Sound Meter App to check what I can hear.

mgfiest

Ok, so I put this sound meter app on my phone to check what the db's are at the source.

Normal conversation it reads 50 - 70db.. that's good and I hear just about everything.

Now we go to the TV, I have surround sound and the farthest speaker is about 12 feet from me. When I set the volume to be at a comfortable level for my wife, it's about 50db, to soft for me to get all the conversation. I turn up the TV to about 70db, which is now to loud for my wife but I can get all the conversation.

How do I tell my audi about this and what can be changed to make it consistent.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep the sound on the TV surround sound so it is comfortable for your wife.  If you have the ability to increase volume via your Fine Tuner, you can use that to bring the TV to a comfortable volume for you.  You can also increase your sensitivity setting to reach further out for sound via your Fine Tuner-especially since you mention speakers that are 12 feet away from you.

Our audiologists set our access to the Fine Tuner buttons and set the Fine Tuner to allow us to both increase and decrease volume or just allow us to decrease volume.

In the meantime, if these ideas do not work for you, you can use assistive tech to stream the TV to a BlueTooth neckloop or via Roger.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

I am not sure if you have the Roger Pen and Roger 21 receiver.  That is an option to plug into your sound system that will give you a louder signal than through the air.

If you have an Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop, you can add the TV streamer.  That would also give you access to volume controls that will not impact the volume for your wife.  Artone recently updated their TV streamer.  Here is a link:

http://www.artonecs.com/store/p15/Artone_TVB_-_new_optical_TV_-_hearing_aid_tranmsitter_.html

Just some options I need case volume and sensitivity on your processor do not solve your problem.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

I agree.  That’s why I hope you can solve it via your volume and/or sensitivity settings on your Fine Tuner.  You may also ask your audiologist to give you a dedicated MAP for watching TV so then you just switch to that program slot and are all set.

Do you have an omni mic setting on your Sonnet?  That may work with surround sound better than Natural or Adaptive.  Just a thought.

i have it on all the time... adjusting the volume due to my low tones issue in my other thread... makes it annoying... guess I will wait for my next visit... with this on it's list of issues... lol

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

Sonnets have three mic setting options that our audiologists set in our programs.  Omni, Natural and adaptive.  

Are you in omni all of the time?  Am I understanding that correctly?

As mentioned in another post, the spouse controls the volume of the home theatre system (avr) while I can balance the volume of the Roger Pen by plugging it into the headphone jack of the tv and using the tv volume to balance the two. It works well. As an added bonus, I can mute the avr and just output the tv via the Roger Pen when playing the Xbox thereby sparing the spouse of the cacophony of that!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

Are you finding any other times when you like using your Roger Pen and Roger receiver in addition to using it with the TV and XBox?

I’ve only had it a short time, but I found it very useful sitting around a low light setting with a group of friends as well as the home theatre. In a restaurant setting I have had mixed results so far. Sometimes I pick up too much. I’m sure it’s just a matter of getting comfortable with the different mic settings. So far a very positive result.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

That’s great.  The Roger Pen reverts out of omni mode even when placed flat on a table as soon as the noise level reaches 70dB. That is easily reached in noisy restaurants.  When that happens, the Roger Pen is just picking up whatever sounds it is aimed at- it is no longer picking up sounds from all around the table.  So it’s best to have someone wear it in those situations or point it at people.  Roger Touchscreen Mic Transmitter does very well on a table in noise if someone is looking for a transmitter for that situation.

I enjoy testing out tech options and hearing people’s experiences with various tech devices so thanks for sharing.

I’m a techy as well and kind of kicking myself for not getting the pen earlier. I’ve had the Artone neckloop since day one and find it a great help as well. Not quite to the level of talking on the phone yet but hoping the Roger Pen works best for that...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

You may want to check out Telephone With Confidence.  Just search the web for it.  You call in and listen to either a word list, a sentence or a longer passage.  You can follow along with the text from the website.  It’s boring but a good way to test out how different ways of listening on the phone work for you as you can try the Pen, then call back with the neckloop, etc.  It is also helpful for people trying to figure out how best to position the phone whe;using MT or T settings.  

I am glad you are doing so well.  When were you activated?