Activation Day

Eagle

Well here is my result on my activation since I was down for 70 days following a revision surgery. It was a strange feeling prior to my activation. My biggest fear was will it work? Getting turn on the first time was awesome to hear something. It started out very squeaky, high frequency. Got a little worry but that was the beginning of setting up the mapping. After a while started to sound better, making out voice. I was told that it would be just like my first activation, starting all over again. With the new implant and sound strategy was going to be different, except I was able to recognize the sound right away but in a newer sound. Now I am back into cartoon land, everybody sound like they are on helium. It hard not to laugh, keeping myself cool while I listen to the lady talking as it sound like the Chip and Dale show. Everything sound squeaky, when I walk too. When I start my car, it also sound different, like a big whoosh and driving with the window open it sound like a hoover vacuum. Turn on the radio and the music sound great but when listen to the talk show, it back to Chip and Dale. I cannot make out what they are saying yet. Came home turn the TV on and it is all cartoon channel, with CC it help to follow. Took my processor off for now to give my brain a break. It is humming now, slowly getting quiet again. At last I can relax knowing it will get better, one day at a time.

Brian, chipmunks on helium, ftw! I am so happy for you. Isn't it nice to remove the external processor for some blessed silence, also knowing that you control the sound or lack thereof? Inspiring, for sure!

Yes John, That is exactly what it sound like Chipmunks on helium. I took my processor off for a couple of hours and it sure did gave my brain a break. I try it on again and it is sounding a lot better already. Seem like it is picking a lot more quiet sound like the pot boiling, fridge humming, rain on the roof, etc. Most likely was used to that before but it sure sound louder. I notice the clarity on the sound seem clearer as I suppose it has something to do with more electrode simulation and newer programing strategy. Listening to the music seem clearer too but not making out words yet. I am so happy to hear things again. Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

Well after all of the checks to make sure each electrode was actually working, it was time to go live. My audi asked if I was ready and "flipped the switch". The best way for me to describe it was like a rush or wave of SOUND. My audi started talking and for about 30 seconds all I could hear was this white noise static but it was in perfect sync with her mouth movments. Then I could barely start to hear words through the static. Then all of the sudden the static went away and my audi turned into alvin the chipmunk. We went back anf forth going through i guess the usual testing with her holding that blasted black round thing in front of her mouth so i cant cheat. Then a little while later, mid sentence she morphed from Alvin to Darth Vader. That was all I could take, and I just had to laugh. Pretty much after we left the clinic, I must have asked my poor wife what sound it was that i was hearing. Music on the car radio was pure mush. I could make out nothing. family freinds and coworkers sounded the most "normal" a lot of echo and very tinny. Anybody new, pick a cartoon character. It took a few weeks for voices to settle down but for me, music and the phone took the longest by far to come back. I can remember thinking, "I am never going to be able to listen to music again". Boy was I wrong. Everything sounds exactly as it did when I could hear, naturally that is. 2 years and 3 months later i am still improving. At my 2 year map, I made slight improvement in pure tone, words and sentences.

It's always so encouraging to hear how the improvements keep happening, even years later.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa, you bet. I was floored when I saw the pure tone scores.

• HearPeers Heroes

Me too. When I looked at the sheet it was 91%!

• HearPeers Heroes

YOU GO GIRL!!! that is awesome! congratulations

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Adam. I was quite pleased. My audiologist will be sending me a copy of the written report.