Need information

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

I know what you mean @Jdashiell. It's a case of don't know what you've got till it's gone. Half of my life I had no hearing loss and the other half my hearing just kept going gradually. What to do... 

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jdashiell

Since you experienced great results with your first CI, you were aware that something was amiss quickly when things did go well with your second CI.  It’s good that you have a reference point.

Yes, a few months after my first I heard what I can best describe as a “click “ and I heard So much better than ever. After that moment I wanted the same for my left ear. I am not giving up until I get that level of hearing 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
26 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jdashiell

Which processors are you choosing this time?  Are they a two processor center?

Since I was activated and received a Sonnet/Rondo kit. I am keeping that. So the previous hospital was a 2 processor center and the UMiami center is as well. 

• HearPeers Heroes

In the US, some CI centers are one processor centers and others are two processor centers.  At one processor centers, newly implanted users receive one processor.  At two processor centers, newly implanted users receive two processors for the same side.

Right now the choices in the US at two processor centers seem to be:

2 Sonnets

2 Rondos 

or 1 Sonnet and 1 Rondo

The whole two processor thing only applies to new surgeries.  When people upgrade to new processors, that is always just one processor per side.

Also, sometimes Med El has promotions.  There haven’t been any promotions in the US recently that I am aware of.  I believe the last US promo from Med El was the Plus Rondo promo in 2015.

• HearPeers Heroes
11 minutes ago, Jewel said:

@Jdashiell@Mary Beth

What is a two processor center? 

3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

In the US, some CI centers are one processor centers and others are two processor centers.  At one processor centers, newly implanted users receive one processor.  At two processor centers, newly implanted users receive two processors for the same side.

Right now the choices in the US at two processor centers seem to be:

2 Sonnets

2 Rondos 

or 1 Sonnet and 1 Rondo

The whole two processor thing only applies to new surgeries.  When people upgrade to new processors, that is always just one processor per side.

Also, sometimes Med El has promotions.  There haven’t been any promotions in the US recently that I am aware of.  I believe the last US promo from Med El was the Plus Rondo promo in 2015.

Well I was able to get the Sonnet/Rondo combination for both sides

On 11/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, Jewel said:

Hi @leighf. I don't see any message in my inbox. Please resend. 

Hi Jewel, I resent a private message to you with contact information for the Bahamas and the US. Please let me know if you received it or not!

Thanks,

Leigh

• HearPeers Heroes
23 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Rondo 2 is not available in the US yet.

I sure hope the FDA approves it soon.. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Many of us are eager for Rondo 2 news in the US.  Unfortunately, there is no way to know how long it will take nor when Med El will release it here after FDA approval.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So I was just advised that although I had requested appointments with Drs Martinez and Eshragi, they have scheduled me for Eshragi and Dr Dana Libman. I looked at her profile but I don't see where she's a CI audiologist. Is it OK to meet with a regular audi and then the CI surgeon? I don't want to be told when I'm up there that I also have to see a CI audi in addition to a regular audi when I go up. Am I worrying for nothing? 

• HearPeers Heroes

It is definitely worth contacting them directly to ask that question.  You are traveling far.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So my CI surgeon looked at my CT scan yesterday. He said either side can be implanted. He recommended doing my worst ear, which I was surprised at since I haven't heard well from that ear for over 15 years! 

I was given the option of the Synchrony and Concert. I think the Synchrony is the latest one so I am going to choose that. 

Initially I was thinking of getting one Rondo and one Sonnet but now I'm thinking I should just get two Sonnets and then later when the Rondo 2 is out I can purchase that separately. Thoughts anyone?

Looks like all that needs to be done is to schedule the surgery!

Oh BTW what vaccine did you need to get beforehand?

• HearPeers Heroes

You are well on your way!  Super!  Do you have an approximate time frame for when you hope to have your surgery?

Whatever you decide for processors will be perfect.  Having a back up processor is very helpful.

Did you find out about the warranty?

My CI surgeon gave me a paper showing which two vaccines I needed and the timing on getting them.  I think you can find it also by searching for CDC (Center for Disease Control) and cochlear implant.  

Exciting times ahead for you!

• HearPeers Heroes

I am thinking I will do the surgery sometime between April and June. The CI center is supposed to contact me about scheduling the surgery but those are my preferred months. 

I mentioned the warranty issue to my CI surgeon and he said he would personally see to it that I get the usual warranty. So I am waiting to hear about how that turns out. 

@Mary Bethhow long did it take for your second implanted ear to make out speech? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Btw @JdashiellDr Eshragi said he will be putting in the electrode himself so that gives me  a level of comfort. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

My first implanted ear (right side) that had not processed any sound for 24 years, started to understand some speech hours after activation and advanced quickly from there.

My second implanted ear (left side) had been amplified right up until close to surgery.  It actually started off slower than the right side for some reason but when it caught on it quickly caught up to the first side.

They balanced at around 4-5 months post second side activation.

Totally different journeys but same awesome result.  

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/28/2018 at 0:08 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Jewel

My first implanted ear (right side) that had not processed any sound for 24 years, started to understand some speech hours after activation and advanced quickly from there.

My second implanted ear (left side) had been amplified right up until close to surgery.  It actually started off slower than the right side for some reason but when it caught on it quickly caught up to the first side.

They balanced at around 4-5 months post second side activation.

Totally different journeys but same awesome result.  

24 YEARS??!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup my right ear had been completely deaf, post a surgery for Ménière’s disease, and had not processed any sound for 24 years prior to being implanted.  I used to call it my dead ear.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

So my coworker brought her 3 year old son to work yesterday. He was talking to me and of course I couldn't hear what he was saying, which makes me wonder are you able to hear babies cry or make out what little kids say when you have a CI?