From Surgery to Activation, What?

russboltz

• HearPeers Heroes

Russ, I paid for them and will be submitting my claim. Hopefully, it will get paid. Like Karen, I had a hard time with the high pitches as those were the sounds that were missing for so many years. As time goes on it does get better. I'm going for my third mapping at the end of July and am hoping my Audi will turn down some of the high pitches. The worst for me has been plastic bags. I just cringe. Take heart it is early days.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• russboltz

• Adam

• Matt

• Sandy

Top Posters In This Topic

• HearPeers Heroes

I actually had to turn down i think it was electrode #12 for a while because I could not handle that high pitch. Just remembered that reading these posts. She turned it back up once my thresholds got a little stronger.

Sandy: Is your claim a Medicare claim? Part B? Tell me how you do it; I have no idea how to do a reimbursement claim with Social Security, and I'm getting a lot of blank looks.

thanks! rusty

Thanks Adam. Number 12 is the plastic bags isn't it? Did you ever get headaches from having too much treble?

• HearPeers Heroes

Karen, i never really got headaches pretty much at any time. I really tried to stay on top of it and bring my journal to each mapping. I'd say the only thing that really grated on my nerves was that high pitch. glasses plates, paper being balled up.

I'd go back and we would check to see how I was doing and would increase ever so slightly each time.

Adam does the plates, cups, glasses etc get 'better'.  ie do they stay loud and continue to make us cringe or do we cope with them or something?

• HearPeers Heroes

Karen, they get much better. My brain is used to the sound plus with the mappings we tweaked some of the higher frequencies until I could handle it then slowly raised them to where it was close to where it should be and sounds ok. (close to what it should be i meant within a certain range)

Now i dont think twice about it and can carry on a conversation in the itchen with somebody doing the dishes.

Remember even in the beginning whn you are first activated things are really loud but by the end on the week they are much softer.

I have used this example here before. it is like standing in a dark room for a while then turning on the lights. At first it is WAAY too bright and you have to squint but after a few minutes we get used to it and are fine. sometimes needing a little more light say to read.

I believe that is the same affectr that we go through early on. we have to give it to our brain a little at a time.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Rusty, no mine is not Medicare. I have supplementary coverage through our Pension plan. Not sure if it will be covered it am submitting a claim to see.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement Adam. Hope is a beautiful thing Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement Adam. Hope is a beautiful thing Smile

Of course Karen, sweet and so innocent. Usually mistaken for being foolish but it is more complex, one of rare feeling which can secretly put smile on your face...

• 7 months later...

In response to Russ on 12.06.2013 18:03, his long note, I could not have said it better myself. I too feel that the whole thing has been kind of down played and in doing so does the implantee no favors. It IS a very big deal. We go through a lot emotionally and physically prior to the surgery, during the surgery and post op. It is an amazing process and offers us hope but we need a lot of understanding and we need support. Down playing the process can be harmful emotionally. Thank you Russ, for your letter. Thank you so so much.

Cathy Knapp, newbie and 3 day recipient of my implant               Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cathy and welcome to HearPeers. Where did you have your surgery? And can you tell us about yourself? I had mine done in London last March and it was the best decision I have ever made. It's a long journey but well worth the effort. We talk about the 3Ps - patience, perseverance and practice. It works. I have had to go to London every three months for mapping but it is starting to pay off. It takes a lot of patience both from us and those around us for this to be successful. I have the Rondo and absolutely love it. I now find I'm impatient to put it on in the morning and the best is I can hear! Good luck and ask as many questions as you like. Everyone will be happy to answer.

• 9 months later...

I had the CI on Nov. 20th. Today I was activated. I am not disappointed nor discouraged, even though, I cannot understand anything

at this point.  There are those in the community who has described in eloquent manners the type sounds I am hearing.  However,

I had been told before hand that it would take time . . . therefore as I said, nor disappointed nor discouraged.  I have read a lot

out-loud this afternoon and listened to ebook while following along with the hard copy.  It is the beginning of a lot of home work

with the expectation that it will be worth it.

I appreciate reading your commends.  You have helped me a lot.

God bless,

Ernie

I had the CI on Nov. 20th. Today I was activated. I am not disappointed nor discouraged, even though, I cannot understand anything

at this point.  There are those in the community who has described in eloquent manners the type sounds I am hearing.  However,

I had been told before hand that it would take time . . . therefore as I said, nor disappointed nor discouraged.  I have read a lot

out-loud this afternoon and listened to ebook while following along with the hard copy.  It is the beginning of a lot of home work

with the expectation that it will be worth it.

I appreciate reading your commends.  You have helped me a lot.

God bless,

Ernie