Most surprising sounds!

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

As I learned to listen with my CI, some sounds actually shocked me.  Which sounds surprised you the most?

Surprising sounds for me....

-I was shocked to discover that our clothing actually makes noise as we move.  I was so self-conscious about this.  I knew our feet/shoes made noise but was shocked that our shirts make noise too! (I no longer notice this sound.)

-The fizz of ginger ale in a glass as it just sits there long after being poured.

-How many things squeak in our home....screen doors, file cabinet drawers......I found myself wanting to oil everything!

-How loud plates are when I unload the dishwasher!  (Thankfully this is something my brain got used to.). There were many weeks of very gentle handling of dishes though!  Smile

@Megan L.  tag, you are it!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki is making me add to my list of surprising sounds so that I can tag her!  Here is a cat connection, just for you Nikki.

-I was surprised to discover that one of our cats has a joint that clicks with every step he takes.  Thankfully it doesn’t seem to slow him down at all!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great idea @Mary Beth

Lets see...what sounds surprised me:

-the clicking of the stove to light a burner

-the ice maker and the “whooooosssssh” sound it made. I had no idea you could hear the water going in!

-things rattling around in the side door of my car. I drove around for the longest time in complete ignorant bliss of the annoying sound ? 

-my parents have a clock that makes one “ding!” every hour on the hour. I never knew it made a noise. I always thought it was a clock that didn’t make any noise.

-my clothes making noise especially my pants! *swish swish swish* 

-flushing the toilet was beyond annoying for like a month. Eventually, my brain adapted but it was surprising how much noise water makes getting flushed ?

- and yes! The fizzing of soda! I couldn’t believe it the first time I figured out it was the soda fizzing. I put my ear right next to it and “fizzzzzzzzssssss” ? I think sizzling fajitas can also go here since they sound similar ? 

Tagging @Nikki for some more fun!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Nikki is making me add to my list of surprising sounds so that I can tag her!  Here is a cat connection, just for you Nikki.

-I was surprised to discover that one of our cats has a joint that clicks with every step he takes.  Thankfully it doesn’t seem to slow him down at all!

Shocking! I hope I get good CI training before my kitties start clicking. Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

I have no doubt that you are going to get good CI training my friend.  @Nikki

• HearPeers Heroes

A humming sounds from hummingbirds' wings flapping

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Just like you guys I had the clicking of the stove igniter was amazing. The sizzling of ground beef as it cooked. Actually having to tell others to turn the TV down! It’s way too loud sometimes! I can hear the washing machine from the main floor. It’s upstairs. The bathroom fan is annoying. The hydro meter outside as the couch is up agansit that wall.  I can hear if my dog growls. Hearing cars go by the house. I loved the fizzing sound of soda. Or the snack crackle pop sound of Rice Krispies!! The things I can’t hear outside is a person behind me or a bicycle. So I have to watch for those. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada  You may find the omni Sonnet mic setting helpful in those situations as it picks up sounds all around us.  Med-El mentions that in addition to Sonnet waterwear use, omni mic setting can be helpful when listening to people in the back seat of the car while riding in the front.  I also find omni to bring out the best full bass sounds of music.  

Both natural and adaptive mic settings dampen sounds from behind to give added focus on sounds in front of us to help us in noisy situations.  However, sometimes we do not want sounds from behind to be dampened.  That is when omni may be helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Beth I use omni as my main program. But remember I’m unilateral so I only hear well on one side. 

• HearPeers Heroes

After I typed that, I wondered if you were one of the people who use Sonnets in omni mic setting as your regular program. I am going to try that soon too.

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s me! My Audi was kind of surprised but agreed with me as my other ear is weak and only gives me about 10-15% sound so I use the implanted ear for the rest. It picks up the slack but need to gather sound from all around to do that. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

For example since few months, I have been hearing the sound of wall clock, more recently  the (tap, tap....) of mobil keyboard when I write in apps as Whatsapp, email or other.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan 

Hearing humming birds is on my hearing bucket list! That’s so awesome you got to hear them ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

Maybe you and I should practice so we can recognize hummingbird chirping!

• HearPeers Heroes

Whoa....now when we post a link a picture shows up.  Cool!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Great video of hummingbirds!!!!!! They do make so much noise. I had no idea they chirped like that and I heard a buzzing which I’m guessing was their wings. We should definitely practice so we’ll be prepared in the spring time ? smile!

• Like 2