Very confused need help :(

salman

Hi every one 

My name is Salman im 32 years old with meniere's disease bilateral hearing loss severe profound in right and severe in the left , make the story short i been advised to go for implant in one of the ears by my doc im not really benefiting form the hearing aid the sound is so metallic distort i rarely understand the speech without the lips reading but some how i feel good with it its like better than nothing i was wearing linx2 form resound and recently about an year i switched to halo Starkey with up power. i have few question put in mind that i used to hear normal and my hearing been lost gradually.

1- I work as operation manager i used mobile conversations alot during the day and i like the idea of streaming the calls through my iPhone to my hearing aid what if i used the implant would i be able to do that with the hearing aid in my left year and the implant in right ear at the same time ? 

2- do i have to change my hearing aid brand i know that AB can use the hearing aid phonak accessories and it work fine with it Cochlear used resound but what about MEDEL i looked in the website and no info ?

3- im very afraid of the operation i have 0 pain tolerance and seriously speaking at this age i wouldn't go to the hospital unless im really sick how many days i need till i recover ? dose the pain killers works good ?  i asked my doc that i need to stay at the hospital at least 2 days although my partner will be with me at home but im so afraid of going home same day of the surgery :(

4- i love love love love music some how although i dont enjoy the full sound of the music with my hearing aid but some how i can listen to it by streaming it directly to my ear im so confused that some ppl say it dont sound good after the implant and my doc say ill be hearing just like before noting will change but it might takes time now how good is it dose it worth all of this pain i feel like i can live with what i have not because im happy with it but i can afford losing the music sound and afraid of the pain 

Im so sorry about the long post i know every body has different experience but where i live not alot of ppl has the surgery and there is no meeting groups or so , i really hope some one would advice me on what to do :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Salman!

I also had normal hearing and then progressively lost my hearing.  I have been implanted for 2 years now.  These CIs are amazing!

1). Yes as long as your HA (regardless of brand) has an active telecoil, you can use the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop and send sound to both your HA and CI processor at the same time on MT or T.  You can also use over the ear headphones, like BOSE Quiet Comfort 35, and keep your HA and CI on M and send the sound to both sides.

2).  You do not have to change your HA brand.

3).  For me, these CI surgeries were the easiest ear surgeries I ever had.  I went home the same day as surgery.  I only took Tylenol for pain for a couple of days and was back to work in one week. I hope you are as fortunate.

4).  Music started sounding good to me about 3 months after activation.  I trained music, just like speech, and it improved greatly. I listen to music all of the time and love old familiar songs and new songs too.  I have returned to playing the piano, after decades of not being able to due to my hearing loss.  So for me, these CIs returned music to my life.

everyone's journey is unique and I benefitted from lots of aural rehab daily.

Wishing you the best!

14 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Welcome Salman!

I also had normal hearing and then progressively lost my hearing.  I have been implanted for 2 years now.  These CIs are amazing!

1). Yes as long as your HA (regardless of brand) has an active telecoil, you can use the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop and send sound to both your HA and CI processor at the same time on MT or T.  You can also use over the ear headphones, like BOSE Quiet Comfort 35, and keep your HA and CI on M and send the sound to both sides.

2).  You do not have to change your HA brand.

3).  For me, these CI surgeries were the easiest ear surgeries I ever had.  I went home the same day as surgery.  I only took Tylenol for pain for a couple of days and was back to work in one week. I hope you are as fortunate.

4).  Music started sounding good to me about 3 months after activation.  I trained music, just like speech, and it improved greatly. I listen to music all of the time and love old familiar songs and new songs too.  I have returned to playing the piano, after decades of not being able to due to my hearing loss.  So for me, these CIs returned music to my life.

everyone's journey is unique and I benefitted from lots of aural rehab daily.

Wishing you the best!

Oh thank you your reply on music is big relief ughhh I was so worried that it will never be same I understand that ci not like HA it takes time to work and I have no problem in that 

thank you again 

• HearPeers Heroes

You are welcome.

Keep us posted on your journey!

• HearPeers Heroes

Surgery is different for everyone. I also had profound loss in my implanted ear. I couldn't hear music or talk on the phone before. Now I can do both!! This implant is the greatest gift I ever received!! Best of luck and keep us posted!! 

5 hours ago, Kara of Canada said:

Surgery is different for everyone. I also had profound loss in my implanted ear. I couldn't hear music or talk on the phone before. Now I can do both!! This implant is the greatest gift I ever received!! Best of luck and keep us posted!! 

dose it sound same as it used to ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Well that's different at first. A CI is not normal hearing. You will have to do vigorous training for the first while to get your ear and brain in the same track. I personally didn't have an. Issue with everyday sounds being different but music took a long time to come back. Mind you I hadn't listened to music for 5-10 years. Some say It's very robotic at first. Don't let that get your hopes down. We all have to understand that getting a CI usually is our only chance to have some normals one hearing again and depending on how hard we work at it usually will depend on the outcome. But it is the best thing I have done for myself and my family.  Best of luck!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Salman, I got my CI a year ago when hearing aids no longer worked for me . There was some pain at first but very little which tylenol took care of very nicely. Actually this was the easiest of all the surgeries I have had. Music was a big thing for me too and at first all I got was the base sounds but it gradually got better. I now enjoy listening and playing with my Friday morning dulcimer group.  The CI works much better than my HA. I don't expect it to be as good as what I was born with but I can hear! Its a miracle. Since this one worked so well I am seeing my surgeon on Friday to hopefully schedule another one for my deaf left ear. I'll probably be hounding the folks on this list for advice on this one too. The people on this siteare wonderful!  Best of luck to you on your journey. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Kay,

I am happy to read that you returned to your dulcimer group!  Cool instrument.  Saw and heard them at a festival years ago.  Immediately wanted to play one.  Terrific!

Best of luck at your appt to consider going bilateral.  Bilateral CIs are absolutely terrific and made musical pitch even easier.  Keep us posted!

I was 68 when I got my CI.  Yes, Yes, Yes, you must train your brain.  Being as young as you are that should be a lot easier than what I had to do.  It took my old brain 2 years before I could say sounds and music were back to "normal".  With that said best decision I made was having the surgery, for me it was very easy.  Best of luck, just don't give up.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth, I hopingredients getting the other ear done will give me better results with groups and buildings. When I got the mics activated I really noticed a difference!  I can understand my husband much better. He only has to repeat a third of what he says instead of 80% ? How is the rehab on a second ear? I did well with the first but I haven't heard in this one for a long time.....years. Did you have to take the old one off to nudge the new one? I do hope I'm not asking for trouble.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Kay,

It seems there is quite a range of directions from CI audiologists about how best to approach the second CI rehab.  Check wit her your audiologist.  For me, I trained the new side alone several hours a day and spent some time at night listening with only the new side.  The rest of the time I was bilateral.  My second side started slowly but advanced quickly.  By 4.5 months, they were balanced.  Bilateral is soooo much easier.  Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Salman,

Like you I had a severe to profound loss in both ears before my implant.  In 2014 I got an implant in my left ear.  My life has never been better since my implant.

Your first two questions would probably be better answered by your audiologist.  I have a Med El implant and would not be able to answer what an AB can do.

I can tell you though that I did not have pain after my surgery.  I understand your concern about going home the same day as the surgery, but I did and I was fine.  I thought I might get pain, so I took one of the pain medications tablets later after I got home.  It made me sleepy.  After that I decided that I did not need the pain medication and only took Advil. 

I love music too.  I know everyone's experience is different, but two days after my activation I tried listening to music from my Ipod through my implant.  I was able to recognize songs right away.  I could sing along.  I am also able to enjoy music from Pandora music app on my phone, music on the radio,  and on tv. 

Hope this info is helpful and if you have any more questions for me feel free to contact me.

Lisabeth  

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2017-7-17 at 3:01 AM, Kara of Canada said:

Well, Kara - there is a reason why in the scientific field a CI is capitalized as the most successful neuroprosthesis EVER! ;)

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2017-7-17 at 8:20 AM, salman said:

dose it sound same as it used to ? 

Hi Salman,

Due to the process called neuroplasticity which literally means exercising your brain like your muscles, your hearing abilities improves each day. You have to work hard however, but - only strong succeeds. ;)

Today there are so many succesful but also there will always be averaged stories - I would underline that this depends on the amount of invested effort. A healthy but less activated brain forgets words, occasions, people - even music etc. But wonderful part is that like it goes away - it returns also. You do have to work not however - this is an useful mantra.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2017-08-16 at 4:22 PM, Ivana Marinac said:

Well, Kara - there is a reason why in the scientific field a CI is capitalized as the most successful neuroprosthesis EVER! ;)

Got that right Ivana!! 

• Like 1