Humidity

Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

Those who live in a humid area, do you have problems with your processor when it is humid? It's been very humid here the last week or so and I've noticed that voices are sounding tinny again. I re calibrated the processor but no change. I also crossed thr border back into Canada. Could the machines they now have be affecting the processor?

We've had average humidity here in NH this past month, and I put CI/HA on before my hair has fully dried and I've not noticed any trouble with my Rondo.  I do put it in the Zephyr each night. I know the literature says that machines like metal detectors aren't supposed to effect it... perhaps you should put a call or email in to MedEl customer service or your audi to ask about it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, I live in Mt. Pleasant SC and the humidity especially in Aug runs a steady 100% with heat indexes around the same. If I get too much moisture, mainly from sweat from working out. it will sound kind of muted like something is covering the mic. Might sound kind of crackly if that is a word :o). generally when I get home, I'll put it in the dry and store and its fine.

On a day to day basis, just normal wear even outside for hours, i don't have any trouble at all. I would touch base with your audi to make sure everything is working as it should.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks lisa and Adam. I will email my audiologist just to be on the safe side.

• HearPeers Heroes

No problem Sandy. Let us know what you find out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Just an update. I contacted my audiologist this morning and she is ordering a replacement processor. She does not think it was the border crossing but could be the humidity. She did, however, say anything was possible.

Sandy, kudos for you for being proactive so you can hear as well as possible. After all, we don't want bears and penguins and beavers and loonies to attack and you not be able to hear in time to defend yourself. I believe that Dudley Doright is off either saving Nell and/or chasing Snidely Whiplash!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks John. Just have to remember the bears. They do sneak up on you. Haven't seen any in my yard this year but last year had one at the patio window. It woke me up as I was sleeping on the couch. It's nice having my Rondo as it does alert me. Will keep you posted if I see any penguins waddling down my driveway! Have a great Labour Day weekend everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine that metal detectors would be strong enough to comproise the programming of a CI and/or the processor.  I'm assuming that since they are medical devices that they are shielded quite well for protection. I'd also assume that our cellphones are less protected and therefore more vulnerable to the "machines" and that you would see the effects more quickly on your phone before you'd experience anything in your processor.

Having had a ton of experience in ULTRA humid environments, I believe that the "tinny" effect you described is merely from moisture penetrating your processor. This is exactly the effect I observe when sweat gets into the battery pack OR into the coil plug cavity (where the cord enters the coil). This "tinnyness" is usually my warning that my processor has gotten wet.  I usually am able to remedy it quickly with a couple of well-practiced swipes of a q-tip or I just stick the whole thing into an electronic dryer.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the information Chuckie. The tinny sound is still there and it sounds like I'm listening in a tunnel. Almost like going back to day one of activation. Still waiting for the replacement to see if it was the humidity or me. Will keep everyone posted. Hope it arrives soon as this could get irritating.

that's definitely moisture... Hope you get your replacement ASAP! Do you have an electronic dryer?(Zephyr, Dry & Store, etc.) If not - this is a great tool to have which will lessen the amount of issues you have with moisture.

• HearPeers Heroes

Chuckie I agree, Sandy that sounds a lot like a moisture issue. Be sure to use your dry and store every day if you have one as that will prolong the life of the processor and really dry things out for you. If you know it is totally dry and still hear things that dont sound quite right, contact your medel rep or audi to troubleshoot.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have used the Zephyr every night since receiving the processor. My audiologist has ordered the replacement so hopefully this week I will have it. Will keep you informed.

Sandy, since you ar easing the Zephyr, how often are you changing the desiccant brick? I buy my replacement on the web as it is a much less painful process. Just a thought for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

John, I'm getting mine from a local audi. is it expensive on the web?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi John, per instructions from my audiologist, I change the brick every three months. How often do you change yours?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, its the dry and store I was given to use each night for my processor.

Girls&Guys - what is Zephyr? Undecided

Ivana,

picture #1
  • Provides maximum drying effectiveness
  • Automatic shut off after 8 hours
  • A disposable Dry-Brik desiccant is included with each Zephyr

Picture #2

Dry-Brik II Desiccant Blocks 6-Pack

$18.00

Adam, what are you paying through your audi?

Amazon.com for the win.

21RtAi%2BrlYL.jpg

post-277-14302598864194_thumb.jpg

post-277-1430259886431_thumb.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Tnx John - I have got a box with my BB but it is a plain box no special inner equipment or similar.

Ivana,  http://dryandstore.com/Zephyr.cfm but if you can find a power source, I can send you my old one.  I have two and the power brick went out.  I also have the outlet adapters.  your cal.  It is a great device.  Amazon.com does have it for less, though, but I am even less!

please let me know!

Tnx John - I have got a box with my BB but it is a plain box no special inner equipment or similar.

Ivana, our box is just a storage box.   There are also "passive" drying boxes to get from the audiligists.  (no built in elektronik)

/Fredrik

• HearPeers Heroes

I received my replacement Rondo today and I do find a difference. The clarity is better. And TV as well sounded clearer. I will have a better idea over the next few days. I need to put myself into the situations where everything sounded like I was in a tunnel or cave. Hope it works!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, that is awesome to hear. hopefully things will continue to improve for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,  http://dryandstore.com/Zephyr.cfm but if you can find a power source, I can send you my old one.  I have two and the power brick went out.  I also have the outlet adapters.  your cal.  It is a great device.  Amazon.com does have it for less, though, but I am even less!

please let me know!

Tnx John for the link - I have to explore this a little bit since this is something totally new to me. Laughing