Need information

Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

For me crying is one sound that I don’t like. My nephew has this schrill cry that makes you cringe! Lol the little ones take a little more patience and practice to hear. But yes you can hear it! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes,  now it is not a problem. I could do it even with just one CI after some training. But with two bionic ears  it is easy. But sometimes, kids are too high pitch noisy :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ha, you are true about gibberish, Kara. In that case our CIs are useless helpless but not to blame for :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes! And it is so amazing!  I even heard my nephew hiccup at one month old.

• HearPeers Heroes

I just read in an article that it usually takes 6-12 months after activation before a person hears "normally." How long did it take you? 

• HearPeers Heroes

That really varies a lot from person to person.  It’s a standard answer that it will take one year post activation.  However, that answer seems misleading in several ways.

First, there is so much improvement in hearing during the early months for most people.  Those first few months are mind blowing.  Especially if the user does aural rehab to help the brain master the new sounds.

Second, improvements continue well past the one year point.  In fact a study researched this and followed people for either 5 or 8 years post activation,  I don’t recall which.  The researchers found that improvements were noted all along the study timeframe and in fact never ceased during the length of the study.

If we posted questions to our group here, like

-when could you use a phone easily?

-when did music instrumentals sound good?

-when did you understand music lyrics?

-when could you understand the car radio?

-when could you follow a group conversation?

etc...... everyone’s responses would vary greatly.  

Its a very unique, individual journey.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

TOtally. THe phone took the longest but at about six months I could use the phone with ease. That’s when I started to hear the radio as well. By then music was awesome. So about the six month mark for me. I still have improvements to this day. At two years three months post activation. I am hearing things outside that are far away now. Just happened to notice it last week! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

So I'm being told to take the vaccines in an order different from what I see recommended online. Does anyone remember the order in which they took the vaccines before surgery? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth. I saw that link and so I was surprised when I was told that I should take the vaccines in an order different from what the CDC recommends. So that's why I'm enquiring whether anyone else was told the same thing. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I read about someone who took the wrong vaccine first and his CI center postponed his surgery because when taken in that sequence they must be spread out much further in time.  Maybe double check with your CI surgeon about the sequence and timing?

• HearPeers Heroes

Another question..... The Free Rondo promotion.... Was that done shortly after Rondo was launched in the US? Or was it a long time after? I am hoping I will benefit from a similar promotion for Rondo 2. Fingers crossed ?. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe the Rondo was released in the US in 2013 and I fell into a plus Rondo promo in late 2015.

There is no way to figure out the timing of the promos as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Soooooo I am trying to figure out what I need to buy in order to do aural rehab when I get activated. Would I have to use a neckloop like the Artone or can I just use the Roger pen or is there something else in the kit for that? I wonder if an Artone 4 is coming out soon. 

Also, I have looked in Google Play and I don't see any apps for aural rehab. So I plan to buy an ipad. I read that the ipad Pro has more speakers than the other ipad. Will having more speakers be more beneficial to me? Forgive my ignorance. Just trying to determine my budget.  

• HearPeers Heroes

The speakers are not important on the iPad model because you will be listening via the Roger Pen plugged into the headphone jack and the Roger 21 receiver battery cover on your Sonnet.  I have a regular iPad but you could use an iPad mini.

Look under our aural rehab topic for apps and websites.  There are so many free rehab possibilities that you do not need to purchase a paid aural rehab subscription.  I shared my favorites and @Cara Mia shared her favorites too.  Lots and lots and lots of free options.

You do not need a BT neckloop if you plan on sitting in a quiet spot while doing your training.  The Roger Pen/Roger 21 will mix audio 50/50 between sound source and environment so a quiet location would be helpful.  If you plan on doing aural rehab in a location which is not quiet (like your living room while others may be watching TV, etc), then the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop would be helpful and you can switch your Sonnet to T.  That will block out all other sound and give you 100/0 mix (all sound source, no environment).

It’s getting closer!  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth. That is good news.  I am still waiting for my surgery date. They told me they recommend I stay in the US while doing my first 3/4 mappings, so I will be holed up in a hotel room for three weeks at least! Sigh...... At least I will be able to fully concentrate on aural rehab for the first few weeks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

If I lived near Miami, I would meet up with you.  Smile.  Hopefully you can enjoy some sights while there.  In betweeen your aural rehab sessions!  At least InnoCaption will be available to you during your stay.  This is becoming quite the adventure for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I haven't gotten the surgery package so I don't know the specific timeline yet. All I have been told is that usually activation is 4 weeks after surgery. 

• HearPeers Heroes

So now it looks like my surgery will be in August! I'm thinking the Rondo 2 should be out by then. So now I'm wondering whether instead of ordering two Sonnets I should just go with one sonnet and a Rondo 2. Any thoughts?

My left ear is almost as bad as my right ear. I'm implanting the right ear. I don't think I will be able to afford implanting my left ear as well. 

That in mind, given that the Rondo 2 only has one mic am I better off with Sonnets? I have read about people doing upgrades but don't you have to pay for the new device or trade in one you already have and pay the difference? It certainly would be easy if they allowed me to try out a Rondo2 for a week and see if I like it. That's what my audi would do before I bought new HAs. But maybe they don't do that in the US. 

Looking for any advice that can help me make the best decision. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

August will be here before we know it.  When do you have to make a decision on processors?  In the US, it is not possible to select a Rondo 2 at this time because it has not completed the FDA process of approval.  After that, it typically takes Med-El some time before it releases the items here.  

I have processors with one mic (Rondos and Opus 2) and processors with two mics (Sonnets).  Everyone’s experience differs but for me, I hear fine with one omni directional mic and the ASM 1 software.  With my Sonnets I only opt for dual mics sometimes in very noisy places.  Other than that I prefer full access to sounds in omni even in my Sonnets (so that is also one mic).

I personally would not let the dual mics determine your processor choice.  The integrated Roger 21 receiver available for the Sonnet offers a nicer looking option for Roger input than the Rondo 2 will offer.  That is something to consider as well.

But again, everyone’s experience differs.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

The audi had asked me which processors I wanted from January. I will have to enquire about the latest date for making a decision. 

The Med-El rep offered to review my order so I'm going to contact her and see. Apparently there are options with the kit based on what the Med-El rep said but the audi made it sound like other than the processors I don't have a choice in the matter. 

• HearPeers Heroes

From what I have heard in the US, Sonnet kit options include things like...

color of different pieces

battery option 

connectivity option

cable length option

locking or unlocking DL-coil covers

Have fun choosing your kit.