favorite WOW moments

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

This will most definitely be my favorite topic to follow!  I just LOVE WOW moments.  I can’t wait to read everyone’s WOW moments.

Here are some of my favorite WOW moments with my CIs.

-I heard my grand nephew hiccup on FaceTime when he was only one month old.

-I identified songs playing on the radio while driving to work.  My private Name That Tune game.  Smile.

-I conversed with family members from different rooms in the house and even from upstairs to the living room.

-I heard the waves in the ocean while boogie boarding.

-A flock of geese flew overhead and I heard individual geese honks!  Crazy wild!

-Hearing my cats purr.

-Playing the piano again after decades of being unable to do so.

-Hearing my family whisper, actually whisper, into my processors.  

So many WOW moments.  Life changing.

I have 3 WOW moments. The first was about a month after activation. Because I was never completely deaf I had no idea what I was missing! I remember my husband and I going for a walk on the beach which we had done frequently, but this day the sounds of birds overwhelmed me! I had no idea what I had been missing and that they were so loud. Amazing!!

My next 2 moments were being in the delivery room when my Grands were born! Babies cry loud when they enter this world! What a sound!! And today they both call their Gammy’s name over and over! My heart continues to be overwhelmed in a very good way!

• HearPeers Heroes

So happy you are hearing your grandkids and they are keeping you plenty busy!  I was surprised at how many birds were in our neighborhood too!  I love listening to the sounds of nature.

• Like 2

From this week,  without a doubt,  this moment I heard the microwave beeps in the kitchenette at work.  And I was actually sitting behind closed door! In the lunchroom! All the way by the windows! I could not believe my implant!

#WOWMOMENT

Truly liberating,  considering the fact that in past life I could barely hear it while standing right next....

Ok I wanna add, listening to music on the radio at work or while driving,  and actually RECOGNISING songs.   It becomes clearer with time. #WOW

• HearPeers Heroes

There’s so many WOW moments! I think my favorites of all time are hearing the jingling of my dog’s name tag on her collar and hearing her toenails click on the hard wood floor ? never gets old, I love it!!! Another WOW moment was hearing clocks ticking and chiming for the first time. 

Recently, I discovered several new WOW moments: I could hear on the phone in “M” and didn’t need to use Telecoil. It was awesome! Another recent one was a little girl whispered into my CI ear and I understood everything she said. I could never do that before. And I heard rain falling on the roof and I didn’t recognize it but then I realized that must be what rain sounds like!!!!

Smile ?

• HearPeers Heroes

You have some Awesome WOW moments too @Mary Beth! Like hearing your cat purr, I’ve yet to hear that ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Megan L.!  Hearing my cat purr is one of my favorite sounds.  One day the house was quiet and I was reading in the living room.  I heard a sound and asked my family what it was.  It was my cat snoring across the room!  How wild is that?!  

I am still experiencing WOW moments over 2 1/2 years post activation.  You will too.

I read a study which followed adults with CIs for 5 years post activation and at the end of the study people were still making progress.  Their conclusion was that progress continues for at least 5 years.  Smile.  I wish they would’ve kept following the same people.  I have a feeling our brains just keep getting better and better at using this wonderful auditory info.

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely will have to say talking on the phone again. Listening to the birds was another wow for me. Like a concert in nature! An annoying one hearing the hydro meter from inside the house. Music is definitely an life altering thing to hear! I have always loved music and I have not listened to it for almost ten years till my implant. Loving life again with all these new sounds! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I was thinking of getting a cat sometime over the next couple months. Then I will for sure hear the purring at some point ? What kind of cat do you have? 

The WOW moments have been crazy awesome on this thread!! That’s so encouraging to know that the CI will continue to improve and evolve over a 5 year span ? sounds like a really cool study and too bad they didn’t follow the same people. It’s amazing what human brain can do. Smile ?

• HearPeers Heroes
44 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

So true @Kara of Canada.  Music is such a welcome addition.  Are you enjoying any artists in particular?

@Mary Beth I lately have been enjoying Whitney Houston! Took a few times to get clarity but it sounds just as I remember it. 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada, the Sound Hound app is awesome for lyrics!  If you hold your phone horizontally, it will display the lyrics and highlight the words as they are being sung.  Definitely addictive.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I have been using lyrics a-z. I screen shot them and use them over and over. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I used to look up lyrics too but Sound Hound makes life so much simpler.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L., We have two cats.  They kind of found us.  They were littermates from a feral cat that someone was feeding.  They have been with us since they were 7 weeks old.  Tiny, tiny kittens who are now 13 years old.  Hard to believe how time flies.

I kept a journal (actually I am still adding to it) of my CI journey from activation day forward.  I love to go back and read all of the WOW moments.  So many WOW moments.  Best decisions ever.

Reading about people’s WOW moments is my favorite too!  But today I had an idea for another interesting topic.  Should be funny I think.  I will tag you.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Megan L.

Reading about people’s WOW moments is my favorite too!  But today I had an idea for another interesting topic.  Should be funny I think.  I will tag you.

please tag me too if it's about purr-fect  sounds

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth 

Your kitties sound wonderful! They chose a good forever home. Smile ? 

A journal is a really good idea. I guess I should have done something similar so I could go back and read my CI accomplishments. That is something you’ll have forever! WOW moments are definitely fun to read ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Gang,

Although I was never completely deaf my situation is different - even when I had my hearing aid, everything sounded melt into one big bowl of porridge.

First WOW sound is definitely when I have heard (right after the activation) a difference when my Doc started clicking on a keyboard right beside a sound speaker - Rolling Stones were on.... 

Second WOW was the next day - after a night call, off-duty team passes a status to the next - on-duty team. A high ceiling room with a catastrophic acoustic where I could never differ 2 voices - suddenly I could understand 2 or even 3 discussions between. This was and will be such an exquisite moment for my lifetime...

Third WOW was definitely hearing a rain outside with closed windows.

Fourth I have such urge to describe as I am an extreme music lover - hearing a symphonic orchestra and having the ability to differ a separate instrument. Hearing an organ or harp in this big mess... Unforgettable... 

• HearPeers Heroes

I love your WOW moments @Ivana Marinac!  Recognizing the musical instrument voices when they are playing together is a favorite WOW moment of mine too.  I can’t get enough of it.  And then later on it blows my mind when I realize I am listening with only a limited number off electrodes versus an acoustical hearing ear.  The power of the brain!  I love neuroplasticity.

• Like 2