Mary Beth

March 2018 implant surgeries

Yes joe I’m going bilateral. Yay! Glad to hear everything went well! Do rest up 

Had my pre-op today. All set for surgery! 

Just checking in on you @Jdashiell.  I hope you are doing well.

Day 3 still some instability, mild soreness- Tylenol fixes that 

i see Dr in one week from yesterday Wednesday I am in good spirits and enjoying reading all the comments from all my friends here in HearPeers! Great encouragement 

@Kara of Canadaand @DaveGood luck ?

Super @Jdashiell!  Rest easy!  

Hey Joe, glad that your recovery is coming along well. I'm benefiting from your updates as now I know what to expect after my surgery. 

Take it easy. 

Yes Joe glad to hear you are doing well. Take it easy with the dizziness. 

On 3/14/2018 at 0:45 AM, Kara of Canada said:

Yes joe I’m going bilateral. Yay! Glad to hear everything went well! Do rest up 

I read that in Canada they only allow one implant. How could you get approved for two?

Well I appealed to the hospital implant team they can put you on a list that can take up to 20 yers if your a good candidate. I actually got involved in a study to see the benefits of bilateral implantation vs unilateral. So they covered the cost for me. I’m on,y 40. Many people getting implanted are 20-30 years older than me. I want balanced hearing and will fight for it. I mean they give people organs and limbs why not ears?! 

Yes I agree hearing does not seem to be an important issue as the old saying goes you fight girl and like you I want the balance of life I am 72 years young very healthy and  I eat about 75% good food 25% of ? yummy foods and I plan on living at least 25 years I am going out of this world BROKE 

Lol me too! Going out for broke! You can’t simply only eat heathy foods you need to be happy and enjoy life. Balance as they say! A little chocolate goes a long way!! 

Improving daily. Mornings are tough

still a little *dizzyness* but improving daily 

netflix therapy

Are you able to sleep well @Jdashiell

The first night is a little tough you have an ear cup over your ear so you can’t sleep on that side if you roll over the cup will wake you it’s avout size of your knee I only had to use it the first night the next mornings took off and you can bathe as your normal way

trim minimal hair line

@Jdashiell  That is terrific Joe.  Better and better each day and fully inserted electrode array!  I am so happy for you.

@Dave  A lot of CI centers use that cup post surgery but my CI center does not use the cup.  They wrap us up, but no cup.

@Jewel  I chose to sleep with my head elevated for several days to reduce the chance of swelling.  It worked great.  

Are you wearing a cup @Jdashiell

Well that sounds a little personal 

but no I took off the bandage and cup yesterday after 48 hrs per recommendation. I waited a little longer till my wife was home to help:)

I wore a cup for every surgery I had and removed it after 2 days. Bathing everyday but no shower for 5 days. I see surgeon again 1 week after surgery 1) to see how I healing and 2) for me to get details such as which implat was used and view any images I requested 

@Jdashiell

It is so interesting how there are so many different ways that our CI surgeons follow.

Do you know if it was a Med-El or AB implant yet?  I wasn’t sure if you will be learning the electrode array at the appt or if you will also be learning which brand at your appt.

My head was wrapped and I was to remove it 24 hours later.  I was able to shower a day or two post surgery but was to keep that area dry.

Only bathing allowed for the first five days? Argh, there was only a shower head at the hotel I stayed at for the last doctor' visit. Guess I need to look for a different hotel. Thanks @Jdashiell

We were told following surgery, well my wife was, that the implant is definitely MedEl 

i will be asking Wednesday which implant was used  and more details about the procedure. I had requested images, photos, videos and Dr said yes, so ill see what he has to show me. 

As for showering,it’s important to keep the incision dry to heal properly and prevent infection. Do not cover it so it gets air to heal 

Do you know who will be doing your activation and mappings @Jdashiell? They have booked me with Alicia Restrepo. 

I bet you can’t wait to see those images @Jdashiell!

@Jewel

I stayed overnight at a hotel in NYC post surgery.  We made sure the room had a comfortable chair with an ottoman that could be positioned against the wall to support pillows.  It worked great as a way to keep my head elevated and be comfortable to sleep.  Just in case this helps you when choosing a hotel to stay at post surgery.