March 2018 implant surgeries

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Just days to go - March 13 next Tuesday!!

How exciting to wakeup afterwards with that big cup on my ear!! <smile>

Then I get to wait 5 weeks 3 days to activation.  All this waiting...I'll be glad when all that is behind me again!

-----

On a separate note - I was reading an MedEl Blog post that mentioned my Dr. in the references - so I read that article and then searched for his name and found 9 recent articles that he authored or co-authored in the last 8 years. I am so glad to know of his research skills and will ask him for articles regarding my particular anatomical issue related to CI implantation. What ever is causing the blockage.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am rooting for you Joe! Best of luck and get lots of rest after! ?? I too can’t wait for it to be over. Pre-op this Tuesday. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada In the us I found now that I was required to get a vaccine pneumovax, never needed it for right ear but got first of two shots last year for second try of left ear implant.

Does Canada require that?

i am curious if you know how long a wait you have between surgery and activation. I have to wait 5 weeks. I am told it is because they are very busy and not enough staff. my thought is her more people!

joe

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jdashiell. We have the same surgeon and my activation is exactly 4 weeks after surgery. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell yes wth the first implant I had to get the shots. The surgeon said relate every 7-10 years. I will wait four weeks for activation. I agree we are short staffed too. But it’s lol about the dollar value. The medical profession is a major money grab. Not necessarily about having enough staff. 

I ended up getting two different shots. Mengugate and prevnar13. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada You are just two weeks away - this will be your 2nd implant correct? making you bilateral?

@Dave Is this a new implant or a reimplant?

Tomorrow 3/13/18 is my big day for explanation/reimplantation.

I am excited to find out that the implant goes in properly this time and what implant will be used. More to come later this week ...

Then 5 weeks to wait for Activation again.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell I can not imagine the thoughts spinning around your head today as you await tomorrow’s big day.  I will be rooting you on!  Let us know how it goes when you can.  Wishing you the best!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jdashiell. I'm cheering for you all the way from Jamaica. I hope that everything goes well tomorrow. What time is your surgery? 

• HearPeers Heroes
2 minutes ago, Jewel said:

Hi @Jdashiell. I'm cheering for you all the way from Jamaica. I hope that everything goes well tomorrow. What time is your surgery? 

I am waiting for a call from the OR staff sometime before 4PM today. If no call by 4, I call them.

In the past three surgeries, I have always received a call around noon.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

6 Am that means I leave the house at 5:15, wake at 4:30 ugh. At least I get to sleep throughout. I hope Amy can sleep while waiting for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Guess you're first on the list for surgeries tomorrow!  @Jdashiell

So you get the surgeon when he's most alert ?. It all begins in less than 12 hours! Woo hoo! The wait is almost over. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck tomorrow @Jdashiell!!!

Sending you good vibes for a smooth surgery ? when you’re feeling up to it, let us know how you do!

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Megan L. said:

Good luck tomorrow @Jdashiell!!!

Sending you good vibes for a smooth surgery ? when you’re feeling up to it, let us know how you do!

6 Am that means I leave the house at 5:15, wake at 4:30 ugh. At least I get to sleep throughout. I hope Amy can sleep while waiting for me

• HearPeers Heroes

Thinking of you Joe!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thinking of you Joe!

• HearPeers Heroes

Just woke and was told it was a success!!

last implant never made it in the cochlea 

i will know know more next week when I meet with Dr. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent Joe!! Now you rest and wait ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Super wonderful! Awesome!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Although I wish your journey to becoming bilateral had been easier, this is something that excites me about Med-El.  They designed a tool in collaboration with your surgeon to help you receive an implant.  That level of dedication is fabulous!  

I can’t wait until your activation!  Will you be working with an audiologist who is new to you?

1 hour ago, Jdashiell said:

Just woke and was told it was a success!!

last implant never made it in the cochlea 

Sweetest words one can hear 

You got this.  I'm so happy

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Finally arrived home. All day endeavor. This time I am experiencing a lot of dizziness but this is day 1. 

Nap time now :)