Confusion on choosing processor

Rashmi

• HearPeers Heroes
On 03/02/2018 at 5:14 PM, Kara of Canada said:

Hi @Ivana Marinac my surgeon said the exact same thing since he had a student with him during my exam. That children need to be bilateral. He said also about my last surgery this time he’ll be more cautious and make a smaller hole to avoid the brain thing! Also there are no anatomical anomalies on the left side so he is comfortable to go ahead. 

We have passed a long road to come up to this level of knowledge but all newest research tells the same conclusion. The earliest possible with less as possible help from a side. 

6 hours ago, Ivana Marinac said:

The earliest possible with less as possible help from a side. 

What do you mean "with less as possible help from a side"?

So, purely hypothetical, lets assume someone gets implanted who have somekinda hearing left.

How does it work then, is the "ear" mechanism fully instact after implating so it still works and its the implant that takes over the signaling part as it is prolly stronger? Will such person still be able to hear with the BTE unit off?

• HearPeers Heroes

If you search for residual hearing post cochlear implantation online, you will find a lot of studies about this.

Some people retain their low frequency hearing post implantation, and yes those people do hear those low frequency sounds when their CIs are off.

Some people retain some of their low frequency hearing.....

Some people start off retaining their low frequency hearing but over time lose it.

Some people lose all of their low frequency hearing and do not hear when their implants are off.

Many things impact this.  In my opinion, surgeon skill in preserving residual hearing is a main factor.

• HearPeers Heroes

It also depends if you had any to start with! I still have mine but it’s so minimal that I hear nothing when the processor is off except water on my head.