Need information

Jewel

On 3/16/2018 at 9:48 PM, Jewel said:

Oops sorry about that. @MED-EL Moderatorwhen I try to send a new post it is showing a previous post and will not allow me to delete! We need a delete button and an undo button! 

Hi Jewel, thanks for the tag. We are doing some system upgrades this week and will keep you all updated. We hope this will help resolve the issues some people are experiencing. Cheers - Leigh

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator Hi, I'm still having the problem where if I go to the "Reply to this topic" window to enter a comment, it shows me my previous comment and if I tagged someone in that previous comment I can delete everything except for the tag. What of I don't want to tag anyone in the new comment? I'm not sure whether others are having this problem. Signing out and signing back in doesn't help. Can you please address? 

Hi @Jewel

Thanks for letting us know about this and sorry that it has been causing you difficulties. I am looking into why this is happening for some users and not for others, and how to fix this. Which browser are you using? It might be worth trying another one (like Firefox or Chrome) to see if you still have problems. You could also try clearing your cache (see the instructions here). Cheers, Mary 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Hi Mary, I'm using the Samsung Internet browser which is the browser on my phone. Will try your suggestions and see if there is improvement. Thanks. 

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So it's getting closer to my preop appointment. I know I'm gonna ask what electrodes the surgeon will have in the operating room and which one he plans to insert. 

What other questions should I ask? 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jewel - I realized after my surgery that I really didn't ask much at all.  Had to learn about the electrodes in my post-surgery appointment, and didn't really even know what the surgical protocol was like till I googled it afterwards either.  I put a lot of trust in the medical team!  To my mind, though, most of the questions would come after.  How did it go, did the electrodes get implanted well, and so forth.  When are you going to Miami?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jewel - I realized after my surgery that I really didn't ask much at all.  Had to learn about the electrodes in my post-surgery appointment, and didn't really even know what the surgical protocol was like till I googled it afterwards either.  I put a lot of trust in the medical team!  To my mind, though, most of the questions would come after.  How did it go, did the electrodes get implanted well, and so forth.  When are you going to Miami?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Featherston

Thanks. I leave for the US next Tuesday. Apparently my surgeon won't be in office the week after my surgery so a different surgeon will be doing my postop appointment. I hope he will be able to answer those questions at that time. 

I'm afraid of getting nausea so I think I will ask them to put something for the nausea in the anaesthesia. If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't know about that. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I had my post-op check with a different surgeon too, it was fine.  He was able to tell me what electrode I had and checked my healing and approved me for activation.  It was just a matter of whose schedule was open the day I needed to be seen.

Definitely ask for anti-nausea meds.  I was so glad I did, it was the first time I've had a general anesthetic without being nauseated in post-op.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I had my post-op check with a different surgeon too, it was fine.  He was able to tell me what electrode I had and checked my healing and approved me for activation.  It was just a matter of whose schedule was open the day I needed to be seen.

Definitely ask for anti-nausea meds.  I was so glad I did, it was the first time I've had a general anesthetic without being nauseated in post-op.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

some suggestions....

-how will the internal implant be anchored

-will an x-ray be taken after insertion to see how the electrode is positioned

-what restrictions will you have and for how long

-which electrode array is being used

-will he give info on electrode used and how the surgery went to a family member or write it down for you so you can recall what he tells you in post op later on

I met with the anesthesia team on surgery day and we discussed anti nausea meds in the anesthesia.  They did a terrific job!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Bethand @Mary Featherston. You have put my mind at ease ?.

@MED-EL Moderatorcan we have something to bookmark specific posts for easy reference? I think it would be useful. 

• Like 2

@Jewel How are you doing? Im also glad I mentioned my concerns about nausea. Im a week post op but I had no nausea waking up from surgery which was great. I've only had a couple of days od dizziness and nausea mainly due to vertigo from the 2 hour car ride home from the hospital and now again after returning home from my followup. Those are some great questions @Mary Beth suggested. I have no clue how they anchored  my internal processor. Im going to ask that on my next visit. Speedy recovery Jewel. Keep us posted :)

@Jewel How are you doing? Im also glad I mentioned my concerns about nausea. Im a week post op but I had no nausea waking up from surgery which was great. I've only had a couple of days od dizziness and nausea mainly due to vertigo from the 2 hour car ride home from the hospital and now again after returning home from my followup. Those are some great questions @Mary Beth suggested. I have no clue how they anchored  my internal processor. Im going to ask that on my next visit. Speedy recovery Jewel. Keep us posted :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02

Hi. I hope your vertigo clears up soon. When is your activation date? 

I hope if I get vertigo that it clears up before I fly back home. I will soon find out. Please keep us in the loop about your recovery and journey. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

So the CI center has ordered my kit. They sent me the warranty yesterday. I was shocked to find out that my kit will not be under warranty as I am not American. The CI itself is under 10 year warranty though. 

This is really unexpected as both the CI audi and Med-El rep assured me that they checked and confirmed that I would be getting the US warranty. 

There is no CI Centre in Jamaica so there is no warranty for Jamaica which is ridiculous. I am going abroad in a few days and this is just shocking. I don't know if this is a sign that I should go with a different brand. Med-El has really let me down. I feel so despondent; so much money spent already. Story of my life.... 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I am so sorry to read this.  Have you reached out to your CI surgeon and CI audiologist to see if they can help?  Is your CI processor kit covered under any kind of warranty?

Are the items in your kit what you expected, including the Rondo 2 voucher?

Large CI centers have experience with clients flying in from other countries and self paying to have surgery.  Although this may not be a common event, it definitely happens quite a bit.

Have you reached out to whichever Med-El rep assured you that you would receive the US warranty?

How disappointing that after working so hard to get information ahead of time, you are faced with a last minute change.  I am so sorry.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Beth,

I emailed the CI audi and the MedEl rep this morning about the problem. Only the audi responded. She said that she had pressed Med-El about the warranty after my email and they informed her that the warranty policy changed in 2016 and they are not budging. 

When I told her that the Med El rep had emailed me about the warranty from January she requested a copy and later said she forwarded it to Medel. This audi will be out of office until Thursday but she said she will monitor her emails. 

The kit will not have any warranty. 

They haven't told me what the kit will contain or whether I will benefit from the PLUSRONDO promotion. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I am glad that your CI audiologist is involved in helping to sort this out.  I can’t imagine what you must be feeling.

I am so sorry this is happening.

please keep us updated.  Are you scheduled to fly to the US on Tuesday?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I am glad that your CI audiologist is involved in helping to sort this out.  I can’t imagine what you must be feeling.

I am so sorry this is happening.

please keep us updated.  Are you scheduled to fly to the US on Tuesday?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Yes Tuesday. 

I can't even tell my family about the problem as my mother doesn't really want me to have the surgery. If I told her she would just tell me to scrap the CI altogether. I'm between a rock and a hard place. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Maybe you can reach out to Med-El Innsbruck to see if they have a Global warranty that would apply to your activation kit?

HPs is going off line soon so maybe reach out on Med-El’s official FB page under visitor posts?  Or ask your CI audiologist if she knows anything about a possible global warranty?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I wonder if it's worth asking why you aren't getting the warranty?  If you are paying American prices and going to an American clinic what's the basis for this?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel I wonder if it's worth asking why you aren't getting the warranty?  If you are paying American prices and going to an American clinic what's the basis for this?