favorite WOW moments

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly, @Nikki - even hallway conversations as you pass by someone become easy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So this week they started to keep the doors to our department locked so you have to swipe in or press a button to get entry. 

I was the first one to reach work yesterday and while in my office I heard a sound I've never heard before since being implanted. After a while I decided to follow the sound. Turns out when people press the button, it sets off a doorbell sound. All these years I had no idea. 

I heard it with my Rondo 2! Been wearing it for the past week! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

All these happy Rondo 2 people are getting me excited!

• HearPeers Heroes

On Friday I moved into a different office.  My old one was across from a space we use for training classes and crew meetings and since I've had my CIs it's like trying to work with a cocktail party going on in the next room.  So I've switched with a conference room and am farther away.

Imagine something being too loud!

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I had a couple Wow moments over the past two days. 

I was sitting watching TV at the rear of my house and I heard a beeping sound similar to when a vehicle is reversing. Went to investigate and sure enough there was a truck reversing into my neighbour's driveway. That means I heard this from over 60 feet away! Amazing to me! 

Then I was at an ATM today and I was putting stuff into my purse and I could hear the sounds being made by the ATM next to mine! They are enclosed separately. 

It's funny, I didn't know that ATMs make sounds when you punch the keypad, etc, until after getting the CI! 

• 9 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

It has been a long time since I've had a wow moment. Today I wore my Rondo2 and heard a cat purr for the first time in maybe 20 years! 

Even though I need a mapping i heard the cat very clearly! 

Hearing people who wear masks is another story though. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I’m so happy for you!  A cat purr is a beautiful sound!

Are people in your community wearing face masks?

Face masks are not a common sight here at this time.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Only a few are wearing masks here. They caught their fright when it was announced yesterday that a woman who came from the UK and arrived in Jamaica last week has been diagnosed with COVID-19. 

• 1 month later...

My latest “Wow” moment is the other day I had a phone interview for a job! It went pretty well. I lost the ability to talk on the phone years ago and still shy away from using one but to actually be able to accomplish this was great! To actually consider my hearing has recovered enough to return to work was also unthinkable before the implant. So I guess a couple of “Wow” moments.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Now thunder!  First thought it was the planes flying over head to Malaga airport, then on the second time realised in connection with the rain , that it was definitely thunder!!!😆

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tracey_66 said:

Now thunder!  First thought it was the planes flying over head to Malaga airport, then on the second time realised in connection with the rain , that it was definitely thunder!!!😆

How awesome is that!!!

Happy for you and sharing your excitement! @Tracey_66

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66 YAY!!! Even after 4 years I’m still amazed when I hear the rain and thunder!! Never gets old. Enjoy 😊 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I have had my CI for approximately 3 and a half weeks and had a wow moment last night! I have in the past tried the exercises in “The listening room” only to fail to understand the sentence exercises. Well yesterday it was a lot more clearer and I could make out most of the answers correctly!! It is not super clear but getting better!

Question: I hear a voice by exercises or direct contact and hear it along with some distortion. If I concentrate on the part that sounds normal, the distortion seems to get minimized and forgot about and almost eliminated.   Is this others have experienced?  

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@cwoodrow55

congratulations!  Exciting!

yes very normal.  Voices will sound clearer and clearer as time goes on.  Voices sound very natural to me but at first they definitely did not!  Smile

@cwoodrow55that's fantastic.  

It's nice to note progress! 

I've had similar experience, listening to song I knew by title but was able to make sense only of small fragment, if anything.  I kept on listening from part my brain somehow recognized, replaying it over and over (and over again).  After several times (many... I didn't give up) it all came together!  

Is music now enjoyable to you?  You have had your implants for a good while now.

Voices and instruments are garbled to me but drums are not. Of course I am still a “newbie”. Drums come through pretty good though.  

What are your experiences 

• HearPeers Heroes

@cwoodrow55

music sounds AMAZING to me now.  There was a noticeable improvement in music at about 3-4 months after activation and then it steadily improved from there.  Here is a link to my music & CI journey if you are interested.

https://blog.medel.com/3-steps-to-rediscovering-music-with-a-cochlear-implant/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@cwoodrow55  Music now is very good yes! I enjoy it a lot!!!!!! It's been a process.  I'm about 3.5 years with CIs. Had CI on one ear and HA on other and was really nervous about giving up that last bit of natural hearing mostly bc I hated the thought of perhaps never enjoying music the same way again. 

When I got my CI I was so excited to hear music again that I spent nights binging on music so it was way better than not being able to hear music.  It didn't all sound good in the beginning.  For the most part it sounded rustic. Mechanical.  With no depth and no much soul.  I found some genres sounded better... like electronic music... new age ..amazing electric guitars.  While some of my all time favorites, like Day Tripper the Beatles sounded like nothing.  It was like a shell with no content,  no lyrics and not much instruments beyond drums :( I think I finally managed to make sense of this particular song about a year ago.   Throughout this entire time i've been listening and i'm amazed every day of what I can hear.  There's really good illusion of natural hearing when it comes to music now.  It's definitely been getting better with more complex music and musical instruments that I love.  Listening is a pleasure whether new or old. 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes
On 3/30/2021 at 10:04 PM, cwoodrow55 said:

Is music now enjoyable to you?  You have had your implants for a good while now.

Voices and instruments are garbled to me but drums are not. Of course I am still a “newbie”. Drums come through pretty good though.  

What are your experiences 

I was listening to music right away, and it started sounding pretty good after ~3 months.  But it continues to improve (I am coming up on the three-year anniversary of my first implant) and I've noticed definite improvement in the last year.  It keeps getting better.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi, day 3....dedicated today to music listening (after word stuff) began with a few oldies most were pretty full of twangs and mice. Went to just listen to guitar....first track started with a few snaps nd pops, by the 5th track, all snaps were gone and i could definately hear the guitar strums! Amazing!!!! This is such a positive and encouraging thing...it reinforces patience and training. So i went outside and was a little startled by a loud background sound which i realized waS dry corn stalks in the wind!!! Ive been here two years and never heard that! We are surrouned on three sides by field corn and it is loud man! Im having wows daily!