Humidity

Sandy

I change my dessicant brick every 3 months in the dry winter months but do it every 4-6 weeks in the humid summer months.  If I lived in Florida or Seattle or some other damp place I'd change it monthly, just to be sure.

• HearPeers Heroes

I change my brick about every month. during the summer. the winter i can extend it a little longer.

• HearPeers Heroes

John, I think you need to bedazzle your rondo. You'll be the talk of the town.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Just an update. I have my next mapping tomorrow and it should be interesting. Last Friday we went across the U.S. Border again and my processor started acting up again. Voices back to Mickey Mouse, high tweeting noise and I feel like I'm in a tunnel. I sent an email to my audiologist and she is contacting Med-el so maybe a rep will be there tomorrow. With all the new security at border crossings I am becoming convinced that it is the same as going through security at the airport. A few years ago I had a nuclear bone scan and the security at the border detected the radiation still in my body so it must be very powerful. Will lkeep yo unformed.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, had my mapping today but nothing on the humidity versus border issue. My audiologist collected additional information to discuss with the Medel rep. I had a great discussion with my audiologist and changed 2 programs. I'm going with one program that will be louder than it was the last time and we changed the program that deactivated electrode 12 and increased the volume to a comfort level. I'm to experiment with both to see which is better. Audio gram shows I'm within the norm range for the lower tones but do not have a very high tolerance yet for the high pitches. This being said, we are going slow in raising the high pitches. At each mapping we will be raising them until they reach the norm. Does this make sense Ivana, Adam and John? By raising the volume too high, I am not able to distinguish what is being said. Patience, practice and persistence! My motto! My audiologist also says this occurs because I have never ever heard some of these sounds. She made one very profound comment as well. I only hear with one ear, so I'm not going to hear like a person who has two "normal" ears. Makes sense.

Sandy, I remember, not so fondly, when we were playing with the electrodes and Leslie, boosted the level of the higher frequencies.  It hurt so bad. so I ripped the coil off my head!!!!!! we left that electrode alone for many months.  we have since adjusted the volume slightly.  so, Sandy, your question makes absolute prefect sense. if a low or mid range pitch is too loud, I can deal with it. a higher pitch, not so much.  it does take time to acclimate your brain to high pitches produced by the CI.  you are doing great.

PS, I guess I won't invite you to the "real" Thanksgiving in Dallas in November although if you came, I could probably get you into being remapped and we could see if the weird TSA agents are messing with your implants.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the encouragement John. I will pass on Dallas for the moment.. I'm turkey end out and one mapping a month will suffice. I will keep practicing and believe one day I will look back and laugh.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, you are spot on. as a matter of fact I took alsmost the exact same route with the infamous electrode 12. The god news is that #12 ended up exactly where it needed to be. Slow and steady wins the race.