New User- Adjustment questions

bennylips13

Lisa, the more you use your implant, the quicker your brain will "learn" how to decipher and categorize the sounds. Mind you, I am not saying, lose the HA! Since you are doing so well, you have been awarded the Order of the Wite Tailed Deer with Butterflies. I was going to set the award to music but "Our New Hampshire" does not have enough Pomp and Circumstance. Maybe your son could come up with something.

• HearPeers Heroes

John and Lisa

when I got my second implant activated, my audi actually wanted me to wear only the newer one for at least a few hours a day. I guess it kind of forced that ear to work.

John is a cyclist. if he buys the state of the art road bike but does not ride it, he can't expect to go out and ride 100 miles and do well. could he do it? sure but it would not be as smooth and effortless as if he had been training with that bike.

I think the CI is the same way. you gotta be willing to put in the work if you want to get the most benefit from it.

Lisa, seem like you are doing pretty good getting adjusted to your new CI. Those high pitch sound I am getting today is bringing my memory back from when I first got activated many years ago. I just about fell off my chair when I heard my audiologist say can you hear me now sounding like a (chipmunk on helium), as John explain it better what it sound like. I thought this can't be happening again, Oh no here we go again. The dishes bumping together really does make that awful sound. I had to turn off my processor for a while and it really help, not sounding too bad now, since my brain already been thru this before. Like I said getting thru this with a lot of patience and adjustment, soon will be forgotten.

• HearPeers Heroes

After reading the posts today, it seems that the opposite was done for me. I used only program one as the volume seemed quite loud. And during my second mapping she turned it up when I thought it should have been turned down. With this last mapping, I've noticed quite a difference in the sounds with program one. Plastic bags and dishes don't have quite that annoying sound.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, I think each audiologist has their own way of going through the process of getting people where they need to be. It sounds to me that you are doing quite well.

I had one audi that wanted to wait 6 weeks abd was much moirse conservative. Then she left for another job so i had another audi for my second implant and she was m,uch more aggressive in getting me up to speed. As long as your progressing nicely, that is the goal.

Ben, Lisa, Sandy, the audi works for you, not the other way around. If you feel that the volume is not what you want, you should speak up.  I am very fortunate to have an audi who listens to me , makes my requested adjustments and then tweaks then, with my explicit approval. Going to see her is not a chore, it is an opportunity to push the limits even further.  I don't believe that I would be hearing as well today if she had not listened to me.  When my second implant was activated, she did not ask me to use it solely.  I went bilateral immediately not unilateral on one side, then the other. this thread really shows that while we all have CIs, and are at different stages, the medical assistance we have all received is vastly different, neither good nor bad!

• HearPeers Heroes

I have to admit, I am very happy with my audiologist. She listened to what I said, made suggestions and we tried all sorts of scenarios. I was in her office for almost 3 hours. She made me feel very good about my progress.

• HearPeers Heroes

John and Sandy I agree with you both. Yes the Audi works for you but I also think it has to be a team effort. If my audi didn't listen to me or my sugestions because he/she is the "professional", it would be time to look for another audi. Luckily I have one heck of a good one. i think a majority of them out there are very good.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have to add here my 2 coins - the co-operation with the audiologist is crucial.

I remember how we have worked hard to adjust my last HA (first digital HA) and how much patience we needed to adjust the sound of pressing paper or similar...

Patience and perseverance...Someone can say - to be boring but it's not: just to be willing to explore as much as you can and never stop. Life is neverending story...

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, it for sure is not an easy process in getting you where you need to be. This is why I think we all agree how important a good audi is.