favorite WOW moments

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Well a few weeks ago I left the house with my processor on but while driving I realised I left my pouch with my rechargeable batteries! I couldn't bother to turn back and go home. The battery lasted until about 4:10 and work finishes at 4:30. Whew! Needless to say that from then on I double check that I have my batteries in my bag before leaving the house. 

• HearPeers Heroes

You all are so funny!  I don’t know anyone who puts on processors before they shower if they shower upon waking up!  LOL ? 

However, there are other times we shower!   ? 

Great chuckle for Monday morning.

• Haha 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Invariable morning routine:

1. Start coffee

2. Feed cats

3. Shower/hair/all the other stuff that occurs in the bathroom

4. Breakfast

5. Change into work clothes

6. Processors on, batteries and Fine Tuner in pockets

7. Go to work

Items 1 and 2 are critical.

Well I put my processors on before breakfast :P just to hear my cat purring before I go lol.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Daniel the Stranger

How is your beloved feline doing?

Fantastic, he is all play all the time he is up. Now that we are talking about him, I realised that I can hear him breathing through his mouth when he is sleeping. He sleeps on top of the pantry next to the fridge not too far from the couch but still. 

Next to where he is sitting is the dinning table and next to the dinning table is the couch. I could hear him breathing through his mouth just recently because my new processor is facing his bed which is next to the fridge on top of the pantry.

IMG-20181014-121653.jpg

He is growing fast, he is now 6 months old.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ha... come back from badly lurking/forgetting about the forum again (I'm alive!) to stumble across such a pretty kitty, and an amusingly on-point tangent for those of us who don't hear.  

It's funny, since I don't really think I feel the need for actual 'breaks', exactly, but I'm so with some of you in simply not bothering to put my ears on for a while if I don't need to hear, just totally at ease in the silence until I either leave for the day, or start doing something that requires sound!  Heck, sometimes on my days off, unless I bring up a show or movie or run out or have a visit, I can go half the day without using them!

That said, to give a 'nod' to the thread topic, there were a couple cool moments lately since I've been gone that you'll appreciate - number one was realizing it's been ages since I actually went to the theater to see a movie... just preoccupied, or got busy, or nothing I wanted to see, or right at the beginning of things, knew it wouldn't sound the best.  Now, though, I knew things sounded better and kinda missed going, so I took myself to see Ralph Wrecks the Internet, for fun.  ;) And, honestly, wow, it was kinda Loud!!  ;D   I even turned it down just a tiny notch with my remote.  Still used the Capti-view, of course, and hard to tell sometimes, but pretty sure I caught more words on my own before I had actually 'read' them.  So, cool.

The other moment was on Thanksgiving... I got stuck with the morning shift at the store (yay, retail), but it actually wasn't so bad... dead all day since people were home, or on the grocery side of the store instead of my department, then got to run out of there to family dinner before the night sales started!  But part of the day, the "prep crew" was getting ready for the night sales by going down one of the huge main aisles, and could hear the distinct 'shhhh' sound much louder as they put plastic (cling)-wrap around the sale displays.  It faded after they got a couple departments down from me, then they stopped.  A moment later, I'm puzzled thinking I faintly hear it again, thinking they were done, and go out in the main aisle, and I see, allll the way down almost on the other side of the store from me, someone plastic-wrapping another display!  ;D

My mom also swears I hear her better in different situations or without looking, but... yeah... sometimes it's hard to tell for yourself, or seems to vary, or just staying positive when you feel like you're 'coasting' or not being a 'good user', still not hearing well with certain things at all.  But since this is just the WOW thread, I'm sticking to my good stories, and just saying hi again!   *waves!*

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C. glad you’re doing well! Great WOW moments. I feel like the movies is a milestone 👍 how was Wreack It Ralph? I saw the first one and loved it!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

Great to read your update.  Feel free to share your difficult experiences too.  You can always begin a new thread for us.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Emily C.

Nice to see you back on HP! Great wow moments. There are yet more to come. I agree with Mary Beth. Feel free to share the bad experiences too. We are all in this together. 

• HearPeers Heroes
13 hours ago, Jewel said:

Hey @Emily C.

Nice to see you back on HP! Great wow moments. There are yet more to come. I agree with Mary Beth. Feel free to share the bad experiences too. We are all in this together. 

So do we need a "ICK Moments" thread?  😀

I actually had one this week, and it mirrored a similar day that I had while rehabbing my first CI, so I think it is, for me at least, just part of the process.  Part of what I do for aural rehab is listen to music in the car, and with my first CI it was actually starting to sound pretty good.  But then I got the second one and have been using it alone in the car.  Rough sounds, but slowly getting better, and then suddenly on Tuesday it was AWFUL.  Just sucked.  And I remembered having that day with the first one too....and like the other time, it was followed by a day that sounded better.

This morning I was listening with my new CI again and while it's not good, it's better than it was, and I trust the process.  But it's kind of a shame, I have a good sound system in my car that's kind of wasted just now!

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s not wasted @Mary Featherston.  Just imagine what the song woulda sounded on a poor sound system!  Smile.

it will improve.  Trust the journey.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

It’s not wasted @Mary Featherston.  Just imagine what the song woulda sounded on a poor sound system!  Smile.

it will improve.  Trust the journey.

Oh, I do.  Individual days can be frustrating, but if i didn't trust the journey I would never have gone ahead with the second CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

There are frustrating parts of this journey for sure.  People do not tend to post much about their frustrations.  That is kind of unfortunate because others may benefit from realizing that even long time successful CI users have had frustrating moments.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

So true @Mary Beth ! Maybe we should start a post about some of the frustrating moments we encounter or encountered 👍

When I first heard the tv, it was AWFUL. It was all noise and static. But I worked through it because I believed it would get better and it did. Same goes for the kitchen noises!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I think it would be helpful.  And it would help us be supportive too.

Another Wowish thing from today:  I went out at noon to a supermarket where they have a good salad bar.  At checkout the woman on the cash register asked me how long I'd had my CIs, and said that her husband has had them for eleven years.  It's kind of cool to run into people who know what those things on my head are!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

thats so awesome! I’ve yet to run into anyone who’s been touched by CIs....I have all of you though 😁

• Like 2

I already did before, but just wanted to share how cool it sounds when the cat sniffs you lol, sniff sniff sniff sniff 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, it's not bad, thanks!  But... yeah, yeah, I know can share everything, too... thanks guys.  Was just trying to stick to the thread, and... as you know how it goes... sometimes you only have little moments here and there to speak up about, and otherwise 'coast' along through daily life.  It's just the 'coasting' part I think I was poking myself about, depending on how my mood/energy/heck, even the weather varied.  Like I wasn't being proactive or 'yay' enough about working on things.  But I'll talk about that in the other threads.

Awww.... the sound of your pets sniffing you...  Hee...   😜

• Like 2