Why did you chose Medel over other brands?

stream2525

• HearPeers Heroes

Why did you chose Medel over other brands? 

Your answers might help people like me who are considering CI in the near future . Please tell us your opinion .

In addition, which processor are you using , and why you love than more than other ones? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I had a choice between the 3 CI brands that are FDA approved, Med-El, Advanced Bionics and Cochlear.  Due to the condition of my cochlea, the surgeon needed to have a split electrode array option in the operating room in case the regular electrode arrays would not go in.  Two companies at that time offered split array options; Med-El and Cochlear.  When we discussed which company’s set of electrode array options gave the best chance of working in my cochlea we chose Med-El.  Med-El has a test electrode array(s) which can be used by our surgeons during the operation.

So my choice was the result of the many electrode array options that Med-El offers and the condition of my right cochlea.

Eight months later when it was time to implant my left side, I was again given a choice.  I chose Med-El based on the awesome results my right side experienced in such a short time.

There are many things to consider when choosing a brand.  After the fact, I learned that not all brands offer backwards compatibility when they release new processors.  Med-El does and I will appreciate that many years from now when I can use the newest Med-El processors with my present internal parts.

I have 3 types of Med-El processors (Sonnets, Rondos and an Opus2).  The Rondos and Opus2 processors are based on the same platform- just different wearing options.  The Sonnet is a BTE processor with dual mics and offers an integrated Roger X receiver called the Roger 21.  Although it has built-in 2.4 wireless connectivity, Med-El has not yet released the devices that work with that feature so it is dormant at this time.  Med-El has recently announced the Rondo 2 processor.  You can read lots of information about the Rondo 2 here in the Rondo 2 topic.

I wish you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was not given a choice. The medical team here in Ontario chooses for you. I have a Sonnet and I love it! I chose Sonnet because I wanted the latest technology as it has to last for five years minimum. 

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Support MRI. When I was surgered, the implant support  TESLA 1 .5, but now and new syncrony implant they allow up to TESLA 3.0 without remove internal magnet.