Loudness of your voice

Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

Did anyone have a problem with the loudness of their voice. Prior to my implant everyone complained that my voice was too low and they couldn't hear me. Now I talk too loud. Is this because of all the background noises that I now hear. How did you overcome this problem?

Sandy, I think you are absolutely correct. Since we now hear ambient noise we feel we need to override it. My spousal warning system (SWS)is in constant readiness in case she feels I am too loud. It is non-verbal in nature so there is no excuse allowed.  Seriously you just need to be aware that your voice can be construed as being too loud. I purposely pitch my voice softer but in crowded situations, I forget so the SWSsprings into action.

Sandy,

I had a tendency to speak louder than I thought when first activated, too. Fortunately I had good family and friends to give the "hand signal" to lower my voice. This usually in occurs in noisy environments and crowds. Eventually you'll learn to adjust the volume of your voice as you gain more experience with your CI.

Sid

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks John and Sid. I have a very good friend who is doing the hand signal for me while we are at the convention this weekend. Also, being in so many different environments is great. And I can't believe the interest that people show when they see that I have a CI. I feel very energized.

Sandy, have you been asked if you were an undercover Mountie with a secret communication device, yet? It's a great answer to use!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy

Before activation I was very concious of being too loud, the problem was i usually over compensated and my wife contantly had to tell me i was mumbling. Unlike secret agent John, My  spousal warning system tells me to SPEAK UP!!

after I was activated, it took a few minutes plus the audi to tell me thatthe  noise i was hearing every time i tried to spek was ME!

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa, don't encourage him!! Laughing

Hi Sandy,

Funny, I had the opposite problem after activation.  Because I was hearing my own voice so much better I talked softer.  Regardless, STILL, in loud situations I regularly ask my friends if I'm talking too loud.  It's hard to gauge, but like everything else I've experienced with my CI, with time it gets better!

Hi Sandy,

Funny, I had the opposite problem after activation.  Because I was hearing my own voice so much better I talked softer.  Regardless, STILL, in loud situations I regularly ask my friends if I'm talking too loud.  It's hard to gauge, but like everything else I've experienced with my CI, with time it gets better!

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm with Camille - I was told I was talking too softly after activation.

I was the same as Matt and Camille.  My friends were amazed that I was so much quieter than before and actually like it.  No one complains that I am too soft.  To me though I sound the same in terms of volume as when I had HA.  So that is a bonus.  I can be quieter in noisy environments and have to remind myself to speak up but the listener's body cues can indicate when this needs to happen so I don't worry about till then.  I don't have a SWS.  But I do have FWS :)  Of course it is also early days - only just over a month so who knows if I will start speaking louder in a couple of years time?  Maybe the volume will need to be increased then??

Karen