Sonnet or Rondo??

Teri

HI everyone! I just joined HearPeers. I have had my Opus2 processors for seven years (I'm bilateral) and after a very long process, my insurance company finally approved new processors. I was all set to get the Sonnets but now I am considering the Rondo. Would love some input from users. Also, I was reading about the Quattor neck loop. I have never used a neck loop but I think I would like to try it. So once you get one, you can sync to all your devices, iPhone, tv , telephone? Is that correct? It sounds like the Sonnet does this without a neck loop but I don't know. I guess I still need to do more research, but my assumption is that the Sonnet might have more up to date technology than the Rondo. Again, I haven't' completely researched it. Anyways, if anyone would like to share their experience or knowledge about Sonnet vs. Rondo, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Teri,

Congratulations about your upgrade approval.  Are you able to see both devices at your audiologist's office before you decide?  They usually have sample models to show us.

The connectivity options for sound sources with Rondos and Sonnets all require using something.  The Sonnets do not direct stream from sound source to processor either.  The Sonnets have a built in 2.4 wireless connectivity feature for FUTURE technology.  It is not active yet.  The FUTURE device has been seen in some European promotions but has not been released there yet either.  On the promos it is called AudioLink and will be an intermediary device for the Sonnet.  BlueTooth from sound source to AudioLink, wireless 2.4 from AudioLink to Sonnet.  The Sonnet does have an integrated Roger X receiver being released soon called the Roger 21 but the Roger System is not included in upgrade kits so you would need to purchase it.  The Rondo can use Roger also by using the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.  Roger is a DM System from Phonak (the next generation of FM-like systems).

The Quattro 4 neckloop works with Rondos, Sonnets and Opus2.  You must be on MT or T to use it and in some places you will run into EMI (electromagnetic interference) like all telecoil devices do.  Another BlueTooth neckloop is the Artone 3 MAX.  I prefer that one.

The Sonnet is the newest tech from  Med El and has dual mics.  That gives us 3 mic setting options (omni, adaptive and natural) and windblock setting options  (off, mild, strong).  I notice a big difference when using the adaptive always directional program windblock off in noise.

I love my Rondos for waterwear use.  They can not be beat for that.  So comfortable.  I also like how hardy the Rondo is since it has less pieces to keep track of.  Smile.

Congratulations in your upgrade.  Welcome  to the group.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Teri. Welcome to hearpeers.

I'm user of Rondo. Light, discrete, don't feel It is on your head. Howeber I use the clip for avoid fly from head.  I have no problem with strength of magnet, but your hand, a sweter, jersey or similar could to have an "accident".

I'm not user of neckloop yet so I tried to use headphotes and really it is not comrortable.

Sonnet is new model of Medel, and It has better technology as Rondo (previous model)

I didn't go to swim with Rondo, but must to be incredible ear the sea again.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin,  My friend has been a Rondo user for several years and finally decided to buy the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop.  She is thrilled to stream music for her daily walks.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Teri! Welcome to Hearpeers! You are no newbie! You have been doing this for 7 years!!

The sonnets have the newest tech from Med El but the Rondo is the only version for CIs that is a one piece unit. I have had a sonnet for a year and a half it is great. I have used Bluetooth neckloops it does stream beautifully. I like the Quattro better than artone but both are viable for either device. Quattro comes with its own detachable mic but artone does not. It's a separate purchase. I have the artone tvb+ It works well too. I use them for church. I hope this helps. Best of luck on your upgrade.

By the way, with a neckloop you can listen to music with no one else hears it!! It's like having headphones! I can go up to 25 feet from a device like my iPad with the neckloop. So nice when your cooking or doing laundry!!  

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Interesting discussion....

However, from the point of technology, I would go for the Sonnet. Rondo is now a bit of an old model - Rondo 2 is already on the door but still doesn't have all technological improvements like the Sonnet which was introduced in 2014.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was hoping Rondo 2 would be a "pocket" Sonnet. But oh well. I'll stick with Sonnet. Unless of course they come out with a new one soon. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It's been interesting to spend time wearing my Rondos again after using the Sonnets with their ASM 2 features.  There are pros and cons to each processor.  I have been surprised that I don't miss the dual mics of the Sonnets.  The Rondos do great with one mic.  It has been interesting to compare them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Perhaps, improved hearing abilities succeeded to bypass the lack of one microphone...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ivana Marinac

I was wondering that too.  Directional microphones are designed to help people with hearing in noise.  (Although since they are referred to as DIRECTIONAL MICS many people think they are designed to help us locate the direction sound is coming from.) Since I was doing well hearing in noise with ASM 1, I may not miss the added assistance with hearing in noise that ASM 2 provides.  So maybe that is why in my daily life I have not been missing the dual mic feature of the Sonnets.  Also, I have the benefits that being bilateral provide.  This may be very different for unilateral users.

This weekend I was in a very noisy restaurant with my Rondos.  I did fine but it took more focus than it would have taken with the Sonnet's adaptive dual mic setting.

This enjoyment of sound from 360 degrees in omni on my Rondos and the observation in that very noisy restaurant this weekend without ASM 2 adaptive mic setting make me think about using my Sonnets in omni as my primary setting and moving into adaptive for very noisy places.  I will consider trying that.  I tend to be a set it and leave it kind of CI user so we will see.  I have not carried my Fine Tuner around for quite some time.  I leave it at home near my neckloop.  But I can learn to carry it around again.  Smile.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Cool Mary Beth! I do use adaptive in loud settings and it works really well in restaurants. Being unilateral though it's tough. But my CI is dominant now so it works well. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Fingers crossed! I have to wait till the beginning of November to find out if it's next year! On the wait list. Who knows how long. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting observations Mary Beth - up to some extent 2 mics are the advantage... 

I have one family now who consider buying of Rondo or choosing Sonnet as their regular exchange processor from the insurance company. Based on theory, I voted for a Sonnet although the girl is unilateral implantee. And being in over-crowded public places require more comprehensive support.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have heard similar things quite a bit about how the Sonnet is more advanced than the Rondo due to dual mic settings.  (We really can not comment on the built in 2.4 wireless connectivity since it is still a FUTURE tech and hasn’t been released yet.)

I have friends who are huge Rondo fans.  Even though the Sonnet has dual mics.

This past month of using my Rondos only has been quite educational for me.  I do not miss the Sonnet dual mics except in very noisy places.  The Rondos are so much easier to use.  My batteries last a bit more than 3 days in the Rondos so I just change them after 3 days and never have to worry about dead batteries at inconvenient times.  The Artone 3 MAX works just as well with my Rondos as Sonnets and now I have CozyPhone headband headphones too for my Rondos.  Terrific stereo sound that way.

I am going to spend one more month using my Rondos only and then return to my Sonnets.  Stay tuned.  Smile.

For some people, the Sonnet dual mics have given them the ability to hear in situations that they could not hear in before.  I think that is terrific.

@Ivana Marinac

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ivana Marinac I only use one Sonnet and it works really well in noisy settings. I turn the sensitivity down almost all the way and I can hear better than some hearing people. Lol! Love this life!! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
On 15/10/2017 at 10:04 PM, Mary Beth said:

I have heard similar things quite a bit about how the Sonnet is more advanced than the Rondo due to dual mic settings.  (We really can not comment on the built in 2.4 wireless connectivity since it is still a FUTURE tech and hasn’t been released yet.)

I have friends who are huge Rondo fans.  Even though the Sonnet has dual mics.

This past month of using my Rondos only has been quite educational for me.  I do not miss the Sonnet dual mics except in very noisy places.  The Rondos are so much easier to use.  My batteries last a bit more than 3 days in the Rondos so I just change them after 3 days and never have to worry about dead batteries at inconvenient times.  The Artone 3 MAX works just as well with my Rondos as Sonnets and now I have CozyPhone headband headphones too for my Rondos.  Terrific stereo sound that way.

I am going to spend one more month using my Rondos only and then return to my Sonnets.  Stay tuned.  Smile.

For some people, the Sonnet dual mics have given them the ability to hear in situations that they could not hear in before.  I think that is terrific.

@Ivana Marinac

Definitely Mary Beth - for instance, having ability to hear in noisy places is a terrific advantage, although everybody points toward easier wearing of Rondo.

If I can ask you a favor, is there a possibility to compare using of unilaterally Sonnet and Rondo? Unfortunately, this is a situation in my country and I would love if I could have the possibility to advise people in these situations. 

Thank you, Mary Beth, for all - you are such a valuable member of the community, a true discoverer, and experimenter. 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 16/10/2017 at 8:26 PM, Kara of Canada said:

@Ivana Marinac I only use one Sonnet and it works really well in noisy settings. I turn the sensitivity down almost all the way and I can hear better than some hearing people. Lol! Love this life!! 

Yeah! I do the similar to my gang in noisy places and make them crazy! Arghhh! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Ivana Marinac,

I am willing to experiment with unilateral Sonnet versus unilateral Rondo.  Just give me a few months since I am still in my 2 month Rondo only experiment.  Smile.  Remind me.

But I do have some things we can  consider about unilateral Rondo versus unilateral Sonnet.....

The key issues seem to be the Rondo’s single omni mic versus the Sonnet’s dual mic settings of natural or adaptive.

So is seems to focus on hearing in noise, since that is what the dual mics are designed to help with.

Many CI users (especially unilateral CI users) are using the Roger 21 Sonnet integrated receivers when they are in noise,  When the Sonnet uses the Roger receivers, it automatically defaults to omni mic setting.  So when using the Roger System, the Sonnet’s dual mic settings are not active.  In that case, it just becomes a preference for using the Sonnet Roger 21 receivers or using the Roger MyLink receiver neckloop with the Rondos on MT.  Both the Sonnet and the Rondo will be using one mic in omni while using the Roger System.

For those users not using the Roger System, the Sonnet’s dual mic settings may be very helpful in noise.

At the present moment, I am finding the advantages of the Rondo outweigh the Sonnet’s dual mics in noise.  I am actually surprised by this.  It is not what I expected when I started the Rondo only usage last month.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great observations!

I will definitely remind you - I am so interested in this subject... It blows my mind each time...:blink:

• Like 2