buzzing on telephone

RoKo

Opus2

I have a buzzing on the phone when I use the telephone function on my fine tuner. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It worked fine until about 2 months ago.

Thank You

Ron

• HearPeers Heroes

Ronald do you mean on your cell phone. are you reffering to the t-coil function on the fine tuner?

thanks Adam. On my house phone when I hit the T on the fine tuner to drown out background noise it just gives a loud buzzing.

Ron

ron

• HearPeers Heroes

HMMM???

Ron, I know I had isues witha cell phone I owned as it was not rated very high for t coil so as soon as I got it within 6 inches of my head, the feedback was unbearable.

If the landline worked well with the tcoil setting before but does not now, I'm at a loss as I have not had any issues with landline usage and using the tcoil.

I will do some digging and see what I can find out. in the meantime, I would touch base with your audi and let them know as this seems to be something relatively new.

I will respond as soon as i find some info but please let us know how things are going.

By the way, I noticed you just started posting. WELCOME TO HEARPEERS!!!

Hi Ron

Sometimes when using the T function on any hearing device, you can pick up the electromagnetic buzzing from the wires in the walls near where the phone is if not also in the phone itself.  Some phones are better than others and some walls are better than others depending on what wiring is inside them.  Maybe try moving the phone to a different location, esp away from the computer as they have the worst buzzing along with the microwave.  If that doesn't work, try a different phone.  Sometimes repositioning the phone can also help to reduce the buzz loudness.  I found the T on the cochlear implants better than HA on one landline but terrible on another.  On another cellphone it was great but on another cellphone it was terrible.

Karen

• HearPeers Heroes

Karen, you are correct!! The thing that is strange and ron correct me if i miss speak here. He has used the same phone, in the same house in the same location and the telecoil function with no problems in the past. Now all of the sudden he is getting the static and feedback.

• HearPeers Heroes

The normal troubleshooting procedure in a case like this is to "rule out" the possible sources of the interference, one by one.

First, EXACTLY what does it sound like? Is it the buzz/hum typical of power line interference frequency interference - constant in nature - common around fluorescent lights, etc.? Or is it more like "static" - intermittent crackling?

If it's of the static / crackling type - most likely a phone line or phone problem. Troubleshoot by substituting another phone.

Have a person with normal hearing listen for the interference on the phone. If they have no problem, that rules out the phone and phone line.

If it does appear to be that constant buzz/hum (power line frequency based) - turn off all circuit breakers in the house. If the buzz/hum disappeared, turn them back on, one by one, until it reappears. Then track the offending device.  Actually troubleshooting the source of the interference the telecoil is picking up. The telecoil itself cannot create any hum/buzz. Static/crackling would be very rare, caused by an intermittent connection or noise in the telecoil or its preamplifier (if so equipped). To rule out any possibility of an actual telecoil problem causing the interference,  go away from the house and any power lines and listen in telecoil mode.

Many thanks to all who took their time to reply. I will try your suggestions and let you know how I made out. I have never tried a cell phone. Has anyone found one to be better than the other?                                                             THANKS AGAIN,  Ron

• HearPeers Heroes

Ron i had a blackberry and could not hear on it to save my life. the static and feedback was so bad (even with telecoil) I stopped even trying to use it. Strange thing is the BB was rated T3 and M4

My BB finally died so I just recently got an android and can hear on the phone with no problem whatsoever. My advice to you is to try out a number of different phones to find out which one is right for you.

Also a belated WELCOME TO HEARPEERS!!!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ronald, I almost forgot. When you activate the T-coil, it doesn't really "drown out" the background noise. what it does is turn off the microphone on your processors. The only signal you pick up is the electromagnetic signal from the phone. Since the microphone is turned off, you don't hear all of the background noise.

you can turn on the "T" on your remote and thisturns off the mic. completley. If you use the T/M, you will still be able to use the telecoil but also hear 50% of the background noise.

Hi Ron, I tried my friends Iphone 4s and I phone 5 and both are brilliant.  I think I only used the microphone setting.  Can't remember if I used T or not.  I hope to get one soon as my current cellphone (nokia) is terrible even on the microphone setting.  Something interferes.  Many shops will not let you try the phones so it is best to try friends' phones.  Also, the clarity still depends upon your CI settings and progress. 

K

Ron, I use a Quattro neck loop and leave my CIs set on M/T. I have a Bluetooth landline phone and an iPhone 4S. I can talk on the phone without the Quattrobut it is easier to,use the neck loop. Try changing processors, too, to see if that makes a difference on your landline clarity. Nyu do pose an interesting conundrum. Good troubleshooting!