blind spot or attend to children). I can create this sensation if I touch gently on the upper part of my ear and sometimes I get this sensation while I'm chewing. There is no pain and the sensation, which does feel a bit like pressure in the ear, does not really cause any problems, but I'm unnerved by it. 

I called to talk to doctor, who is out of the country, and got his PA. He reassured me that what I am experiencing is totally normal and that I have nothing to worry about. But i didn't feel totally reassured. Also he didn't say when this sensation would go away (and I forgot to ask). 

Has anyone else experienced what I am describing (I'm sorry if I'm not being specific enough)? If so, did this odd feeling eventually subside? What did your doctor say about it? I sort of wish I could see the doc and have him actually look into my ear just to tell me everything is fine, but he is out of country, as I said and hospital is 1.5 hours away so unless its a real emergency, I'm not inclined to drive there.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

mike

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mike,

I would be concerned too.  I did not experience any pulling sensation with either CI.

Thank you Mary Beth. I appreciate your fast reply. We'll see what other say, perhaps I'll try to get in to see the doc next week. In some ways, it just feels like my ear needs to pop. 

best

mike

• HearPeers Heroes

Many people have the sensation that their ears need to pop post surgery.  There is a lot of fluid in the middle ear.

Hi MaryBeth: Thanks again for your post. That could be it. In fact, I recall the Physician's Assistant saying something along those lines. I failed to ask him how long this would last, though, and that's what I'm kind of regretting now. 

Thanks again. I appreciate your fast responses. :)

best

mike

• HearPeers Heroes

I was very fortunate both times.  My recoveries from both surgeries were easy.  I hope you feel better soon.  Stay in touch with your CI team with all your questions.  They are there to help you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was also told that sometimes it is the nerves reconnecting as well. Can cause a weird sensation. I had terrible pain once this happened if I touched or pushed on the implant site. But it went away completely with time. When do you have your follow up? The Audi will also look at the site at switch on. If it bothers you still I would get it checked. Nothing wrong with an extra check up?

Hi Kara, thank you so much for your post. I wouldn't say it's a terrible pain, it's just an odd sensation and not one that I particularly like. I think in part I am paranoid about the ear because it's a pretty complicated area. I need to relax. :) And yes, the sensation comes when I push or touch the implant site or, as I say, when I look far over the opposite shoulder--this odd "pulling" sensation. 

I think I sit tight for now and wait for the follow up, which is on 7/10.

Thanks again!

mike

P.S. I saw in the paper that yesterday was Canada's 150 year anniversary! Hope the celebrations were fun! 

I'm a few days away from six months and only now can be confident my ear has finally healed and the implant settled if that's the right word. I had a few strange sensations during the healing process and even now my ear feels slightly numb but nowhere near as bad as at first. At one point about three months in I actually felt a slight rip, something giving away while vigorously washing what little hair I have. That scared me a bit but I guess it was just part of the healing process. Hope your sensations are likewise.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:44 PM, mmichaud said:

Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this forum and searched around a bit to see if anyone has already asked my question but came up blank. So, here goes:

I lost hearing my left ear two years ago. Right ear works perfect. CI implant exactly two weeks ago. Exactly one week ago, just as I was weaning from pain meds, I began to feel this odd pulling sensation in my ear when I looked over the opposite shoulder from the ear that was implanted (i.e. driving in car, looking over right shoulder to check for blind spot or attend to children). I can create this sensation if I touch gently on the upper part of my ear and sometimes I get this sensation while I'm chewing. There is no pain and the sensation, which does feel a bit like pressure in the ear, does not really cause any problems, but I'm unnerved by it. 

I called to talk to doctor, who is out of the country, and got his PA. He reassured me that what I am experiencing is totally normal and that I have nothing to worry about. But i didn't feel totally reassured. Also he didn't say when this sensation would go away (and I forgot to ask). 

Has anyone else experienced what I am describing (I'm sorry if I'm not being specific enough)? If so, did this odd feeling eventually subside? What did your doctor say about it? I sort of wish I could see the doc and have him actually look into my ear just to tell me everything is fine, but he is out of country, as I said and hospital is 1.5 hours away so unless its a real emergency, I'm not inclined to drive there.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

mike

Hey Mike,

I am going in for my CI implantation this week and have a similar situation to yours. HAve a perfect left ear, lost complete right ear hearing ~a year ago.  I am curious how the curgery was and how you felt afterwards?

Mo

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck Mo with your surgery.