Quatro 4.0 problem

David Crymes

I received my  new Sonnet over a year ago but just now received the Blue Tooth Quatro 4.0 last week. I finally got it working on Friday and could talk to friends and finally use the phone after many years. Now it is not working the same way it did on Friday. Now, my I phone has a audio button where the speaker button was on the screen. I now have to hit speaker instead of Quatro 4.0 to hear to get it to work. Here is the rub......the speaker on the phone blares loudly in order for the blue tooth to work. I leave for surgery and will be in the hospital for a number of days and don't want my calls broadcast up and down the corridors. I called Clearsounds but they have no one to man the phone on weekends. I will be in no shape to try and monkey with this thing in the hospital. If anyone knows what I must be doing wrong I would be grateful for some help... best regards, David

• HearPeers Heroes

@David Crymes

Wishing you the best on your surgery.

First thing I would try is to make sure your Quattro 4 has the most recent firmware (even though you recently received it).

Here is a link for that:

http://info.clearsounds.com/quattro4update

Next I would set my phone to forget the Quattro4 under BlueTooth settings and re-establish the BlueTooth connection to your phone again.

If that doesn't solve your problem,  let me know and I will try to help you.

15 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@David Crymes

Wishing you the best on your surgery.

First thing I would try is to make sure your Quattro 4 has the most recent firmware (even though you recently received it).

Here is a link for that:

http://info.clearsounds.com/quattro4update

Next I would set my phone to forget the Quattro4 under BlueTooth settings and re-establish the BlueTooth connection to your phone again.

If that doesn't solve your problem,  let me know and I will try to help you.

Thanks for your help but I went to the site and it say not for Mac at this time. How can this be. I have nothing but trouble with all this stuff. It is frustrating when you get to be my age and you need the phone for help and find out you have the wrong computer. It is funny so many have Iphones but there is no update for mac users.

• HearPeers Heroes

@David Crymes

Are you using Sonnet, Rondo or Opus2?

(We are an Apple household as well.  And I agree with you completely.  I had to send my Quattro4 to them to have the firmware updated.)

Are you in the US?  If so, there may be a quick solution to help you with calls.  

I am using a sonnet. It took over a year to get the Quattro  that was promised when the sent the sonnet. Med El apparently didn't get the paper work that was sent but failed to reply to my queries on its whereabouts. I finally got it and now I can't update the firmware because my computer is a Mac. Lot of Macs out there. After spending two days reading and struggling with this i find out on the forum there is a fix for people with windows computers. Why wasn't this information in the instructions? I am getting old and these sorts of things are always frustrating. Why would someone send out an incomplete instructions to a product and  let an old deaf man struggle with for hours and hours? What do I do now? I will be stuck in the hospital with no way to communicate on the phone. My wife does this for me when I am home but now I am stuck. What a lousy joke to pull on an old man.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry to hear of your issue. Please contact clear sounds and get immediate help. Make sure you make this known to the rep there. Again sorry for your troubles. I too could not use the phone for many years before implantation. So I feel your pain. Do you have a cell phone? Maybe you can text the important people in your life and let the others do the phone calling. Your life is very importent and if your in hospital then don't let these things be a bother to you. Get well then worry about that.

Take care, Kara ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@David Crymes

Here are my suggestions for a quick fix.  Later you can work out what's wrong with your Quattro4.

Purchase comfortable over the ear Bluetooth headphones.  Pair the headphones to your phone. I use BOSE QC35.  There are other choices.

or

Sign up for the free InnoCaption service.  You read the captions and then speak for yourself.  Check out their website.  (US service only due to government funding).

or

Use your DAI cable with the Sonnet FM battery cover and plug it into your phone's headphone jack.  Talk into the phone like normal.

It sounds like you have a lot going on right now so I would choose whichever option you feel will be easiest for you.

I hope your hospital stay goes well.

On 9/17/2017 at 3:57 PM, David Crymes said:

Thanks for your help but I went to the site and it say not for Mac at this time. How can this be. I have nothing but trouble with all this stuff. It is frustrating when you get to be my age and you need the phone for help and find out you have the wrong computer. It is funny so many have Iphones but there is no update for mac users.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @David Crymes,

Yes I understand.  We are an Apple/Mac household too.  I had to send my Quattro4 to ClearSounds to have the firmware updated.  They have good customer service.  I contacted them through their website and they set everything's up for me to send it into them.  It's not very convenient but it worked out.  In the meantime, I listed several other options that may help you above.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update to the Quatro 4 mystery. I called Clearsounds and spent a few hours on the phone with my wife's help. Clearsounds must have gotten worn down as she finally told me to throw it in a box and send it back. It cost with insurance $17.90 to ship it back and within a week, a small box showed up so I went through the process again. This time, nothing works. There is no volume when you supposedly tap tap to get it to go up and down. It took quite a while just to get it to pair. They told me there was no firmware that I needed as the Quatro 4 already had the right firmware. Does anyone have one of these that work with an I phone? I would like to know if anyone can share any tricks to get it to work. Thanks, David

• HearPeers Heroes

@David Crymes

Yes the Quattro4 works with iPhones both for phone calls as well as streaming music,  audiobooks, etc.

Lets see if I can help you sort this out.

When your iPhone is paired to the Quattro4, it will display a headphones image and you will no longer hear sound from the iPhone speaker at all.  It will be sending the sound via BlueTooth to the Quattro4.  If you press the speaker function on your iPhone, you will be disconnecting the BlueTooth connection to the Quattro4.

With the Quattro4 around your neck and your Sonnet on MT or T (so that it will pick up the telecoil signal from the neckloop), go to BlueTooth on your iPhone and make sure the Quattro4 is connected. If it is not connected, select it.

Make sure the volume on your iPhone is set quite loud.  It should display a headphone image.

Then play a song from your iPhone.  The Quattro 4 Touchscreen lets you adjust the volume up or down to get it at a comfortable level for you.

This should work.

Key points...

-Sonnet must be on MT or T (our audiologists activate those Fine Tuner functions for us)

-Quattro 4must Be turned on (be sure you moved that button that has to be moved upon receiving a new Quattro 4. The directions show that.)

-Quattro 4 must be paired via BlueTooth to your iPhone

-iPhone must be showing that the Quattro4 is the active connection at the moment

-iPhone volume must be set high

If this doesn’t work, let us know.  My Quattro4 connected to my iPhone and iPad easily.

• HearPeers Heroes

@David Crymes

If the suggestions in my post right above this do not help, then maybe Jeff Campagna’s video will help you out.

Mary Beth: My wife and I have hours and more hours into this Quatro 4. Yes it is paired and also used the Medel Fine Tuner. It says both the Quarter and other device are paired. Someone calls, I have to answer with the phone as pushing the silver button twice does not work. All volumes are on high. Phone is not muted. The directions are lacing something. They never once mention using the fine tuner. I learned that on the phone with the lady from Clearsounds. Even she was disgusted. No, the video had little info pertaining to our problem. David

• HearPeers Heroes

I am sorry I wasn’t able to help you David.  I am sure it is frustrating.

Anytime we use a neckloop (Quattro 4j is just one of many, many neckloop options, we must set our processors to MT or T.  All loops, neckloops as well as room loops and silhouette hooks, transmit sound that is picked up by our telecoils.  The only way to activate our telecoils on Med El processors is to use the Fine Tuner and switch to MT or T.  (Of course this is assuming our audiologists have enabled that feature of our Fine Tuner for us.). Hearing aid users with telecoils built in must move into their MT or T setting as well to use neckloops, room loops and silhouettes.

If you are in the US, you can reach out to Med El and ask to be put in contact with your region’s COM (Consumer Outreach Manager).  Your COM may be able to help you.  Your CI audiologist may also be able to help you.  If you keep an eye on the Hands On Hearing website you may get lucky and have a workshop being offered near your location.  It is a terrific workshop and Jeff Campagna and his team do an amazing job of giving each participant individual assistance.

Mary Beth: I just shouldn't be this hard. It takes at least two months to see my audiologist. A lot of people on this forum have just thrown their devices in a box and they collect dust. I would love to see some numbers on how many are really successful.

• HearPeers Heroes

@David Crymes

I agree that it should not be this difficult to get your Quattro 4 working for you.  I actually do not know of anyone else who has not been able to get their Quattro 4 working, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.  Smile.

I had used my Quattro 4 daily for over a year and a half before switching to the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop.  I prefer the Artone neckloop for several reasons, but the Quattro 4 worked easily for me too.

It can be difficult to help someone via a series of posts to a forum.  Many times it works and the person is helped.  This time it doesn’t seem to be working and I am sorry about that.

We are fellow Med El users here just trying to help each other out the best we can.

The one thing that may be helpful for you to check is whether your telecoil is working with a different piece of tech.  Do you have a landline phone that is hearing aid compatible?  Most landline phones are HA compatible.  If so you can test your telecoil function of your Sonnet by switching to T via your Fine Tuner and holding the landline phone up to your Sonnet.  Place a call to your wife’s cell phone and see if you can hear her.  For this purpose, it doesn’t matter if you can actually understand her words...just if you can hear her.  Being on T will limit your sound input to just what is coming through your telecoil.  If you do not hear her and your phone is HA compatible, then either your Sonnet did not switch to T or your Fine Tuner does not have T enabled or something is wrong with your Sonnet’s actual telecoil.

When I press the T or MT button on my Fine Tuner, I hear a beep kind of sound in my Sonnets letting me know the command was received.  Do you hear that when you hold your Fine Tuner close to your Sonnet and press T or MT?

@Kara of Canada, do you have any other ideas that may help David?

@Cara Mia?

@Karen T

One last thought @David Crymes

The best sound for phones and music etc with my Sonnets is when I use BOSE QC35 BlueTooth headphones.  We use them just like everyone else.  No special steps.  Just stay in M and enjoy the sound.  @Sherri and @Karen T also use BOSE QC35 BlueTooth headphones with their Sonnets so they may be willing to share their opinion of them with you too.

good luck David.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, your tips are so exhaustive that I cannot see what else I can say here. I found Quattro 4 so user unfriendly that I has stopped using it long time ago despite it provided a good sound quality. Recently, I got BOSE SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones which I use at work for teleconference call. It is not a noise cancellation headphones. I need to hear what people around me contribute in our conversation along with what comes from headphones. It is twice cheaper that BOSE QC35 but provide very crisp sound when in Bluetooth mode or plugged in a cellphone jack. Sorry David, this took so much your time without bringing any results. Should be very frustrating.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

I find the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop a lot easier to use and much, much smaller and lighter.  I prefer the sound quality too.  I donated both of my Quattro 4 neckloops to others who like their Quattro 4 units so they are in good hands now.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Cara Mia

Are these the headphones you have?  Do you think they would be comfortable for you to wear on long flights or might they press too much on your ear and Sonnets if worn for a long time?

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones_outlet/soundlink_oe_headphones_special.html

You never can go wrong with BOSE sound quality!  I have been a fan of BOSE for years.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine is a different model. It costs $160-180 from the different sellers (mine is from Costco). The color is "Triple Black.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/bose_oe_wireless_headphones.html#ProductTabs_tab0

These headphones are very lightweight. The phone cover lids are incredible soft and gentle, I didn't feel any pressure from them over my Sonnets. I think they should be very comfortable during a long flight. Their battery life is up to 15 hours and it takes 15 minutes to charge them for two extra play time. I wear them two ways with a headphone bridge on my temple and downwards to my neck. I think the second way can work with Rondos, too.

Agree, that BOSE sound is exceptional. I am lucky to have a BOSE system in my car and the difference in sound quality is noticeable if compare to other systems.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

They look great!  I tried my BOSE QC35 with my Rondos with the band kind of forward across my forehead.  They work and it sounds great but it looks ridiculous.  I haven’t tried them with the band backwards like you mentioned.  I will test that out,  

• HearPeers Heroes

First thanks @Mary Beth  I would add that to make sure the Sonnet is paired with the finetumer first. Then you need to make sure the phone is in Bluetooth mode. Go into settings and make sure that it says paired with Quattro 4. Then make the screen on the Quattro says iPhone or if you have a name for your phone make sure that appears. To answer a call it should appear incoming on the Quattro screen. Then double click the power button to answer. Then your phone will give you the option for what connection to use. Should appear Quattro 4 (iPhone) slelct Quattro 4. The call should be in progress now. When done call press and hold the power button on the Quattro for three seconds then you should hear call terminated. I hope this helps. As a Med El recipient we have exclusive access to the VIP hotline at clearsounds. 1888 340-1002 or email at medelsupport@clearsounds.com  I hope this helps. Please let me know @David Crymes if this doesn’t work.