favorite WOW moments

Mary Beth

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Today I met three people. One who had an implant and wore a Kanso (Cochlear) one who had a bonebridge implant and someone who was waiting to receive their implant! What a great day! I didn’t get much chance to talk with the person with the bonebridge but the other two I did! The gentlemen with the Kansi was having some issues. He was experiencing severe tinnitus which was affecting his ability to hear with the implant as wellas his vertigo which was affecting his ability to go back to work. He was very kind and so far was actually doing quite well. At his first month appointment he was at 87% speech comprehension. Today at five moths he was down to 65%. So he got an emergency appointment to see his dr and the tinnitus was supposed to work itself out. As for back to work he got a note from the dr to doa staggered reentry back on modified duties. He just started back to work and was unable to handle a full day. He will do the staggered duties and will be eligible for retirement and the end of May. That’s his plan! 

The other person who was waititing for his implant I talked them (and his wife) about what to expect. I also gave them my email. I actually felt I accomplished something. I have so many times just sat in the waiting room and did nothing. So what a great day!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow moment: Life is real good!

This is a huge wow moment when you realize you feel whole again.   For those who followed my journey know it started far from ideal.   No speech discrimination, a true daily struggle.  Now, 3.5 months post activation  (Of re- implantation! THANK YOU Dr. Pillsbury at UNC), I'm amazed at how great this implant work. Better than in my wildest dreams! Turned my life around completely.  I'm able to travel again around the world,  not worrying about not managing situations.   Traveling has been great because it kept my senses alert, truly intensified my hearing experience. 

Recent wow moments:

Talking to at least one stranger a day,  without worry

Hearing and understanding speech and music and everyting else without meaning to or even directing to it

Calling the property manager on the phone and getting what is said

Yesterday at my parents house,  answering the phone at my own free will and taking a recorded message and also following instructions for confirming appointment,  all sounds crystal clear

Driving and listening to radio station.  Great music! And I recognize songs in both languages! I understand lyrics of songs I've never heard before even tho the radio reception is crappy!  Understanding right away which language is on although they go back and forth quite a bit!

Hearing a conversation upstairs,  and clearly.  Everyting they said plus details such as numbers mentioned (Of course I verified I heard the number right !)

Birds

Couple of weeks ago,  standing in the back yard and hearing a man (neighbour) talk on the other side of the fence.  It was man voice and I could understand everything he said without even seeing who it was 

My nephew's little voice and I can get it all!

I hope I get to add more to this thread. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki

Your post brings tears to my eyes!  Great job Nikki!

My favourite wow moment I could hear and understand most of what my nieces were saying, they were 3 at the time.

Other wow moments: 

I could hear my dog coming down the hallway.  No more collisions between her and I yay!

The full bird call and realising I used to hear half of it now I hear all of it.

Wind chimes so musical.

A conversation with my dad whilst he was coming from another room without lipreading OMG!

Communicating in noise, I no longer have to stop conversations because a plane is going over head I can keep going.

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s terrific @Leisa!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ha, @Leisa - I was in urgent care on Sunday (not a biggie, I didn't break my foot, turns out I have arthritis) and the doctor and I were talking and she told me about a friend of hers who was deaf from birth, got a CI, and her WOW moments were hearing her husband's voice for the first time and realizing for the first time that her dog's nails on hardwood make a clickety sound.  Pretty cool stuff.  Nikki, I'm so happy for you too, your wow moments are a list of awesome.

I'm counting down to activation myself.  @Kara of Canada two days for you!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks everyone! I’m so excited to get it over with! I think this new ear will have great response as it has more residual hearng left after surgery than the first! I also plant to work hard! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Are you getting a Sonnet or a Sonnet EAS on the new side?

@Kara of Canada

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth just a plain sonnet. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

New things I've heard today, six hours after activation:  my computer mouse makes a clicky noise when I use the button.  Ice cubes make a crackly noise when you pour a warm drink on them.  And my car's turn signals also click.

Apparently I've been living a more or less click-free existence, and look at 'em all!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston wait till you discover beeps!!!! I couldn’t believe how many things beeped in the world - washer/dryer, microwave, the keypad at work, oh my! ? sounds like you’re off to a good start. Welcome to the noise!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, @Ivana Marinac, that's just wonderful.  My only new thing for the evening is that I just discovered that the little drawer thingy on the DVD player makes a noise when it slides in and out.

I need to listen to an orchestra.  And rain!  What a great list.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! Birds are my favourite. They are all so unique. ????

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Kara of Canada said:

Lol! Birds are my favourite. They are all so unique. ????

Today at noon I went for a walk - there's a little wetland kind of thing on our campus with a quarter-mile oval path around it.  I had my CI and also my hearing aid in the left ear (I've found that I can't just go to CI at work yet, people DO expect me to hear) and I could hear birds as I know they sound through the HA and a rather chirpier sound of the same birds through the CI.  It was kind of odd.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I heard the birds better too! While voices were muffled. It was amazing!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Another Wow on Friday:  I have been trying to use my CI only and not wear the hearing aid.  When I'm with people one on one I can, sometimes but in large meetings it's just not possible.  But on Friday I had a meeting with two other people, and left the hearing aid off, and was fine.

They didn't sound normal, but I could understand.  It was a great little bit of progress.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Another couple of milestones:  I was just doing some rehab and did a lot of repetitions of vowel discrimination pairs and I swear, there was a point at which the voices in the middle frequencies seemed to be noticeably more coherent.  That was more a feeling of relief than anything else, because it confirms that the sounds are going to come together.

So then I went into the kitchen and put a loaf of banana bread in the oven (I can't do rehab 100% of the time) and then made myself a drink.  And I heard, for the first time in at least thirty years, the sound that a carbonated drink makes when it fizzes up in your glass.  Holy moly, peeps.

• HearPeers Heroes

I remember that moment clearly too!  Crazy isn’t it?

great moment.  Thanks for sharing.

Wishing you many more great weekend listening moments.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Amazing @Mary Featherston!!!

I remember the first time I heard soda fizzing and fajitas sizzling. I had never heard it before because it was never in my range - I was confused for a moment and then leaned in towards the drink and fajitas and was like “whoaaaaaaa!” 

Sounds like you are making wonderful progress ? super happy for you!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

!!!!!!!!

I just had a phone call - didn't answer, but stood and listened while they left a message and I COULD HEAR THE MESSAGE!  I haven't heard a voice mail intelligibly in years.  Guys, I'm practically crying.

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific @Mary Featherston!  Wishing you many more “moved to tears” moments.

• Like 1