surgery tomorrow

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I have learned to be careful with what i tell him. My doctor is really good though as he does not put any restrictions on me. If I ask him when can i do something, he says that i know my body and I know my limits so it is totally up to me. he just asks that i not push too hard. This is a challenge for me to do as i tend to come back a little quicker than i probably should.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ivana Marinac

• Adam

• Sandy

• jpl2ci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• HearPeers Heroes

I have learned to be careful with what i tell him. My doctor is really good though as he does not put any restrictions on me. If I ask him when can i do something, he says that i know my body and I know my limits so it is totally up to me. he just asks that i not push too hard. This is a challenge for me to do as i tend to come back a little quicker than i probably should.

Of course, I would not do this if I did not feel I can do that. I was totally surprised when I saw my iPhone where it was stated 30.

But today - low profile day. Cool

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, there is an article of the first bonebridge surgery done in North America this year. If you google bonebridge implant it comes up with "LHSC performs BONEBRIDGE bone conduction implant. Thought you might be interested in the outcome - success! Have a lazy day, 30km is a long ride. But I find we with challenges tend to push our limits.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, whats the saying?

"That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger"

Luckily for the most part, the CI surgery is one to bounce back from pretty quickly I think for everyone for the most part.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, there is an article of the first bonebridge surgery done in North America this year. If you google bonebridge implant it comes up with "LHSC performs BONEBRIDGE bone conduction implant. Thought you might be interested in the outcome - success! Have a lazy day, 30km is a long ride. But I find we with challenges tend to push our limits.

Yes Sandy, and the patient was active (is she more?) here - Kelly?

Unfortunately I haven't seen her much around.

What I meant to say, Croatia is not first country which has conducted the BB implantation but it will be among first who decided to put into regular schedule of implantation. For instance, I know that BAHA is implanted regularly in many countries but BB, Soundbridge are not.

Secondly, Croatia is mini-minor country not just regarding to the size of the country than to the power of society to give its inhabitants what they need for regular functioning. The real meaning of socially determined countries. For instance, on BB topic was participant from France which is generally social country but she could not expect that her state insurance will cover her op and getting of the device.

Always Wink!

John, you are regular bike rider - did you have any special requirement regarding the helmet? Did you look after some particular helmet or all suited to you well?

Ivana, I was originally hoping to wear my RONDOs so I brought my helmet to the fitting.  Uh, not only no, but no way no. I wear a Bell brand helmet with an adjustable band. Here are two pics. I also have a removable rear view mirror. Both rides were metric centuries, 100 K.

post-277-14302598837105_thumb.jpg

post-277-14302598839979_thumb.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Sandy, and the patient was active (is she more?) here - Kelly?

Unfortunately I haven't seen her much around.

What I meant - I have found Kelly's stuff (YouTube short movie and the announcement on the official website of the Hospital) put on the internet but I am not fluent with copyrights so I am not familiar whether I can put it here.  Undecided

• HearPeers Heroes

John, you are regular bike rider - did you have any special requirement regarding the helmet? Did you look after some particular helmet or all suited to you well?

Ivana, I was originally hoping to wear my RONDOs so I brought my helmet to the fitting.  Uh, not only no, but no way no. I wear a Bell brand helmet with an adjustable band. Here are two pics. I also have a removable rear view mirror. Both rides were metric centuries, 100 K.

John, is it eliptic shape of your helmet or round?

After 35 years I have found, while I was trying available helmets, that my head is - round. Undecided

So most of helmets are not suitable to me because I have some pretty unused space of helmet between my occipital area and the helmet.

I have found some German helmets by ABUS which suited to me pretty nice but I am not sure within their ventilation system:

http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-safety-and-security/Helmets/Urban-City

Unfortunately, I do not have much possibility to try in Croatia - most of stuff I order over the internet. On the other hand I can not be sure if I will pick the right stuff.

I can not resist John - what equipement have your bike?

Mine is Kona Honky Inc. 2012. Cool

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know either. My reason for sending it was that it had such a positive note. She seems to have had more clarity quicker than those having the cochlear implant. I'm trying to practice patience. I still have just over two weeks before my next mapping and am taking some of the suggestions and observations from this forum in the hope that some of the tones will be less high pitched. Plus I miss listening to music and would like her to experiment a bit. But every day is something new.

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course - this is second part of the journey.

As I said - someone has to resolve this issue either mod or Kelly. It would be nice to have exact example within her section of what she were talking about so other people can have better understanding.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy

how many mappings have you had?

I remember that high pitches to me were almost painful. My audi turned one electrode WAAY down and we gradually raised it. the 2 areas that took the longest for me were music and the phone. I got SOOO frustrated when trying to listen to music because it just sounded like mush. I could barely tell people were even singing and forget about trying to pick out instruments. Trust me, I know the frustration. try to be encouraged in that it will get better. It might take you longer than you want but you will make improvements.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

one option you might have is to have a custom helmet made to fit you. I will do some checking to see if there are any companies out there that might be able to help.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

You have a Kona Honky inc?  do you do some cyclocross or off road riding with it?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam, the next mapping will be my third. The last one I thought she would turn down, but instead increased the volume. It seemed like I had to start all over again. I'm finding with some people they sound ok but others still have this tweeting sound. One friend talks loud and its really hard to understand her. Music is mush to me too and almost everyone I'm in contact with uses text messaging. I started on the rehabilitation lessons and the audiologist was correct, my lip reading skills may make this a little harder as I depended on it for so long. I'm calling this part - persistence! Between the rehabilitation exercises for the CI and strengthening my legs after 2 hip replacements (I swim, do daily exercises and walk), its a good thing I retired this month. There's no time to work!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana

one option you might have is to have a custom helmet made to fit you. I will do some checking to see if there are any companies out there that might be able to help.

Adam

Hmmm...Nice thing - but we do not have that possibility Frown

If there is - this would be awesome!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

You have a Kona Honky inc?  do you do some cyclocross or off road riding with it?

Actually Adam - I am dedicated road cyclist. I enjoy to ride bike on the asphalt soil.

Possibly part of my nature or professional - but I was always cautious and I see only trouble when people go cycling beside the road.

Regarding my Kona - it is not CX bike although it might look like because of its slope. I have chosen it because I was afraid that my neck issues (work) will be even more aggravated by the position on the road bike. But it is not - Kona has great geometries and I enjoy each km I make.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, that makes sense. I was a "roadie" in my early days as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy keep plugging away, you will get there.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, you might not have that possibility there, but whose to say somebody in the states can't help you. Maybe all they need are the measurements or imprint of your head. I will at least look into it here and see what the possibilities are.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, that makes sense. I was a "roadie" in my early days as well.

And now - you go crazy: beside the road? Cool

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, you might not have that possibility there, but whose to say somebody in the states can't help you. Maybe all they need are the measurements or imprint of your head. I will at least look into it here and see what the possibilities are.

Of course, each idea is worth of consideration.

Actually, been from small country I am used that I have to order everything by post or similar.

The main disadvantage is to hit right measures.

For instance, I had to even buy my bike on blind because road bikes are not so common here so traders usually afraid they will end with the bike no-one wish to buy. Erhhhmmm...Undecided

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually I dont ride anymore. My primary form of exercise is doing some crossfit and running. So I guess you can say in a way I do go crazy on the side of the road. running down the middle just wouldnt be safe. that is unless I train for an ultramarathon when my runs are at 4:00 in the morning

Ok, Ivana, you just got a get out of jail card for not wearing a helmet when riding a bike. You are no longer a Darwin Award nominee! You are still a nominee for the first Bonebridge implant in Croatia to make it on TV, however. A much better nomination for all, especially you. Now that your surgeon has performed the surgery with an eye towards helmet wearing, there are no excuses. Please take care!

No more excuse, although in Croatia helmets are obliged only for kids.

Now when I got rid of the notorious headband - it is easy to respect this decision taking into account what can happened to us in traffic.

I am specially perceptive regarding this - my bread is pretty often suturing of cyclists.

Ok, I am going to respond to this in another forum topic so people won't think that hijacking threads is the norm!