Tinnitus after surgery

Anni

Hi everyone.  I'm two days post Op and have a constant beeping in my implantwd ear.  I had very soft static prior to implantation but now have constant (soft) beeping sound.  I'm just wondering if anyone experienced this and if it improved after switch on? 

• HearPeers Heroes

My second side had that and yes it went away after activation. Rest easy.  When is activation?

Oh that's good to hear Mary Beth, thank you.  Just under three weeks away now so not too long :-) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hoping you get just as lucky.  Wishing you the best Anni.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had it also and yes it got better after activation. Best of luck Anni! 

Hi Anni I just wanted to let you know I just had my surgery also last Thursday Aug 31..how are you doing ?

On 06/09/2017 at 6:19 AM, Kara of Canada said:

I had it also and yes it got better after activation. Best of luck Anni! 

Thanks Kara!

1 hour ago, Jane said:

Hi Anni I just wanted to let you know I just had my surgery also last Thursday Aug 31..how are you doing ?

Hi Jane!

Oh wow! Nice to 'meet' you! :) How are you feeling?

I feel like I turned a corner yesterday.  The discomfort was noticeably better and I got a full nights sleep! (I've been on pre and post op Prednisone to try to reduce inflammation and save my residual hearing but it really wasn't agreeing with me and I was only sleeping for about one hour per night the first few nights after my Op so I was feeling terrible from the lack of sleep) but thankfully I've been able to cut down my dose now so things have improved a lot and I'm feeling much more human again ;) 

The beeping/buzzing has settled down too and the tinnitus has returned to just the slight soft static I had pre op (thank you again to everyone that replied to this thread - both for your support and encouragement that this would improve! It gave me some hope and peace of mind in those first few days post op when the tinnitus was really difficult!)  

How are you feeling Jane? I hope you are recovering well!

• Like 2

I'm glad your feeling better and sleeping which I realize is so important! I feel I also turned a corner yesterday since I slept all night long for the first time and again last night ..I've still been taking Tylenol for the pain but I don't really have that high a pain threshold ? On Wednesday I had a bad tension headache which I do get anyhow but with all going on I got really nauseous and until I got with the surgeon and got anti nausea meds (which helped almost immediately) I felt the worst I had this whole time so when that went away I felt great ?I'm just hibernating indoors resting since it's ragweed season where I live and since you're not supposed to blow your nose or sneeze through your nose I feel it's best to stay indoors !my activation date is sept 29 and my post op day with surgeon is Sept 18..I think I'll psychologically feel better after seeing the surgeon to make sure everything's healing like it should !

Oh I'm glad you're feeling a little better now too.. nausea is horrible, I'm sorry you had to deal with that on top of everything! 

Ahh yes.. the nose blowing! ;) I keep forgetting when I'm in the shower and the water/steam gets up my nose - I've blown it out three times now- I could kick myself - I can't believe it's so hard to remember not to do that!!!! Thankfully I only blew just softly to get the water out, but I tell you what - I felt the pressure in my ear straight away each time and I'm praying it didn't interfere with the healing or anything! :( 

My activation is the 19th - but I don't get to see my surgeon for a little while after that as she is away.  My GP and audiologist will check the wound but it feels like it is healing well.  Activation still feels a long time away but I suppose time is good for healing so I'm trying to be patient!    

I forgot one time last Sunday and blew my nose and IMMEDIATELY felt my ear popped I freaked out and was sure I screwed something up but my calm husband calmed me down so I didn't make him call the resident on call like I did the day beforr when my face got more swollen and ear was so numb and they told you to call with any questions and I hadn't found this forum yet!

my initial appointment was supposed to be sept 22 for activation but Audiologist out of town but actually my heads pretty tender I don't mind waiting another week !

i hope all goes well for you I know I'll be on this site for recommendations after activation!

• HearPeers Heroes

You two will be activation buddies!  Awesome.  Can't wait to hear all about your journeys.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

It is so amazing that we have this forum to get to know people that are going through the same process!! Keep resting you two.  The ride is yet to begin!!  

I'm resting right now I'm trying not to freak out my husband came home with a cold yesterday :unsure: he is banished to another room in the house away from me and I'm washing my hands and spraying Chlorox everywhere he's been !

i really don't want his cold right now!

other than that I've been feeling better everyday other than feeling there's a block on my head :P

• HearPeers Heroes

I have tinnitus after surgery. These don't disappear after connection.  I have not detected what produces it because it is random.

• HearPeers Heroes

Tinnitus is a sign when the affected hearing cells can not receive the expected information so brain loose one side of feedback loop.

It may never disappear but when the outer ear will be switched on it will receive and send information to the brain so it will focus on much more important things than "singing" affected hearing cells. 

Good luck ladies! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you @Ivana Marinac

I haven't it all the time. Do you detect high or low when presure wheather change? I detect it when the weather changes are more intense.

• Like 1

Hi Jane! Yes, (yesterday now for me)! Thank you for remembering, that's so nice of you! 

It all went really well - my audiologist was really happy! I have, however, had a residual hearing drop due to the surgery so I will have to go back on steroids for a little bit longer (which i was trying to avoid) to try to improve it and will have to use a hybrid device, but there was always that risk, but switch on itself went really well! :-)

Yours is getting closer now.. are you feeling back to normal yet? Are you getting excited?

Also, I have a question for everyone - I need an audiobook app that has the text and reads aloud simultaneously (for habilitation training).  Does anyone know of one? I can find ones that have book or will play audio but none that do both? 

Aanika :)

Glad today went well! Sorry about the steroids though I've been on them for other things in the past and I didn't like how I felt on them ..I saw my surgeon this past Monday she says everything's fine and my only restrictions are no contact sports but I'm waiting until I'm activated to make sure everything's ok before I start exercising again ..I did start to do more around the house and felt more ear pressure and discomfort so I'm listening to my body and progress at my own speed )I did catch my husbands cold my second week post op that kinda wiped me out a little more ) ..so thanks for asking I'm being patient kinda counting down the days until activation and I'd be interested about that app for audio books also !

Sorry to hear you caught the cold but glad you are feeling better now and your surgeon was happy!!!! :-) I'm getting excited for you!!