Has anyone qualified for EAS but didn't go for it?

stream2525

• HearPeers Heroes

Has anyone qualified for EAS but didn't go for it?

Will I regret not choosing EAS ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I use the regular CI for 6 months after activation before I got the EAS modification. I did pretty well with just CI and went with EAS only to try all possible opportunity to see if I gain something in addition to the great result I already had. I noticed only one big improvement with EAS - the clearer sound in very noisy environment. Even I managed the notice well with just CI, the difference was absolutely noticeable for me. 

Do you know, that with EAS CI you still have an option to use your processor as a "regular" CI? The acoustic component can be detached easily and you can have a program with the full coverage for electric stimulation only?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't understand how you got regular CI and EAS at the same time. This doesn't make any sense because EAS require short electorde Flex20 of Flex24. If you already got Flex20 of Flexsoft then you didn't get EAS unless the Medel electrodes don't hard the hearing cells in cochlea and the audio shut off those in the lows area. 

If I get a short electrode then I won't be able to stimulate the low frequencies areas. This is how I understand it. Am I wrong? 

• HearPeers Heroes

My my left ear activation included an EAS system which my Aud, and a MedEl Aud in attendance, tried but did not work out, Likely due to electrode array flipping around from an obstruction

Since the EAS filed, that with to CI only...that is a whole 'nother story - see previous posts 

Stream2525, I qualified for EAS and they implanted the flex soft which is longer than the flex24 and flex28. As Jdashiell, it was an attempt that failed so I also ended up with a regular CI. No big deal to me as stated in other posts...

• HearPeers Heroes

On 11/30/2017 at 1:39 AM, stream2525 said:

I don't understand how you got regular CI and EAS at the same time. This doesn't make any sense because EAS require short electorde Flex20 of Flex24. If you already got Flex20 of Flexsoft then you didn't get EAS unless the Medel electrodes don't hard the hearing cells in cochlea and the audio shut off those in the lows area. 

If I get a short electrode then I won't be able to stimulate the low frequencies areas. This is how I understand it. Am I wrong? 

Dear @stream2525,

EAS not necessary requires the short electrodes.  The number of studies found, that there is no significant difference in degree of hearing preservation between implantation with Flex 24 electrode array and longer Flex 28. But in case of losing residual hearing, the longer array (Flex 28) can be more beneficial for your hearing performance due to complete cochlea coverage.

I was a candidate for EAS, but at the time of my surgery EAS was not available in the US. I was implanted with Flex 28 due to reasons I mentioned above. In 6 months after my surgery, when EAS was approved by FDA, MEdEL exchanged my regular CI processor for another one with an buit-in EAS unit. The internal implant is the same for both models.

You can find more detailed discussion of this subject at the topic” “Difference in Cochlear Implants”

http://forum.hearpeers.com/index.php?/topic/1803-differences-in-cochlear-implants/#comment-17563

• HearPeers Heroes

Everyone’s cochlea is a different length.  For some people an array of 28 is the longest array that will fit correctly.  For others a longer array is possible.  And yet for others, a shorter array is needed.  One reason why Med-El offers various lengths is due to each individual’s cochlea anatomy (of which length is one factor).

The electrode array options from Med-El is what determined my brand of CI.  I have a medium 24 in the Right and a flex 28 in the Left and they both are great.

In the past shorter arrays were considered for EAS.  Now there are CI surgeons who successfully implant longer arrays and still preserve residual hearing.  Of course there are also times when residual hearing is not preserved regardless of electrode array length.

Hopefully more and more people will have their residual hearing preserved.

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe FlexSoft 31 is a pretty new addition to MeDEL electrode family. Definitely, this is a great option in addition to the Standard 31 array that was available for a longer time. I cannot comment on FelxSoft 31 because I didn't read any researches how that electrode correlates with a hearing preservation.  Hickey, if you have this info and some stats about hearing performance with FS31 compare to F28, please, share it with us.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
17 hours ago, Hicksy said:

Stream2525, I qualified for EAS and they implanted the flex soft which is longer than the flex24 and flex28. As Jdashiell, it was an attempt that failed so I also ended up with a regular CI. No big deal to me as stated in other posts...

You started with Flexsoft from the beginning or changed to it later? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for that link @Mary BethI found it very informative. Btw I read your experience on the Med El blog. Your experience with CIs is amazing! I'm also happy I was able to match a face to time name ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I am glad it was helpful.

At @Cara Mia‘s encouragement I tried to add a picture to my profile.  But it will not let me do it.  I am not sure what the issue is exactly.  It lets me upload a picture for my profile background screen.

I feel incredibly lucky to have had such success with my CIs.  They have been life changing for me.  

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Here is a link to Med-El electrode arrays in case you haven’t seen it before.

http://s3.medel.com/pdf/21617.pdf

I read this.

Can someone who got an electrode that is found not suitable for his case have a minor surgery to change the electrode? 

Thanks Mary Beth for the link that clears up the Flexsoft.

I qualified for EAS and was implanted with the Flexsoft. The EAS failed. As Leighf I think pointed out in another thread about this, is that the decision to go with the longer electrode may have lessened the chances of a successful EAS activation but increased the overall effectiveness of the implant in general. So there is that to consider when choosing the best possible outcome. Why sacrifice some of the advantages of a longer electrode to go shorter in hopes of perhaps a better chance of keeping lousy and likely still failing residual hearing?

I must admit, once the major decision was made to go with Med El and an EAS attempt, I left the implant decision up to the professionals.?

And I would mention again that losing the residual hearing was not at all the “blow” that I expected pre-activation. Not at all.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

I also left the decisions about the appropriate electrode arrays up to my surgeons.  They explained the electrode arrays they were going to have available for each of my surgeries and then used the ones they determined to be best during the surgeries.  I am very happy with the results.

I also lost the little residual hearing I had on the left and that was perfectly fine with me.  I gained way more than I ever thought possible.  I did not have any residual hearing to even worry about on my right.

How long have you been activated now?

Actually today is the 1year anniversary date of my surgery so thanks for asking! Just realized... So 11 months activated...

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
23 hours ago, Hicksy said:

Thanks Mary Beth for the link that clears up the Flexsoft.

I qualified for EAS and was implanted with the Flexsoft. The EAS failed. As Leighf I think pointed out in another thread about this, is that the decision to go with the longer electrode may have lessened the chances of a successful EAS activation but increased the overall effectiveness of the implant in general. So there is that to consider when choosing the best possible outcome. Why sacrifice some of the advantages of a longer electrode to go shorter in hopes of perhaps a better chance of keeping lousy and likely still failing residual hearing?

I must admit, once the major decision was made to go with Med El and an EAS attempt, I left the implant decision up to the professionals.?

And I would mention again that losing the residual hearing was not at all the “blow” that I expected pre-activation. Not at all.

Did you lose your residual hearing ?

On 12/3/2017 at 2:23 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Jewel

At @Cara Mia‘s encouragement I tried to add a picture to my profile.  But it will not let me do it.  I am not sure what the issue is exactly.  It lets me upload a picture for my profile background screen.

I feel incredibly lucky to have had such success with my CIs.  They have been life changing for me.  

Hi Mary Beth, I've sent you a PM to help out with changing your profile picture. Cheers! Leigh 

On 12/3/2017 at 2:23 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Jewel

Hi Mary Beth, I've sent you a PM to help out with changing your profile picture. Cheers! Leigh 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...