implant education

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Had a great opportunity this weekend. I got to speak to over 900 kids in different age group classes at our church about disabilities. We avg. about a 1000 kids a weekend. (we have a large church)

I talked about what you should do and what you shouldn’t do when you encounter a person that is physically or mentally challenged.

I also had the chance to discuss my hearing and cochlear implants. They asked some great questions and it was an awesome opportunity to educate about implants.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great Adam. The more people that are educated, the better. That is definitely a large church! My parents brought me up to believe that the only disability you have, is the one you give in to. The people that I run into most that find it hard to deal with their disabilities are those that have always been healthy and then something happens. Good work, the word needs to get out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, thank you for the kind words. yes it is a big church. we avg. about 7,000 people a weekend at our campus.

i told them that i really did not like the term dissability as that implies that you are not able to do something.  I prefer the term adaptability. They might not be able to do the same thing you can but with some modifications might be able to get pretty close.

Even showed them the balloon i used a few years ago while directing a play I was involved in. they really enjoyed it and asked dsome really good questions.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa, no it wasnt bad at all. they were amazed at seeing and hearing about it it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Fredrik, I hope all is going well for you!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, thank you for the kind words. yes it is a big church. we avg. about 7,000 people a weekend at our campus.

i told them that i really did not like the term dissability as that implies that you are not able to do something.  I prefer the term adaptability. They might not be able to do the same thing you can but with some modifications might be able to get pretty close.

Even showed them the balloon i used a few years ago while directing a play I was involved in. they really enjoyed it and asked dsome really good questions.

Nice explanation which really pull out the essence of what should be discussed by someone(s disability - not what you can't than what you CAN do.

Thumb up!

And for the number: o-O my gosh...