RONDO 3 - FEW QUESTIONS

Lucas

Hello!

I'm Lucas and I'm from Poland. :) I came across this forum to look up for some answers but couldn't find them. 

I received my new audio processor last week. I chose Rondo 3 because I thought it would be a better choice over Sonnet 2 which is similar to Opus 2 I've had before. Unfortunately, I'm not that happy with my choice but I think I need some time to get use to my Rondo 3. 

First of all - music and phone calls. I know that there is a new Bluetooth adapter called AudioStream but I think it's not that great. Sound quality is different than headphones. While wearing headphones, music was natural, I was able to hear more rich sounds. Also, while my AudioStream Adapter is on, I hear some ticking sounds and that drives me crazy! I think, full Bluetooth connectivity should have been built in the first place like in Kanso 2 from Cochlear. MED-EL should step up their game.

Second of all - my voice seems to be much quieter and it feels like it's distancing from me while I'm talking. I know, that is because of microphones placement. Everything else is fine, I hear things that are away from me better. When something or somebody is close to me it sounds different, but maybe that's the new technology. For now, I don't like the ASM. It does the job reducing noises but it is another thing that I need to test and get use to. 

Few questions about Rondo 3:

1. Do you hear tick sounds when you put your Rondo 3 on the head? I don't know how to describe that sound, it feels like it is activating? I hear 3 beeps/ticks and that's it.

2. Why did my audiologist deactivate monitoring function? So when I place my Rondo 3 on the head there would be a green light indicator? Does that function drain battery faster?

3. Can I charge my Rondo 3 with other charger? In the box there is a 5W charger but it is quite big. Can you destroy the battery in Rondo 3 by using a higher Watt charger? Or it would be a better idea to find a smaller 5W charger?

Because I still have my Opus 2 audio processor - can I switch between Rondo 3 and Opus 2? I want to use Opus 2 when I'm on a train, during flight, while playing video games so I can use headphones and hear music etc.? Will that destroy my cochlear implant?

I think that's all for now.

Also, do you guys think Rondo 4 is around the corner? With better technologies and possibilites? If yes, it saddens me that I need to wait another 5 years to get a new one :(

Thank you. Have a nice day y'all! :)

Lucas

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lucasgoing from OPUS 2 to Rondo 3 presents several changes in addition to the switch from BTE to one piece processor.

A big change is that OPUS 2 uses omni mic setting which gathers sounds from all around us.

Rondo 3 uses ASM 3 settings utilizing its two microphones and depending on which mic setting your audiologist chose for the program, it is purposely dampening sounds which are not in front of us nor perceived as speech.  We can ask for a program in Omni mic setting for Rondo 3 with those front end pre processing functions turned off.

23 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Hi @Lucasgoing from OPUS 2 to Rondo 3 presents several changes in addition to the switch from BTE to one piece processor.

A big change is that OPUS 2 uses omni mic setting which gathers sounds from all around us.

Rondo 3 uses ASM 3 settings utilizing its two microphones and depending on which mic setting your audiologist chose for the program, it is purposely dampening sounds which are not in front of us nor perceived as speech.  We can ask for a program in Omni mic setting for Rondo 3 with those front end pre processing functions turned off.

Thank you @Mary Beth for your answer. :) I will talk about that with my audiologist.

What about other questions? Do you know the answers for them?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lucas

Wr can switch between processors anytime we wish.  I switch back and forth often.

I do not use Rondo 3 so maybe others will respond to those questions.

21 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Lucas

Wr can switch between processors anytime we wish.  I switch back and forth often.

I do not use Rondo 3 so maybe others will respond to those questions.

Thank you, I was worried that switching between processors harm implants.

1- I don’t hear ticking when using Rondo 3. I only did when trying the telecoil adapter which is why I never use it. 

I have AudioStream adapter and love it. It is comparable to the AudioStream sleeve for Sonnet series processors. I have Sonnet 2 as well as Rondo 3, and have both processor’s AudioStream.

2- I am not sure how to answer the question on monitoring mode. Maybe ask your audiologist why they felt it best to turn it off. 

3- You can use another QI rated charger. I have a few three in one chargers (iPhone user) and I sometimes place one Rondo 3 at a time on the space for the EarPods.

Definitely try your Rondo 3 with Omni mic as Mary Beth suggested. I started out with Natural directionality and had to ask for Omni as Med-El at the time (and maybe it’s still the case?) recommends the Natural setting that is forward-focused.

• Members

I agree with what Lauren says.  I have a Sonnet 2 and a Rondo 3 for my single-sided deafness.  Now that the Audiostream for Rondo 3 has come out, I have barely touched used my Sonnet 2. 

I prefer the Rondo 3 with Audiostream for the following reasons:

• Much better battery life
  • Off the ear is more comfortable for me.
  • Better moisture/dust resistance (IP68 vs. IP54)

Of course that is just my preference.  There are logical reasons for people preferring the Sonnet 2. Some of the common reasons include:

• Better positioning of the microphones
  • Variety of battery choices (disposable, small medium, and Max) and replaceable
  • Telecoil built-in (as compared not built-in and requiring going into airplane mode to avoid the clicking)

I'm sure that I missing things but the main reason for me to use the Sonnet 2 was that it was the only on that had the Audiostream.