favorite WOW moments

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Here’s a weird wow moment. The toilet paper holders make a strange noise from other stalls. Never heard that one before. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Kara of Canada said:

Here’s a weird wow moment. The toilet paper holders make a strange noise from other stalls. Never heard that one before. 

Could be worse.  At work our production workers aren't allowed their cell phones in the production area, so on their breaks and lunchtimes some of them are on the phone continuously.  Think how that sounds from the next stall!

• HearPeers Heroes

For sure @Mary Featherston  what a strange sound world we live in. I’m somtimes quite glad for the quiet breaks. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Another new one from just now:  I never heard the noise your teeth make when you eat corn on the cob before.

I find that the bits of corn that get stuck in my teeth aren't affected by my being able to hear, though.  :-)

8 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

!!!!!!!!

I just had a phone call - didn't answer, but stood and listened while they left a message and I COULD HEAR THE MESSAGE!  I haven't heard a voice mail intelligibly in years.  Guys, I'm practically crying.

One of my favorites!  Feels absolutely liberating.  And it is!

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a new wow from this morning.  On weekends I usually wake up before my husband.  I go out to the kitchen and have breakfast -you know, it's a weekend, I have more time than when I'm going to work and can take my time and read while I eat.  Then I usually come back into the bedroom - it's kind of long, maybe 28 feet, and the bed's at one end and at the other end is a couple of chairs facing a fireplace and bookshelves.  My laptop is there, and I bring my coffee and either read or get on the computer. 

When I come into the room, the cats follow me.  We close the door and leave them in the living room at night because they're inconsiderate little jerks and walk on us and wake us up.  :lol:

They hop up on the bed and lie down by my husband.  And then, sitting in my chair, I heard him talking.  Turns out that when the cats join him, he pets them and talks to them.  I never knew.  I had my back to him and was what, 18 - 20 feet away!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

No more secret talking in your house!

• HearPeers Heroes

That's what my husband said, "now I can't keep anything from you"  - and I told him that right there was worth the cost of the implant.  :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

A few new WOW moments for me this week:  rain on the roof of the car, birds, birds and birds - we were up in the woods and I was hearing more birds than I ever have.  It was wonderful.  The odd sound that water makes boiling in my brother's kettle on the gas burner.  And this morning at home I started doing some of the PILES of laundry and in the utility room where the washer and dryer are, I heard a noise.  None of the machines were on yet, so it wasn't that.  It wasn't the air conditioner either, that was last week's WOW moment.

I finally realized that it's been pounding rain since about 5am this morning, and it was the sump pump.  I have never heard it before.  Not exactly music, but I'll take it.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Here's one I've been waiting for:  my cat's purr.  Just heard it for the first time.

Of course, it's only AFTER discovering that he's really annoying with his continual meows.  He's 17 and has, in recent years, been waking up, feeling lonely and just MEOWING as loud as he can, calling for company.  My husband always did hear him but pre-CI I only heard it if I was right next to him.  Now, though, jeez, it's all the dang time.  This time he walked up to my chair and  hopped up on the hassock and looked at me meaningfully so I invited him up on my lap.  He jumped up and settled down, I was petting him and...bingo.

I heard him purr.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol pets are amazing! I was walking my dog the other day and I notice I could hear her sniffing. I could only hear it if it was right next to me before. But as she walking and sniffing it was so amazing! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Does this seem likely?  I'm, hm, about five weeks post-activation. This morning I went into work and the music in the car sounded just as bad as it has been (I've seen some improvement, but it's pretty incremental) and most people still didn't sound normal.  But then this afternoon I was standing outside one of our buildings and talking to a co-worker and Chad sounded almost normal.  And I spoke to a couple of other guys later in the afternoon, and Adam and Andy and Joe all sounded pretty normal too.  At dinner my husband sounded clear and even a little louder than he has.  And then I got on the treadmill and was watching a video and THAT sounded much better.

Is it possible to get that kind of step-change all at once or am I going to wake up in the morning hearing Mickey Mouse again?

I mean, this is significant.

If it stays.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT?  My husband is talking to his brother on the phone, in another room and I can both hear and understand him.  I'm gobsmacked.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope so, @Jewel - I'm a little afraid I'll wake up in the morning and have regressed, but wow, right now, I tell you....it's so obviously changed.

Hi @Mary Featherston it is so good to read different experiences. I'm glad you are improving. In my case, it has been the opposite because it seems that my brain is asking for more sound and a mapping is due this Friday.

Sometimes I hear better, sometimes not, the best days were 6 days after my last mapping. Sometimes music sounds good, sometimes not... besides, it seems that I'm going to get the flu so it doesn't help either.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope the flu passes quickly, Daniel.  Bleh.

I really struggled after my last mapping, but just spent loads of time on rehab - and maybe last week helped too, I spent a LOT of time with the audiobooks and the music and my neckloop.  I'm still nervous that it won't last, but all I can do is wait and see.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds great. It is not a steady improvement.  You reach plateaus then jump ahead.  You may step back after new MAPpings or when in need of a new MAPping and then jump ahead.  Crazy ride right?  In the end you will stabilize and things will become consistent.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel  That varies by individual as well as approaches used by our audiologists.  Some audiologists prefer a slower approach to increasing current levels and others prefer a more rapid approach.

Either way, at some point our need for increased current stabilizes.  From that point forward, I describe our MAPpings as fine tuning.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Since @Kara of Canada and I seem to be collecting weird WOW moments:  in my chair at the far end of the bedroom this morning with my laptop (as is normal on Saturday mornings) and I was listening, from quite far away, to my husband snoring.  And then our cat Spike, who was on the bed with my husband, started meowing piteously as he does when, inexplicably, no one is petting him.  It was like a chorus over there.  But seriously, not one I would have heard before my CI!

And, @Daniel the Stranger - how are you feeling?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston...cool Saturday morning sounds.  I was surprised to learn that our cats actually snore sometimes.  I never knew cats snored!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, yes - actually, Spike snores too, @Mary Beth - he's something of a senior citizen, will be 17 in August.

@Mary Featherston, I have had a terrible weekend. Couldn't sleep properly Thursday and Friday night because of a bad cold. My mapping was postponed to Monday as I wasn't hearing properly due to pressure in my ear. 

Today Sunday I'm feeling much better, I had a good night sleep and so looking forward to mapping tomorrow. Thanks for asking.

• Like 1