Samba processor not working

Kimmay

?Hello everybody. Does anyone else have a problem with their Samba processor? I’m on my third one now. I scrunch my hair in the morning after I wash it and I would put my samba processor on shortly after that. After my second one I stopped wearing it so soon and I would let my hair dry. I’m now on my third one and it is still cutting in and out. It seems like such great technology and the hearing is awesome but then I run into problems with my samba processor cutting in and out often. It’s discouraging! Does anyone else have this problem ? ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Kimmay,

Can you describe me little bit thoroughly what is happening to you? Cutting in and out means - stop working?

You put your Samba while your hair is wet? 

Pardon me, I am not native English speaker so it is possible that I didn't understand you well. 

I wear my Samba, now three years consecutively and this has never happened to me - but I beware very carefully and never EVER put it even close to moist or anything like. My biggest problem is a frequent dusting of microphone cover so my sound deteriorates after 6 months or similar....

My samba will make a short circuit sound and then completely shut off. Sometimes it won’t come back on until I open the battery door and then close it again. It’s happened with three of them so far. The last one I got I stopped wearing it when my hair was damp and air drying. But it still made short circuit sound and turned off and on. Three different processors now. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Which brand batteries are you using?  I am a CI user and I had lots of trouble with my Sonnets and ZeniPower batteries.  When I switched to PowerOne batteries the problems all went away.  Just a thought.

You know, I never thought of that!!! I’m using batteries that I buy at a drug store but they aren’t made for medical equipment. I should be using the batteries the audiologist prescribed!!! THANK YOU MARY BETH! I’m going to order new batteries tomorrow !

I will keep you posted and again thank you! Hoping this works. 

• HearPeers Heroes
21 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

How is a Samba mic cleaned of dust @Ivana Marinac?

Unfortunately, there is no way because there are no removable covers like on the Sonnet.

Outer unit is regularly swapped for another if this is indicated by tests. 

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Kimmay said:

My samba will make a short circuit sound and then completely shut off. Sometimes it won’t come back on until I open the battery door and then close it again. It’s happened with three of them so far. The last one I got I stopped wearing it when my hair was damp and air drying. But it still made short circuit sound and turned off and on. Three different processors now. 

This is really too much... Do you put your processors on your head while your hair is still wet?

I never do that. 

Did you ask for an appointment with the Med-EL support - I guess, it is reasonable to expect that internal unit should be rechecked.

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Which brand batteries are you using?  I am a CI user and I had lots of trouble with my Sonnets and ZeniPower batteries.  When I switched to PowerOne batteries the problems all went away.  Just a thought.

Hmmm... I have never had an opportunity to test ZeniPower batteries... Did you have these kinds of episode that batteries just - died.

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Kimmay said:

You know, I never thought of that!!! I’m using batteries that I buy at a drug store but they aren’t made for medical equipment. I should be using the batteries the audiologist prescribed!!! THANK YOU MARY BETH! I’m going to order new batteries tomorrow !

I will keep you posted and again thank you! Hoping this works. 

Try to find Power One, Duracell or Rayovac - implant type.

I guess you will find it faster in a hearing aid shop or at your local audiologist. Try also order from Amazon or E-Bay - they have good deals!

Also, before put it working, tape off their sticker and leave a battery on the air for 5 minutes in total and then put it in the compartment of your BB.

• HearPeers Heroes
  • HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ivana Marinac

Yes ZeniPower CI batteries gave my Sonnets false battery beeps and powered down.

Huh! :wacko:     interesting....

I am regular user of Power One and Rayovac mentioned above and I have never experienced something like that....

I might experience that few batteries are not as strong as some other... but, then I change them and - everything is well then...

I live in Sudbury Ontario which is six hours away from London Ontario Cananda, which is where my audiologist is located and also where I got the operation done. I can’t pop in and see her whenever I like but I go to London every six months for a check up (I have cholesteatoma and have to have the skin removed from my ears often) and usually see her at the same time for a hearing test or for something with my Samba. Power One Implant batteries 675 are the ones I am supposed to be using but have to buy them off the internet and I find it convient to just buy Durecell 675 batteries at a pharmacy store or Walmart. My audiologist is sending me batteries and if they don’t work then I am meeting with a Med-El rep again (I’ve met one of them once before). This is the third processor I have so somethings going on. I’m hoping it’s the batteries. I love my Samba and the beautiful sound it offers me. Thank you kindly for your help and input ladies, I appreciate it.?

19 hours ago, Ivana Marinac said:

eng_pl_Batteries-RAYOVAC-675-IMPLANT-PRO

7E58E852-F67D-4B3B-9EAA-4BB9908F38BE.jpegThese are the ones I have to order off of the Med-El internet site according to my audiologist advice, which she told me from day one (I’m kinda immature at times and don’t always take advice until I realize I should of taken advice they offered lol ?)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kimmay,

I understand you - I have approximately 4 hours of driving up to a place where is my clinical engineer. 

Yeah - any of the aforementioned battery brand works well and confidently. Even Duracell 625 - I have tested them also although they are not an implant type of battery which only means that they should be more potent or the distribution of power should be more uniform during its use. 

I like Power-One both because of their reliability but also a possibility of buying it. I buy mine on E-Bay, for instance.

On 2017-11-02 at 1:02 PM, Ivana Marinac said:

This is really too much... Do you put your processors on your head while your hair is still wet?

I never do that. 

Did you ask for an appointment with the Med-EL support - I guess, it is reasonable to expect that internal unit should be rechecked.

I was thinking the same thing about the internal unit being checked because it seems odd I’ve been thru two (currently on third) sambas so far. I asked my audiologist and she thinks it’s the batteries. So I guess we will investigate that first. So far so good with the new batteries, it has been two days and it hasn’t shut off.  Thank you for your input and ideas Ivana! I appreciate it. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope the batteries solve your problem!  Keep us posted.