I think I mentioned this before

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara and Ivana,

I am envious of your multi-lingual skills. In am fluent in English and American Sign Language. My heritage is Italian so that is my next venture. I have Rosetta Stone. Fingers crossed. I can read pretty much Spanish and have novels in Spanish to practice, but my listening skills are not good in Spanish. Now that I can hear again, and have access to the full range of phonemes, I have great hope that I can expand my language skills. It is a great weakness in the US educational system that we do not teach multiple languages to children while their brains are ripe for language learning.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana ,

Thanks for the translation! That campaign sounds amazing! Such a unified support of CIs for children. Croatia should be proud.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara and Ivana,

I am envious of your multi-lingual skills. In am fluent in English and American Sign Language. My heritage is Italian so that is my next venture. I have Rosetta Stone. Fingers crossed. I can read pretty much Spanish and have novels in Spanish to practice, but my listening skills are not good in Spanish. Now that I can hear again, and have access to the full range of phonemes, I have great hope that I can expand my language skills. It is a great weakness in the US educational system that we do not teach multiple languages to children while their brains are ripe for language learning.

A tip for you Mary Beth - Spanish is not similar at all to Croatian, but Croatian housewives actually learnt Spanish through numerous soap-operas on TV. 

Similarly, while I was a kid - we used to watch American and British movies and learnt English in the school for foreign languages. For a start, just try to listen - Italian is not complicated at all. :) 

Just: Practice, Patience & Perseverance. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana ,

Thanks for the translation! That campaign sounds amazing! Such a unified support of CIs for children. Croatia should be proud.

Croatian people are very proud at that campaign because it was first of that kind. This year we will have great anniversary - 20 years of cochlear implantation. It will be held in Split. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Split! That's the town that we visited! It's wonderful to celebrate such an event.

I will start watching Spanish soap operas on TV and see if my Spanish skills improve. Smile. My household is really going to start worrying about me. Smile.

Italian doesn't seem too complicated. It's all that conjugating of verbs!

Funny story - a few years back I met a gentleman from Montreal at an event. He saw my last name and began speaking to me in Italian. I understood him (since it is similar to Spanish) and responded in Spanish (since I do not know Italian). We continued to have this very unusual conversation. He spoke in Italian. I spoke in Spanish. It was cool.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - beautiful city...:)

It`s same group of languages - like Cara and I understand each other: Russian - Croatian.

When I was in college we went to celebrate New Year in Barcelona - a host was a Spanish lady who didn`t speak any language except Spanish. Well, we said... My friend knew Italian, I spoke English and we bought the Spanish-English dictionary. My friend understood what lady talked but then we looked into dictionary and I have translated everything to English and finally - at Croatian.  :D  :D

• HearPeers Heroes

I love it! It's like that old whisper down the line game! One kids starts by whispering a message to the next kid. Then the next kids whispers the same message to the following kid. Etc. then at the end you see if the message stayed intact or changed!

Like language dominoes. Sure hope your messages stayed intact! Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Broken telephone we called it!! Well that's really our life now!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

I love it! It's like that old whisper down the line game! One kids starts by whispering a message to the next kid. Then the next kids whispers the same message to the following kid. Etc. then at the end you see if the message stayed intact or changed!

Like language dominoes. Sure hope your messages stayed intact! Smile.

Broken telephone we called it!! Well that's really our life now!! Lol

Yes! :D :D :D - it's my game of childhood which I didn't like because I couldn't hear the word but I liked the concept....

• HearPeers Heroes

Me either. I was always "the broken" one. The concept was fun though.