Need information

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

@hadronThanks! 

I am leaning towards Dr Eshragi for the operation. 

I would appreciate @Jdashiellrecommending an audiologist. I plan to request the appointments on Monday. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel Eshraghi is a great choice. 

I have heard good things about audiologist Diane Martinez. 

• HearPeers Heroes

On 11/10/2017 at 3:39 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Jewel  I think @Jdashiell , @hadron and @KittKatz may know names of well respected CI surgeons in Florida.

UMiami is very good. Well respected group of excellent CI surgeons and AUDs. I see Dr Adrien Eshraghi md and Dr Alicia Restrepo AuD 

Dr. Restrepo  is young but very knowledgeable. Although  she was assigned to me, I am impressed with her capabilities. 

Dr. Eshraghi has done extensive research on my case and has had communication with MedEl to develop special implant electrode array for me  I feel very lucky to have him in my corner!

I hope to get a new surgery date soon, waiting to hear Dec 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Very nice @Jdashiell. So how long did it take you to do all the tests and have meetings with docs at UMiami to reach this point? 

I had University of Miami doctors both of my surgeries ttrough the VA. I had Dr. Eschragi my first ear and Dr. Dinh from my second ear.  They have a great program and a great mentoring system there. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of their doctors. If you happen to be in Tampa Tampa hearing and balance center supposed to be one of the best 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Unfortunately going to Tampa would mean two planes! @KittKatz

Thanks. I am feeling comfortable with my decision to do it at UMiami. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Tampa Bay Hearing and Balace is very good. Drs. Bartels and Danner.

UnIversity of Florida at Gainesville has the distinguished surgeon Dr. Antonelli.

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Jewel said:

Very nice @Jdashiell. So how long did it take you to do all the tests and have meetings with docs at UMiami to reach this point? 

I have been three times so far - each visit 2 hrs or less. I may have to do more before my next restoration surgery 

last visit to AuD remapped with huge improvement- I return next week for follow up 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

The huge improvement you noticed from your last MAPping, do you know what changes your audiologist made to your MAPs that helped you so much?  Was this the first time that audiologist created a MAP for you?

• HearPeers Heroes

First surgery 2016  was on right side   Working great especially with new maps that increased loudness/volume 

1 year later second surgey on left ear failed to get more than 6 of 12 electrodes in the cochlea so a another surgey was attempted to repair it  this time only 5 of 12 were implanted  so I switched Drs and am now at UMiami to correct this  Dr. Eshraghi has done more reconstruction surgeries and I am confident he will resolve this for me. MedEl is developing a special electrode array implant for this case. We believe there is some form of obstruction that needs to be passed . I will know more soon.  December 1 I will call to see if the new implant is ready and a surgery date can be set .

• HearPeers Heroes

@JdashiellSorry to hear about the issues experienced with installing the second implant. I hope you're successful the third time around. Med-El appears to be very customer friendly.

Glad that the first CI is working well!  I hope I will be as fortunate. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Is this your first CI? If so, I highly recommend getting an MRI done. My new CI surgeon said if I had come there first he would have had an mri done and I would not have this problem 

be aware though that some people cannot have and mri due to previous surgeries that implanted metal devices 

food for thought

best of luck to you

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell very interesting. Did Dr. Eshragi say what he could you seen on the MRI ? Possibly an obstruction?

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with @Jdashiell.  The pre-operative MRI images alerted my surgeons to the condition of my cochleas and they went into my surgeries aware of some difficulties my cochleas may present.

I thought everyone had pre-operative scans.  Some doctors use CT scans and others use MRI images.

@Ivana Marinac- What are the different things that would show up with each type of image?  Is one more readily used for pre-operative images during CI evals?

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Jdashiell said:

Is this your first CI? If so, I highly recommend getting an MRI done. My new CI surgeon said if I had come there first he would have had an mri done and I would not have this problem 

be aware though that some people cannot have and mri due to previous surgeries that implanted metal devices 

food for thought

best of luck to you

Yes this is my first CI @Jdashiell.

I hope the hospital can give me an estimate of the cost of the tests so I can be sure I can afford it. 

It's like I'm taking a leap of faith to restore my hearing. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

It is a leap of faith for all of us but it is so much more complicated for you since you need to leave your country and your insurance will not cover the costs.  I wish it was easier for you.

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, hadron said:

@Jdashiell very interesting. Did Dr. Eshragi say what he could you seen on the MRI ? Possibly an obstruction?

No I only had CT scans prior to all my surgeries. 

Then I moved to UMiami and am now seein Dr. Eshraghi. He said if I had come there first I would have had an MRI done prior to surgery and would halve alleviated this problem in the first place 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
50 minutes ago, Jewel said:

Yes this is my first CI @Jdashiell.

I hope the hospital can give me an estimate of the cost of the tests so I can be sure I can afford it. 

It's like I'm taking a leap of faith to restore my hearing. 

I believe any CI surgery is taking a leap of faith 

but in my case restoring my hearing is paramount. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Since you experienced great results with your first CI, you were aware that something was amiss quickly when things did go well with your second CI.  It’s good that you have a reference point.