Rondo 2 features and questions

Mary Beth

On 10/29/2017 at 10:09 PM, ChrisCC said:

Hi @leighf,

Sorry if I missed this in one of the previous comments, but is there any indication as to when the Rondo 2 will be available in the US. I have to make a decision soon as to whether I go with MED EL or Cochlear. I am tending toward MED EL, however if I get it now and then a few months later the Rondo 2 comes out I would still have to wait another 5 years to get it with the insurance which would be a total bummer...

Also is there any indication if the Rondo 2 will be available to connect with other Bluetooth devices WITHOUT having to use an extra device? I.e. directly connecting it to your smartphone.

Thanks!

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your comments and your interest in RONDO 2!  It's great to hear that you are considering joining our MED-EL family! I can understand this is a really big decision-making time for you, so I'll try to offer as much information as I can for you.

Because RONDO 2 is not yet FDA-approved, we are unable to comment on the device or any upgrade programs at this time. However, we recommend connecting with your local Community Engagement Manager to help you make a decision that’s right for you at this time. If you can send me through your full name and state of residence in a private message, I can put you directly in touch with them.

Regarding RONDO 2 connectivity, you are not limited to any one brand of electronics as the audio processor can connect with a range of electronic devices through using an ALD. For example, you can connect with iPhone, Android, and other models of compatible smartphones with a Bluetooth Neckloop. It's not just phones, you can also use an ALD to connect with stereo systems, televisions, and any other Bluetooth-enabled device. @Adam did a review of the Roger Pen and @Kara of Canada reviewed the Quattro 4.0 - they may be able to share more with you here on their experiences.

Additionally, you also might be interested in checking out the stories of CI recipients from around the world and how they have found their journey with MED-EL so far. They write about their own personal experiences here on our MED-EL Blog.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Kind regards,

Leigh

HearPeers Support Team

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Why isn't Rondo 2 lighter and smaller than original Rondo ? 

There is huge difference in size and weight between both Rondos and Kanso from Cochlear and this is why Rondo is losing much in competition. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I think I read that Rondo 2 is 4 grams lighter than Rondo.

• HearPeers Heroes

@leighf

The post I messaged you about is my post in this topic dated 10/24/17. Thanks.

Raj from India.

hello everyone. new to hearpeers.

my daughter had medel ci implant during 2013 at her 3 years . currently she is on opus 1 sound processor with std electrode arrays.                         we like to upgrade to RONDO 2. is it compactable

i heard its available only in European nations currently. i need your feedback of the RONDO 2. thanks a lot. HAPPY HEARing

• HearPeers Heroes
On 12/1/2017 at 2:47 AM, Mary Beth said:

I think I read that Rondo 2 is 4 grams lighter than Rondo.

@leighfCan you confirm this ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Raj lohu!

Although the Rondo 2 is not available in the US yet either, one benefit for us with Med-El is that Med-El makes their new processors backwards compatible.  Honestly, I did not realize that all CI brands did not do that until after I was already implanted.  I was happy to learn that Med-El does make new processors work with all internal CIs.  That will be helpful in future years.

I hope your daughter is doing well with her CI.  Wishing her the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

Check out @Kara of Canada‘s post in this topic dated September 16th.  The picture states that the Rondo 2 is 14.5 g with magnet and cover.

On the Med-El website you can find technical info on the Rondo.  It states that the Rondo is 18.5 g with standard magnet and batteries.

That’s where I got the numbers which show the Rondo 2 is 4 grams lighter than the Rondo.  

I suppose the actual weight difference for a user will depend also in part on the magnet strengths used in each device.

I am glad the Rondo 2 is lighter.  I wonder if my CI center will eventually get one that we can see?

thanks mary beth.   i had contacted MEDEL Delhi office in India. i am in-need of OPUS 1 DACAPO rechargeable battery compartment for my daughter.

thanks a lot for post.

with regards

raj.

• HearPeers Heroes

Why releasing Rondo2 is delayed?

In which country is it going to be released first and when ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

We never know when it will be ready for release. It depends on Med El and each country’s way of approval. Med el has to make them I’m sure. So we are all on the same page here. So no one knows more than you or I. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

Med-El announced the Rondo 2 recently and said it will be available in some countries in early 2018.  Each country has its own regulatory requirements so that results in all devices having staggered release dates.

In the US, the Rondo 2 must receive FDA approval.  In the past Med-El has announced when devices receive FDA approval and include an expected availability time frame.  In the US, there seems to be several months between FDA approval and Med-El releasing the devices here.  I am sure that is due to product preparation for the US market and supply as well as training the clinical audiologists on the new devices.

• HearPeers Heroes

All things have to be approved by Health Canada. The company that wishes to sell or market a medical device has to qualify for a special class there are four classes. Then from there the company will pay their fees and submit documentation. Then the government decides if they do or don’t get approved. When they get approval they pay the annual fee to Health Canada to which they can market their said device. Not sure of how long the process is. Then I guess it’s the doctors discretion from there.  Sounds like the FDA. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Will it be released in MEdel HQs in Austria first? They can release it in Europe first. I am interested to know how people will react to it.

• HearPeers Heroes
24 minutes ago, stream2525 said:

Will it be released in MEdel HQs in Austria first? They can release it in Europe first. I am interested to know how people will react to it.

Stream,

Med-EL has shown Rondo 2 at the biggest ENT conference in Paris, I think. When it is actually produced it will be released everywhere where it is registered.

But this is not so simple... For instance, even the product is registered in the EU, each country has to register a product for itself in order to be able to give patients in their country the newest product. 

• HearPeers Heroes
24 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ivana Marinac

Have you seen the Rondo 2 yet at any conference/training?

No, not in the close encounter. 

Not certain in which phase it, but if it was finished, we would see it.

I remember of public presentation of the Sonnet - it was the real product in my hands, advertised as available...

• HearPeers Heroes

This is what it says on Med-El website

RONDO 2 is approved for countries accepting the CE Mark.

Available beginning of 2018 depending on country.

• HearPeers Heroes
11 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

This is what it says on Med-El website

RONDO 2 is approved for countries accepting the CE Mark.

Available beginning of 2018 depending on country.

Does beginning of 2018 mean January or first quarter?

Why am I asking all these questions? Because I want to make sure it is available in India before I make travel arrangements. Travelling is not an easy thing for me and I need to make my plans. I hope it will be released by February. I already registered for news. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

There is no way for us to predict when Rondo 2 will be available in India or any other country.  Early 2018 can mean anything and can also change.

I would expect that the Med-El team in India would have the most accurate info for India.  However in my experience, Med-El does not release info before their official info releases.  It’s good you signed up to be informed when Rondo 2 is available.  I did as well for availability in the US.  Now we wait and see.

• Like 1