certain voices

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

ok I was thinking about this today. is there a specific type of voice, volume, man , woman, pitch that just totally throws you off? I for the most part do really well but then a certain person comes along and i just cant understand them to save my life.

• HearPeers Heroes

Quiet talkers - but I suppose that's par for the course.

Check this out to see what I mean:

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Agree - quiet talkers. I have to use my lip reading skills. Also, I've found in a restaurant if I sit with the CI towards the wall, I get most conversations otherwise too noisy but early days yet. Will probably do better once I can filter out noises.

• HearPeers Heroes

I also have problems hearing my youngest brother and my friend's husband. They both have beards.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a beard and I can hear myself just fine.

Wink

• Like 1

Classic Matt. I used to struggle with young children, but seem to be making progress.  Although some men's voices seem to be a bit 'muddy'. Not sure if that is because of my mapping not being set right or because those men may be mumbling....

I have a list of people whom, if I can ever hear them well, are my indicators of major CI success; interestingly, they are all men!

• HearPeers Heroes

Karen, some men are pretty difficult for me as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

oh yeah, quiet talkers for sure. espeially if it is a server in in restaurant.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think due to my hearing loss I spoke very clearly (and loudly) and hoped that the person or people I was speaking to would follow my lead. It worked to a degree but there are life long mumblers out there. Don't start me on Gen Y.

One group - if you could generalise this group - that I find hard to understand are people who's first language isn't English but have lived here for a long time and have a great understanding of the language and vocabulary. They still have  strong accent and they have adopted a common Australian trait which is talking too fast. It's really difficult sometimes explaining myself and asking them to speak a little slower or repeat themselves.

Last month I said to someone, gosh I can't figure out if you're American or Canadian.  She replies, well actually I was born in Canada and lived for 15 years in the States before coming here to NZ last year.  Go figure! I felt chuffed, though I'm not sure what the clues were.  Alot of the time I ask where they are from so I can place the accent and interpret what I hear more easily. At least I don't have to ask if they are speaking English anymore.....

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Karen american /canadian is a toughie. depending on where in Canada I might mistake them for French.  Easily the toughest for me to lipread are the scottish and some irish.  I have some freinds here in town from both countries and before my CI's it was impossible. Of course getting used to that language helps a lot.

when I was in preop for fist CI the nurse walks in and was talking to me so I asked, your not from the U.S. are you? She looked at me amazed that I could tell because she knew I couldn't hear a thing. I guessed either England or Austrailia. She was from austrailia. I have a freind from austrailia so it helped.

she asked how the heck i could tell, just told her that people from different countries dont form the words with their mouhts the same as Americans.

• HearPeers Heroes

Soft voices too...

Regarding your accents... I had a various number of teacher, met so many people from US, GB etc.

To me, East coast is easier to understand, south accent of US are awful as well as northern Irish accent. Gosh....

GB accent is really lovely but it can tired you a lot.

• HearPeers Heroes

Amen Ivana

I am From New York originally but now live in South Carolina. Now I ca hear but still cannot make out what some peoplem are saying

• HearPeers Heroes

Regarding Canadian/American accents, the best way to distinguish one from the other is at the end of the sentence Canadians usually say "eh"

• HearPeers Heroes

Regarding Canadian/American accents, the best way to distinguish one from the other is at the end of the sentence Canadians usually say "eh"

Interesting... In my country one part, not far away from the capital city - people tell some modification of this. Totally untied nations have similar points of distinguishing between themselves...

Yes we lipread accents.  I know sometimes my brain creates an imaginary sound when lipreading without sound and it even creates the posh accent of the UK or Aussie or American twang.  The brain is amazing.  But obviously there is variation amongst deaf people as to what clues they rely upon to lipread.  I cannot lipread Japanese folk or dutch.  The dutch lip movements are inverted and the Japanese rely more on their teeth and tongue than lips (for me).