Differences in Cochlear Implants

stream2525

• HearPeers Heroes

Some users due to inner ear anatomy issues  may not be able to use the Flex 28.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 01/11/2017 at 8:53 AM, stream2525 said:

I am a little confused. If FLEX 24 and FLEX 28 will lead to same results, r why would have the EAS? 

Active stimulation range is longer with Flex28.

Like I have described - a dynamic of the hearing loss advancement is also important. There are various approaches: some surgeons do understand the effect of preserving residual hearing although it is vanishing, some just override that period and trust to the electrical stimulation which eventually will replace all natural hearing.

On 11/1/2017 at 8:53 AM, stream2525 said:

I am a little confused. If FLEX 24 and FLEX 28 will lead to same results, r why would have the EAS? 

Hi stream2525,

Everyone is offering very good information. We can’t directly give medical advice here, but it’s good that you’re doing all the research you can. Every person’s needs are different, so you should discuss your goals with your clinical team.

Cara Mia has pointed out that many studies show longer flexible arrays can also allow a degree of preserved hearing. What’s generally most important is surgeon’s techniques and using a flexible array, like all MED-EL FLEX arrays.

Hicksy also makes a good point. There’s always a risk of losing residual hearing, but long arrays can help provide better hearing performance. If you lose residual hearing, a long array can help cover more of your cochlea for better, more natural sound quality.

Hope that helps

!

Kind regards, 

Leigh

HearPeers Support Team

• 1 year later...

@Mary Beth

For Mary Beth and others interested in this topic

I am scheduled for implant in Feb and am qualified for EAS.  I will have the  opportunity to trial  both Sonnet EAS and Rondo 2.   These posts have been very helpful.  Please correct me if my take a ways are incorrect.  First, the Synchrony implant will function correctly with Sonnet EAS and Rondo 2 in corresponding trials.  Major confusion factor from Med-El documentation which often implies there is a distinct Synchrony EAS.  There is not.  Further, if the need occurs Sonnet EAS can be converted to a purely electric processor without difficulty.  A question in that regard,  How would the physical hearing aid attachment on Sonnet be disabled/removed?  

My surgeon has not yet discussed electrodes with me.  She has mentioned an intent to preserve residual hearing.  From what I've read here and elsewhere it appears the Flex24 is not necessary, in deed the majority opinion would be Flex28 is a more flexible option (no pun intended). 

I recall reading that no. 675 batteries are said to last 60 hours.  I assume that's the best option available.  I will look seriously at the EAS option but still love the simplicity of Rondo 2.  My thanks to all for the discussion.

C T Lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

Internal Synchrony implant works with lots of different Med-El processors.  Med-El makes processors backward compatible so future processors will work with internal Synchrony implants too.  That will become important to you later on.

Med-El has 2 different Sonnet processors. One is a Sonnet that ONLY works with CI output.  The other is a Sonnet EAS which can work with combined CI and low frequency HA output OR work with only CI output.

For a Sonnet EAS to function ONLY with CI output....

-audiologist programs it that way 

-SONNET EAS earhook is replaced with Sonnet earhook which is completely sealed

-earmold is removed

The decision about electrode arrays is best to have with your surgeon.  All cochleas are different and require different electrode arrays.  Not all surgeons will use a FLEX28 when hearing preservation is the goal.  

Rondo 2 must use the built in rechargeable battery.  No option for 675 disposable batteries.

Sonnet has rechargeable battery options and also works with disposable batteries.  I prefer Power One implant zinc air batteries and they last 2 full listening days for me.

Everyone’s battery life varies.  In part skin flap thickness can impact battery life.

• HearPeers Heroes

And I forgot to mention,

both FLEX24 and FLEX28 are flexible arrays.  They vary in length.

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

Mary Beth has provided lots of info. I had qualified for the Sonnet EAS before surgery but after surgery the EAS was no longer an option. The EAS kit is just like the Sonnet. If I was gonna use the EAS part, the audi would merely have taken an impression of my ear like how they do for HAs in order to make the mould for the acoustic part. That mould just slips on to the earhook for EAS processors. I never got the mould made but I can still use the EAS earhook like a regular Sonnet without EAS. 

I have the Flex 28 electrode array and I have been able to use both the Sonnet and the Rondo2. It's good that you can trial both to see which one you prefer. Everyone's different. 

I charged the Rondo2 yesterday morning and I'm still using it from that charge! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

If you are using your Sonnet EAS just for CI  function, ask your audiologist to switch it to the earhook for Sonnet.  That earhook is completely closed at the tip.  Med-El recommends using that earhook so no moisture enters the processor.  You may have a Sonnet earhook in your kit in one of the many boxes/bags.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Good.  It’s humid where you live and I didn’t want you to run into any problems.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

About 14 listening hours so far. I just put it on again. Want to see at what point it dies before charging it. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I’m interested in your test too!  It would be interesting to repeat the test every 6 months to see if things change.

Are you liking using the one piece processor?  How does it sound compared to your Sonnet?  Do you still hear that unwanted noise in the car with the Rondo 2?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry @Mary Beth, just saw your last post.

I wore the Rondo2 yesterday for another 8+ hours. I know Med-El says it should be working for 18 hours but I'm sure that I got more than 18 hours, then I got the familiar dead battery beeps for about 5 minutes. 

I absolutely love the Rondo2! I hear my TV very well with just it. When I use the Sonnet, I have to place the Roger Pen near the TV speaker to make out what's being said. 

When I was in the US, I didn't notice wind noise in the car with the Rondo2 and I was able to make out what people were saying much clearer than when I wore the Sonnet up there. 

I haven't worn the Rondo2 on the road in Jamaica yet so not sure how it will sound when I'm driving my car. The audi put a car program on it so I will be sure to sync my Rondo2 with my Fine Tuner tonight. Gonna wear it all day tomorrow. 

Usually I don't put on the Sonnet until when I'm about to leave the house but today I found myself getting the Rondo2 before heading to have breakfast with my family in the dining room. That's how much I love it! 

The sound quality is very good. I did rehab with ABCLIX using the Rondo2 yesterday and for the first time I was able to make out that the speaker said "click on the word..." I never made out the word "click" before! 

My only concern is that when I just plop down in a chair the Rondo2 falls off but I have the hair clip in so it doesn't fall to the ground. So I guess the Rondo2 wouldn't be appropriate if I'm going dancing! 

Just realised I didn't get any Waterwear for the Rondo2 in the PLUSRONDO kit. So I have to make sure to order so I can have it for the Niagara Falls trip. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Wow this sounds very promising for you!  Yay!

Others have reported way above 18 hours too.  Someone posted a continuous 21 hours on a crazy long listening day.

I can dance with my Rondo and in fact play on the beach with it without any problems.  Maybe it is a magnet strength issue or do you mean you bump your head on a chair and knock it off?  Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Good listening on CLIX!  Yup.  That’s what it says.  Smile.

I am so happy you like your Rondo 2!  Keep posting about it.  I want to learn all about it.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I have a 3S magnet for the Rondo2 and the audi put me down to a 3 for the Sonnet last week since I sometimes feel like blood is rushing to the magnet area. 

When I say I plop into a chair, I mean that I just fall onto the chair hard, not taking my time and gently easing onto the chair. 

I don't want to get stronger magnets. It has only fallen off a handful of times since Thursday. I will watch it. 

I will definitely post about my Rondo2 experiences. 

Did your audi conduct hearing tests with you wearing Sonnets vs Rondos? I'm curious as to how different my hearing is with my Sonnet and my Rondo2. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been tested with all three of my processors.  Not on the same day.

I am always interested in my booth testing results.  BUT I know how things sound to me in my real life and that is more important to me than any test in a booth.  I learned to trust my own perceptions of what is working and what is not working in my actual life.  

You will know which MAP or which processor is your favorite.  And that is what is most important, no matter what a booth test result shows.  Our listening lives are nothing like a test in a soundbooth.

It is similar to me coming to the realization that I hear better with my Sonnets in omni.  Doesn’t matter that research shows dual mics help in noise etc.  For me, listening is effortless in omni.  So I choose to stay in omni.

Fortunately for me, I work with an amazing CI audiologist who is so great at listening to me describe my perceptions and so supportive of my CI journey.  She is focused on what works best for me.

Trust yourself @Jewel.  You will know what is the best fit for you.