Help concerning problems with hearing with implant

KathyD

My name is Kathleen and I received my first implant in 2014 and my second implant in 2015.  After having the implants my hearing was awesome.  I love every moment.  But in the past few months or so I have been experiencing a raspy sound to voices of those who talk to me, including my own voice.  When I first joined HearPeers I read input from someone who also had the implants who said that he had some problems with quality of hearing and had asked his audiologist if it were possible to cut off some of the electrodes that were on the coil.  He stated that when the audiologist had cut off some of the electrodes his quality of hearing improved.  I don't remember the name of the person who had this done, but would love to hear from anyone else who has had electrodes turned off and ask if they had them turned off because of raspy sounds to voices. I would appreciate any input I can get.  I'm getting a little desparate now.  The raspy if driving me crazy.  Thank you for any help.

• HearPeers Heroes

Are you using Sonnets?  Have you changed your mic cover?

• HearPeers Heroes

@KathyD

I posted about participating in the image guided research study at Vanderbilt which turned off selected electrodes based on the CT image and their software.  They assess whether electrodes are stimulating the same area (overlapping stimulation) and then recommend turning off targeted electrodes to avoid that overlap.  I am happy I participated and know several others who are happy they participated as well.  

Thank you, Mary Beth.  I recently visited the surgeon who preformed my surgery and told her about what I had read on the post I mentioned, and she is going to suggest to my audiologist to turn off some of the electrodes.  I am hoping and praying that if they do it will help eliminate the raspy sounds.  Have a great day.

Hi Kathy D, thanks for reaching out to the HearPeers Community. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing. It's good to read that you are communicating with your audiologist and surgeon, and I recommend staying in close contact with them throughout this time. Your local MED-EL Representative can also offer further support - let me know if you'd like their contact details and I will send them through. Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions at any point! Wishing you all the best and I hope this is resolved for you soon.

Kind regards,

Leigh 

HearPeers Support Team