Confusion on choosing processor

Rashmi

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Dare_V, welcome to the forum. I wish you good luck in finding the best options for your son and you. Reading your other post made me think that you did a lot of researches about the possible options for your son. I just had a thought that it will be the several years until your son is able to handle his processors by himself completely. By that time it should  be another modifications for MED EL processors available for upgrade. So, if I'd were in your shoes, personally, I would probably lean to the option that allows to keep the processor more secure and functional rather than worrying if my kid can handle / maintain it independently. But, of course, I don't know about your situation with upgrades available in Slovenia. Just wish it is the same or even better than here in the US.

Good luck again and best wishes!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @dare_v

Whichever processor you choose, will bring great sound to your child.  Wishing him the best!

Rondos are absolutely terrific in waterwear in the ocean or pool.  So comfortable that I do not even realize the waterwear cover is on.  Sounds awesome in waterwear.  I secure them.  They sink like bricks.

Sonnets are more comfortable with hats and helmets.  You are correct.

Keep us posted.

You are right, I've done many researching already. Cara Mia, when I said about child being able to handle processor on his own I meant he could put it on. With Rondo 2 it seems its more or less just getting into right position and pressing that single button once. With sonnet there is a little bit more work to do: secure the BTE, coil, turn it on...also with Rondo 2 the 18 hours battery should be enough for such a young child

Does it matter, with Rondo 2, how it is oriented, eg one side always up?

I know both processors will do pretty similar in terms of sound quality, but I want to decide beyond that. I also know there are many wear options, like bands, clips, etc, and that a child should have its Rondo secured. Also I think I've read Rondo 2 will be IP54 that makes it resistant to minor impacts without the bumper cover?

Are there any helmets that are somehow Rondo compatible? The bike riding helmets? For hats I know we can have some custom made, how about swimming hats?

Mary Beth, in terms of Rondo fixation, if you shake your head really fast, the head, will it fall off? Do you have Ear Gear or sports headband from medel?

In Slovenia every 5 years new processor is covered by the insurance.

• HearPeers Heroes

My Rondo does not fall off unless I knock it off.  But other people may have different experiences.

Rondo in waterwear then in ear gear cover with tether and clip all under a nammucap in the ocean.

• HearPeers Heroes

I do not know the recommended orientation of the Rondo 2.  Maybe @MED-EL Moderator can help us with that.

Rondo is recommended to be worn with the mic at 12:00.  That seems to be related to the strongest telecoil reception at 6:00.

Is there a rule on SYNCHRONY implant position in very young children? I've seen people wearing Rondo's almost right behind the ear and some almost above the ear? this makes a huge difference in wering hats, helmets, etc.

• HearPeers Heroes

We, as users, have no choice in the position of our implant post surgery as it must line up with the internal magnet.  It’s a great conversation to have with the surgeon prior to surgery.  Our anatomy impacts position as well.

Sorry Mary, that is what I mean. In which positon do surgeons implant the inner implant unit. Is that debatable or is some special position advised?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to her reply.

In the meantine. We've been to the "speech therapist" and she found out our boy have a lot better hearing that BERA test showed. BERA showed zero up to 100dB on both ears. But therapist noticed response at higher freq at 80dB and lower freq 50dB. I know her results are subjective and BERA is objective, but still we have a bad feeling about this.

Lets assume our guy have some partial hearing. And lets assume implating of electrodes is perfect. Will his hearing be preserved the way it is, or is the implant and BTE taking over the natural hearing and there is no way back?

• HearPeers Heroes

@dare_v

I believe strongly in parental “feelings” about their young children so encourage you to speak with doctors and see if another test can be scheduled.

The issue regarding preserving residual hearing seems centered on two things.  First, damage to residual hearing from the actual insertion of the electrode array during surgery.  To my knowledge, that is permanent.  Second, decline in residual hearing at a later date.  Research studies have reported so many different results on this topic.  Search online and you will see lots of studies on this.

Wishing the best for your son.

• Like 2

Yes, we will scheduele another test, but we already came negative twice. Still we have a strong feeling about our boy to hear something. Like clapping hands, loud sneezing, etc. Thou the doctor at the last test said, that there are loud noises, speaking is not loud.

Is there any other test, beside BERA, that can be done to test the heating in very young children?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s important that young children have auditory access to speech sounds if the goal is to develop listening and speaking skills.  I had some low frequency hearing in my left ear, prior to it being implanted.  That level of hearing though did not make speech accessible to me even with the most powerful hearing aid.  We could make low frequency sounds loud enough for me to hear them, but speech was a distorted mess.  My inner ear was unable to process complete auditory info even when it was loud enough for bass sounds to be heard.  I guess you can picture it as a piano keyboard missing lots and lots of important keys.  No amount of banging on that piano is going to produce musical tones.

I do not know the answer to your question about the variety of medical tests that can be used on young children to test their hearing abilities.

I can tell you though, as a person who heard with perfect hearing for the first 13 years...then started losing my hearing....eventually getting hearing aids....then becoming deaf in one ear and hearing with a hearing aid in the other ear....and eventually not being able to function even with the most advanced hearing aid.....that getting cochlear implants has restored so much hearing to my life.  I am hearing better than I have in many many decades.  This technology is amazing!

Your son is fortunate to have such a devoted parent.  

• Like 2

Another thing that popped into my head today.

We are trying to build a nice environment for our son. Therefore we are most likely to move into a new house with position close to his kindergarden, school, lost of young families, nature, plenty of sun, etc. I think we found a nice spot that will provide all this.

But there is highway nearby, not really a high frequency place and almost no trucks are driven. The noise within the house will be zero as it will be a modern house with good insulation. But I'm thinking..what about outside? There are sound barriers that suppose to block the sound, but still...it makes me think.

Is there a way to know this ahead? Can I perhaps measure the decibels on a location and see if its too loud? CI users, do you have a hard time in similar locations?

• HearPeers Heroes

Our world has many different listening environments.  It is important to expose children with CIs to lots of different listening environments so they develop the necessary listening skills.

Many children with CIs live in major cities full of city life noise and do just fine.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 16/01/2018 at 2:03 PM, dare_v said:

Sorry Mary, that is what I mean. In which positon do surgeons implant the inner implant unit. Is that debatable or is some special position advised?

Yes, Dare - it is debatable up to the certain point. 

Wishing that your son can wear easily helmet - is reasonable, as the placement of the internal unit should not be at the particular place as it should be at bone-conduction implants.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 28/01/2018 at 3:51 PM, dare_v said:

Yes, we will scheduele another test, but we already came negative twice. Still we have a strong feeling about our boy to hear something. Like clapping hands, loud sneezing, etc. Thou the doctor at the last test said, that there are loud noises, speaking is not loud.

Is there any other test, beside BERA, that can be done to test the heating in very young children?

I can not comment the work of the speech therapist but, once more - yes! is the answer: there is another test after BERA, it·s name is ASSR.

Please read this link:

http://www.hearingreview.com/2007/11/auditory-steady-state-response-assr-a-beginners-guide/

Where was it planned the implantation of your child? My presumption leans toward Maribor?

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Our world has many different listening environments.  It is important to expose children with CIs to lots of different listening environments so they develop the necessary listening skills.

Many children with CIs live in major cities full of city life noise and do just fine.

I support Mary Beth·s opinion - the best possible conditions for a young child as it is your Dare, are bilateral implantation and expositions to the full specter of sound, no matter of the frequency band. In this way, the child will develop the full potential for hearing and understanding. Do not think in a way how you will make easier the environment around him because once the conditions will change and the adaptation will be a lot heavier.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ivana Marinac said:

I can not comment the work of the speech therapist but, once more - yes! is the answer: there is another test after BERA, it·s name is ASSR.

Please read this link:

http://www.hearingreview.com/2007/11/auditory-steady-state-response-assr-a-beginners-guide/

Where was it planned the implantation of your child? My presumption leans toward Maribor?

Yes, Maribor, do you have any comment on that, positive or negative?

• HearPeers Heroes
7 hours ago, dare_v said:

Yes, Maribor, do you have any comment on that, positive or negative?

Not at all.

As I know colleagues from both centers, I just needed to locate where you plan to go for the implantation.

Prof. Rebol or ...?

Maribor like to implant Med-ELs implants.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Ivana Marinac my surgeon said the exact same thing since he had a student with him during my exam. That children need to be bilateral. He said also about my last surgery this time he’ll be more cautious and make a smaller hole to avoid the brain thing! Also there are no anatomical anomalies on the left side so he is comfortable to go ahead. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara, that is a big relieve to know that the second surgery should be much more smooth for you. Glad for you! March is just around the corner!

• HearPeers Heroes
On 02/02/2018 at 4:08 PM, dare_v said:

Yes, doc. Rebol. We are planned for April if possible

He is the very experienced surgeon - I had the opportunity to hear some of his lectures.