It's ON like donkey kong!

zeezai

Got switched on a few hours ago. I love it! It's not perfect - yet - but after a couple of fine tuning I'm sure it will be.

I've had SSD practically all my life so I didn't know what to expect or say during the initial setup. And i was so self-conscious because everyone was looking at me. I didn't want to disappoint them and myself.

First, I was asked if I there was a difference but I couldn't hear anything on my left and if I plug my right ear, i could hear voices clearly but as soft as a whisper so i asked to increase the volume. It took a couple of tries until I could hear on my left ear without plugging my right. Is that how it's supposed to be? The audiologist kept asking me if my left was balanced with my right. But my right always will be dominant, in my opinion or maybe that's just i've known all my life so i don't know how to anseer that question.

Also, we had it done in a quiet room so when i went to the mall later to see how it would be like, all the sounds were coming in my right side. I was a bit disappointed. Maybe I should go back to increase the volume again? Is that safe?

Another concern is i keep hearing a high pitched sound - like feedback but i read somewhere that there shouldn't be feedback since there's no ear mold like hearing aids.

Oh yeah, the audi accidentally dropped the processor while she was demonstrating how to use the clip. Could it have caused the feedback? I hope it's not broken!

I'm sorry I cannot answer any of your questions, Zee, but I wanted to say congratulations!

Did your audi hook it up to some computerized 'checker' to see that all seemed well with it after dropping it?

I know I've dropped my HA's multiple times over the years - without mishap.

Heck, I've even put them partway through the washing machine's cycle and restored them to perfect use (by putting them in my Dry 'N' Store and running it continuously for 48 hours, plus kept the Dry N Store itself in the basement near our woodstove - which dries the air out terribly).

Anyway, good luck to you!

• HearPeers Heroes

Zee,

CONGRATULATIONS!! I know this has to be exciting for you. don't worry at all as far as dissapointing people. your audi is well aware that every person is a little different and will start to pick up new sounds at different rates. I have CI's but can remember how quickly sounds started to sound too soft. As your brain gets used to the new sounds, the become softer and softer. kind of like when you are in a dark room and somebody turns on the lights. initially it is REALLY bright but as you get used to it and your eyes adjust, it becomes less and less bright. I'm sure they will adjust the next time you are mapped. be sure to keep a journal and write down specifically when you hear any feedback and what it sounds like. This will help the audi make the adjustments needed. I have dropped my processor on the floor plenty of times with now issues. I'm sure the issue is more of a mapping question.

Let us know how you are getting along

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

one more thought, the high pitched sound might be tinnitus. be sure to note when you hear it and when you dont.

Adam,

I love your analogy of the dark room/bright lights; I'm sure I'll be using it to explain to folks what it's like once I get my CI and start the process of 'adjusting'.

• HearPeers Heroes

educating family but especially freinds and coworkers will be very important as you would be amazed at some of the misconceptions. even after explaining the process, many at work actually thought i would have surgery on Thursday and show up to work on Monday and be able to hear perfectly. Uh yeah, not so much. I still have to remind people That I won't hear 100% in every situation.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with some of the misconceptions too. I was activated this past Monday with the Rondo and the first day home I started getting telephone calls! Had to let friends know that it will be awhile before I use the telephone. It is definitely a whole new world. I am enjoying every minute. Adam is so right in keeping a journal. And the 3 Ps. Patience being the hardest. Educating family and friends is definitely a priority. Good luck Zee!

• HearPeers Heroes

Another concern is i keep hearing a high pitched sound - like feedback but i read somewhere that there shouldn't be feedback since there's no ear mold like hearing aids.

Any Cockatoo's in the Philippines?

Cool

Congratulations Zee!

Hi Zee, really pleased to hear that your activation went well. I was able to hear for 4 weeks after my last stapedotomy (before my incus fell off!) and I remember lots of sounds being unbearable at first - the toilet flushing, the sound of the car on the motorway - but they all calmed down in the space of a few weeks when my brain got used to them again.

Does your audio processor sit over the 'golf ball' as we described it? Mine still sticks out quite a lot so I'm wondering how far the audio processor will stick out on top of that.....

I'm counting down the days until my switch on - only 22 to go :-)

Janine