deafness is NOT the be all end all

Justanotherjess

Hi there, my name is Jess I was born with severe hearing loss and I recieved my left implant before the age of 2. I recieved my second implant at the age of 11 and can remeber the process so I am happy to answer any questions. 

I am now 19 with 2 nucleus 6 implants and I am living away from home at University training to be a nurse. I have never signed, my parents tried to teach me but I chose to speak and live in the hearing world. I did my level 1 BSL 1 year ago but I have forgotten it already as it is never used.

I have 100% hearing loss and never imagined Id be able to be a nurse but I am proving all of my doubters wrong, if  I can do it any one can do it!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Awesome Jess.  Good luck in nursing!  Sounds like you will be a fabulous nurse!

• HearPeers Heroes

Go get them! There is no limit to what you can do when you put your mind to it! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kara of Canada said:

Go get them! There is no limit to what you can do when you put your mind to it! 

Wish more people knew this deafness is such a negative label in the hearing world

• HearPeers Heroes

Much agreed!! Or it is looked at as the “fake” disability. Poeple ignore the fact your “deaf”. 

Hi Jess & welcome to our website. I'm quite new to having an implant - still learning. I've worn HA over 30 years, and at this time I'm viewing my (single) implant as a hedge against deafness.

Having had several hospital visits recently, I've experienced negative understanding about hearing loss. You can be a great influence as you begin your career: by influence I mean spreading your understanding about how to deal with us folks. The numbers of people experiencing war, along with those suffering from various forms of dementia need the understanding that you already have.

Here's to your successful entry into your medical career.

Edited by Al West
to show I have only one implant

3 minutes ago, Al West said:

Hi Jess & welcome to our website. I'm quite new to having an implant - still learning. I've worn HA over 30 years, and at this time I'm viewing my implant as a hedge against deafness.

Having had several hospital visits recently, I've experienced negative understanding about hearing loss. You can be a great influence as you begin your career: by influence I mean spreading your understanding about how to deal with us folks. The numbers of people experiencing war, along with those suffering from various forms of dementia need the understanding that you already have.

Here's to your successful entry into your medical career.

Thank you Al I have experienced that negative understanding all the way through my school life and even now I failed my first occupational health assessment to get into my nursing degree, it's a nightmare to get my accommodation adaptations and I just got rejected from working as a HCA part time which I believe is because of my deafness but in still going strong and in 2 years time I will be qualified and proving all of the boubters wrong and hopefully inspiring more people with deafness to challenge society's expectations