Lithium-Ion batteries

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Do any of you hesitate to use rechargeable Li-Ion batteries in your processors after hearing all the reports of problems with Li-Ion batteries in other electronic devices?

That is why I use disposable batteries as much as possible. Are the MEDEL recharging batteries LI-ion I have never really checked I always use the disposable batteries I know that they will last 2 days for sure and I replace every 2 day in the AM

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave

I switched to using disposable batteries with my Sonnets too.  The rechargeable batteries kept decreasing in hours and no longer lasted until the end of my work day.

https://blog.medel.pro/sonnet-rechargeable-batteries/

• HearPeers Heroes

I am still content with my rechargeable batteries. Nobody from my circle had any issues with Li-ion batteries so I have kind of "false confidence" that nothing bad is going to happen to my batteries. In December I switched to disposable batteries for a couple weeks to see if I miss it. It looks, I like my rechargeables more even if I would like to have them lasted for much longer time before charging.

• Like 2

It all comes down to battery management, as li-ion does not like depleting/full charge cycles.

For example the Chevrolet Volt electric plugin charge uses li-ion batteries :) and its lifetime if just fine, actually none failed after 7 years of usage. But they use special kinda chemistry and also smart cycling, charge is always in range 20-80%.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Cara Mia

I should probably go back and try the rechargeable batteries again as I was also one of the group of people who noticed better sound quality with rechargeable batteries in the Sonnets for some strange reason.  Med-El replaced my rechargeable batteries and the second set also ran down in battery life so no longer last a full work day.  I didn’t mind switching the batteries at the end of work but having them die even before the work day ends is very annoying.  Maybe I will test them out again and compare sound quality.  It’s the strangest thing because my Opus 2 sounds exactly the same using rechargeable batteries or disposable batteries.  

@dare_v

Very good point about Li-ion batteries not liking to be fully drained.  I had been switching them out prior to the dead battery beeps at the end of my work day so they were not being fully drained.  However, after several months they no longer make a full work day so I was encountering the dead battery beeps.

Replacing the Li-ion batteries within a year seems terrible for the environment.  One of the reasons I prefer rechargeable batteries is they may be more environmentally friendly.

• HearPeers Heroes

I’m not one of the ones with the rechargeable batteries not lasting as long. I’m still getting 10-11 hours from mine after a year. But that being said I love the disposables for their long life. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I wish I understood why mine keep depleting in hours.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/12/2018 at 8:03 AM, Mary Beth said:

I wish I understood why mine keep depleting in hours.

Have you cleaned the connections. I see videos on MedEl on cleaning battery contacts. 

I agree with CaraMia, I have had no problem with my rechargeable batteries either.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

I never get anywhere near the “up to ___ hours” no matter which processor I use.  This is what concerns me about the Rondo 2 “up to 18 hours” with no option for changing batteries.

Opus 2 with DaCapo 

up to 16 hours, I get 11 hours

Rondo with disposable batteries

up to 60 hours, I get 50 hours

Sonnet standard rechargeable

up to 10, I start at 10.5 but it decreases after a couple of months and now barely makes 9 hours

Sonnet disposable

last 35 hours for me

So for whatever reason, I consistently get less battery life than the “up to” number.  It’s fine.  I know how long the batteries last and plan accordingly.

But it concerns me about the Rondo 2.

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe that the life of the battery of the Rondo 2 is one of the things that most concerns us

• HearPeers Heroes
On 1/10/2018 at 11:52 PM, dare_v said:

But they use special kinda chemistry and also smart cycling, charge is always in range 20-80%.

I cannot be sure about persentage, but it seems that our rechargeable batteries are not empty completely after CIs stop working following empty battery beeps. My EAS unit works after CI is disabled due to not enough power.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Cara Mia

So when you use rechargeable Sonnet batteries in your EAS, the CI component turns off after the dead battery beeps but the acoustic component for the low frequencies stays active?  Interesting.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's correct, Mary Beth.

One time I was able to wait with the battery replacement for a while. My acoustic component worked for about an hour until I had to stop my experiment.

I am not surprised that it is done that way as it seems to me that the parallel circuit is the only smart choice for both component connection.

The acoustic unit is not so energy consuming (should be even less consuming than the regular HA), so there should be enough juice in the battery left for it when CI has not enough to stay alive.