Rondo 2 features and questions

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for a Rondo 2 topic @leighf!

one mic or two?

alternative battery option for long listening days?  Any picture of it?

need to use a dry kit?

18 hour battery life going to slowly decrease over time?

ASM 1 or ASM 2?

any built in Roger receiver?

Thanks!

@Mary Beth: I'v been asking myself the exact same questions. According to MED-EL's website, RONDO 2 has only one microphone, no other wireless options besides a telecoil and battery life is claimed to be 'more than five years.' No info about alternative battery options or dry kit.

I have to say, while the sleeker design is appealing and wireless charging does sound convenient, this doesn't seem like a real upgrade to me. In terms of hardware, SONNET is more advanced, I guess. However, I wouldn't want to miss the comfort of a single-unit processor and I'm hearing very well with my RONDOs. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@leighf

Is the Rondo 2 charger a Qi wireless charger?  If so, is it low power or medium power?  Does the charger use guided positioning or placement anywhere?  Can we use other Qi wireless chargers too or only the one that comes with the Rondo 2?

thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Harald F., I am glad you are doing well with your Rondo.  Convenient processor isn't it?  I think we will be hearing more from Med El soon about the Rondo 2.  I like that it is 4 grams lighter than the present Rondo.

@Mary Beth: So many questions! Well, I guess we have to be patient for a little while :-)

I'm very happy with my two RONDOs. I'm sure RONDO 2 will be just as well-designed. One thing I've already noticed, is that they got rid of the tiny mic cover. I am constantly breaking these. So that's definitely an improvement. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes and it seems that the waterwear is designed not to just lay flat on the mic.  There is a ridge all the way around the mic.  I look forward to seeing one.

• HearPeers Heroes

Rondo 2 has a back up batterly pack the runs on aaa that will give you a boost to get through extra long days. I believe it's 35 hours of power. No drying kit needed. Yes Rondo 2 is still one mic so it's not equal to Sonnet BTE. 

• HearPeers Heroes

The idea of dual mics for improving speech understanding in noise seems always to mention a forward facing mic and a rear facing mic.  That positioning of mics allows for helping us focus on sounds from the front.  It is why Med El suggests using omni mic setting when using babywear which clips the Sonnet on a young child's clothing.  I am wondering how effective dual mics would be on a one piece processor when both of the mics are actually facing the same side?

• HearPeers Heroes

From Leigh:

Hi Mary Beth, thanks for all your questions! The RONDO 2 has one omnidirectional  microphone, and is designed for hands-free control with Automatic Sound Management. This minimizes the need to change settings or make adjustments with your remote. The other opening you may be talking about is for LED light indicators. A 4 hour charge on the charging pad provides up to 18 hours of battery life. There is also a Mini Battery Pack available to connect to the RONDO 2 for any extra-long days, which is powered by a standard AAA battery and offers approximately 35 more hours of listening. Due to its splash-proof design, it is actually not necessary to use a Drying Kit with RONDO 2.  Feel free to ask any more questions!

Kind regards, Leigh

this was an answer to your question @Mary Beth

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I saw it Kara.  I thought Leigh wanted to post the Rondo 2 info to the group. Thanks

The Rondo 2 has one mic.  My comment above was wondering how any one piece processor could use dual mic features if both mics are facing the same side?

• HearPeers Heroes

If they put it them on either side of the unit like east and west for example that would probably be good. Just tnking out loud. I'm sure they have considered all options. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I wonder how easy to would be to make that effective.  People have wide differences in the placement of their internal magnets which means the one piece processor mics sit in a range of places.  Whereas a BTE processor hangs on the top of our ears.

just makes me wonder.  

About the dual mic: My implants both sit right above my ears. So, I think, this setup would in fact work for me. But I agree, others have different implant placements that would not allow for such a feature. From what I have seen most people have their implants sitting behind instead of above their ears. I guess, when I got my implants the surgeon had the RONDO processor in mind. But, then again, I'm no expert. I'm sure a ME-DEL engineer could answer all our questions :-)

And even in case the RONDO 2 does not offer an improved hearing experience, not having to carry batteries everywhere I go would be worth the switch.

• HearPeers Heroes

I would think the mic placement on the one piece processor would need to be altered so they both were not on the same face.  But I am not a engineer.  Smile.  

@Harald F., how long have you been implanted?  I was implanted in 2015.

@Mary Beth

Left side was implanted Nov 2012 and activated Dec 2012; right side April and May 2013, respectively. 

I've never used a BTE processor, actually, and I don't know how the dual mics of SONNET would (or could) improve my hearing. Also, I don't know any other CI users, so I lack comparison. Maybe somebody who has made the switch to SONNET wants to share their experience. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I appreciate that there is no wind protector. With my old BTE aid, It was a nightmare in windy days. Do MED EL remove or improve this feature?

Although the improvement in regard to the battery is interesting.  Can we use the 675 disposable batteries as in the current rondo?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin   The management of wind is important.  Some people who have had their Rondo wind cover break many times, have decided just to wear their Rondos without it.  And they do fine so hopefully the Rondo 2 will not have any problems with wind.

I find the Sonnet much more sensitive to wind now with ASM 2 than it was in its US ASM 1 configuration.  It had done a much better job with wind before.

@Harald F.  I have both the Rondos and the Sonnets.  Since the Sonnets were updated in May, I have had some adjustments to make.  Give me a bit more time with these new settings and I will compare how each work for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you @Mary Beth. Really a nightmare as I commented before.

I read also about comments of other users about cover issues. I continue with original cover. Howeber, its great MED EL improve ithis feature in RONDO2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin, I still have original covers on my Rondos too.  Do you tether your Rondo to your hair?  Do you use the silicone bumper?

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, I used clip to clothes but since some weeks, I use fixation loop to my glasses and yes, I use silicone bumper.

I haven't had any problems with wind and I've never ever used the silicone bumper but have the RONDOs attached to my hair at all times. As far as I have seem from the images provided, the RONDO 2 does not have fixtures for the cord of the hair clip like the RONDO has. Am I right? Also, I wonder how the above mentioned Mini Battery Pack is connected to the RONDO 2. 

I've had to replace the mic covers several times. Either I broke them in the climbing gym or when wearing my bicycle helmet or hats. So I'm glad this weak spot is done away with. 

I haven't been able to subscribe to the email alert for availability of the RONDO 2. There seems to be a technical problem. I hope to get some info from the medical engineers at MED-EL office here in Vienna. I need to visit them anyway to buy dry brik replacements.

I guess most our questions will be answered once the device is out and early adopters can report back.