Rondo 2 features and questions

Mary Beth

On 9/22/2017 at 1:06 PM, Mary Beth said:

Sorry @leighf.  I didn't see the FB response.  Okay.  No drying jar at all with Rondo 2.  This is going to make traveling with our CIs much easier since we will not be packing waterwear batteries, disposable batteries nor drying kit!  I do like simple.  Smile.

There is a way to tether the Rondo 2 to our hair, right?

No need for a protector like the Rondo has either?  That silicone/rubber piece that acts like a bumper if it falls?

Hi Mary Beth, thanks for your feedback. Currently there is no silicone protector as you mentioned for the RONDO 2, however we are looking into this :). Kind regards, Leigh 

On 9/22/2017 at 1:08 PM, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

Are we going to get to choose several covers for the Rondo2 in our kit like we get to choose colors for various parts of the Sonnet when we order it?

How many covers will come in the Rondo2 kit?

Hi Mary Beth, we plan on offering a set of colors in each person's switch-on kit, and you can also always order additional design covers to style RONDO 2 however you like!

On 9/23/2017 at 3:47 AM, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

Is the activity clip that you mentioned for Rondo2 the same one that already exists but doesn't work for people with internal Synchrony implants due to the magnet design?

Hi Mary Beth, yes that's correct. Our Activity Clips were designed to be used with all of our implants except the SYNCHRONY implant. GripWear could be another option for increased retention with RONDO 2.

@leighf

Hi, was there also a technical approach to Sonnet or are there only optical changes plus the wireless recharge? Has the sound quality developped? People often write there is a sound difference between Sonnet and Rondo, so I guess a lot of Rondo users hope for approaching to Sonnet. Thanks in advance

On 10/1/2017 at 9:59 PM, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

What is the present Rondo's water resistance rating?

Hi Mary Beth,

RONDO 2 has a splash-proof design with IP54 rating. The RONDO Single-Unit Processor has no IP (Ingress Protection) rating, and instead we offer WaterWear to use with it which offers an IP68 rating. You can read more about it here: https://blog.medel.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-med-el-rondo/

On 9/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, Mary Beth said:

@leighf

Will you share a picture of the Rondo2 activity clip option please?

Here is one! :) 

activityclip RONDO 2.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

The problem I see is Waterwear with actual Rondo requiere change disposable batteries for (not air-zinc) for use it.

We can find rechargeable or disposable batteries (not-zinc). If you want to buy rechargeables, the batteries charger avaliable today only support two batteries at time and Rondo require three to run.

It's great Rondo 2 have better protection for a raining day. I always remove the procesor in the street when rain.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the activity picture @leighf.

I have another question about the Rondo 2.  Are we able to charge it while the waterwear cover is on?  I realize that most times we will charge it overnight but am wondering if charging it with the waterwear cover on is a possibility if for some reason the battery dies while we have the waterwear cover on.

Also, just a suggestion but it would be awesome if Med-El let us choose the cover designs for our Rondo 2 kits like we get to choose the color options of various Sonnet pieces for our Sonnet kits.  I realize it makes packaging the kits more difficult for Med El but it would be really great if we were allowed to choose the Rondo 2 covers in our kit.

I am looking forward to reading people's experiences with Rondo 2 when it is released in 2018 in some countries.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Following previous comment of Mary Beth. If you can charge Rondo 2 with Waterwear. How many days or what perfomance have Waterwear. With Rondo, you need change batteries when these reach end life and you can use same waterwear 3-4 times after use first time, but with Rondo 2 the rechargeable battery don't needto be changed.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, Valentin said:

Following previous comment of Mary Beth. If you can charge Rondo 2 with Waterwear. How many days or what perfomance have Waterwear. With Rondo, you need change batteries when these reach end life and you can use same waterwear 3-4 times after use first time, but with Rondo 2 the rechargeable battery don't needto be changed.

@Mary Beth @Valentin Thanks for your questions!  Yes, you can charge the RONDO 2 with the WaterWear cover on, and there is no risk in doing so. I am just confirming time duration and will get back to you ASAP! :)  Mary Beth - thanks for your feedback regarding the kits and I have forwarded it on to the right teams. 

@leighf

Can the Rondo 2 be recharged  without being totally empty , maybe after 8 hours, so you can use a fully recharged one at night?   And is a 4 hour recharge always necessary or is only 2 to 3 hours during the day also possible? Of course only in exceptional cases ?

Hi everyone,

Here is some information from our RONDO 2 experts regarding using it with WaterWear:

Each WaterWear for RONDO 2 may be used up to 3 times.

Do not wear it for more than 16 hours at a time.

Do not immerse in water for more than 2 hours during the 16 hours maximum usage period.

Use a new adhesive strip for each application and discard after the 3rd use.

This information will also be made available in the RONDO 2 user manual. Hope that helps! Thanks, Leigh 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 7:23 PM, Nik said:

@leighf

Can the Rondo 2 be recharged  without being totally empty , maybe after 8 hours, so you can use a fully recharged one at night?   And is a 4 hour recharge always necessary or is only 2 to 3 hours during the day also possible? Of course only in exceptional cases ?

Hi Nik, thanks for your question! Yes, you can recharge the RONDO 2 at any point, for example after 8 hours of use when there is still battery life left. An approximate four hour charge is to get a full charge from an empty battery, so if there is battery power left, this will take less than four hours. Hope that makes sense! :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

I read this thread and understood that the Rondo2 is not much different than Rondo. The only Major difference is the wireless charging.

I thought it would be smaller in size. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe the difference of no use disposable battery with 18 hours of performance (I have my doubts) It will be great advance.

The rechargeable battery have a limited life time and you need to replace it in two or three years, and with daily running will be going decreasing progressively.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am looking forward to it being 4 grams lighter and using Maestro 7 which hopefully opens up triphasic pulses as an option for those who need them.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

I like the idea of an 18 hour battery that recharges itself in 4 hours and lasts at least 5 years under high demand useage, but I am also concerned about the battery life diminishing over time.  The Opus2 uses DaCapo rechargeable batteries and they were supposed to last up to 16 hours but only lasted 11 for me even when new.  The Sonnet standard rechargeable batteries are supposed to last up to 10 hours.  At first they lasted 10.5 hours consistently for me but within a couple of months that battery life started dropping noticeably.  Now they barely last 9 hours.  So I share your concern about the battery life, especially since there is not a way to use disposable 675 batteries in the Rondo 2.  For me, it may come down to the warranty coverage on the Rondo 2.  Will Med-El replace the Rondo 2 if the battery stops lasting a full listening day while it is under warranty?  I really like the lighter weight, water resistance, ease of use of the Rondo 2 but I need some guarantee about battery life.  After all, we only hear when our processors are powered up.  I routinely have listening days of 16 hours.  I need to know that my processor can handle that day in and day out for 5 years.  I am excited to read about people’s experiences with the Rondo 2 once it is released.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm accord with all you comments @Mary Beth and exactly for this reason I commented it. You explained much better than me.

Hi @leighf,

Sorry if I missed this in one of the previous comments, but is there any indication as to when the Rondo 2 will be available in the US. I have to make a decision soon as to whether I go with MED EL or Cochlear. I am tending toward MED EL, however if I get it now and then a few months later the Rondo 2 comes out I would still have to wait another 5 years to get it with the insurance which would be a total bummer...

Also is there any indication if the Rondo 2 will be available to connect with other Bluetooth devices WITHOUT having to use an extra device? I.e. directly connecting it to your smartphone.

Thanks!

On 10/17/2017 at 7:00 PM, Mary Beth said:

Hi @leighf,

Any luck getting a Q &A session with an engineer like @Kara of Canada suggested?

Hi Mary Beth,

To give you an update on this, it looks like we will be able to get the head of RONDO 2 Product Management online for a live chat in early 2018, probably January. We've decided to wait until then, as we will have even more details about RONDO 2 we can share with you all! I'll keep you all posted on this and will confirm everything as soon as possible. Thanks again for the great suggestion, Kara!

Kind regards, 

Leigh

• Like 2