March 2018 implant surgeries

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell congrats on the successful surgery. Glad to see you received a fully inserted MED-EL Electrode array. You should have a smooth recovery since Dr. Eshraghi performed the surgery.

Dr. Eshraghi wrote a paper recently about choosing electrode arrays for challenging cases such as reimplantation. Unfortunately the full paper is difficult to obtain. Could you ask him for a copy of the full paper when you see him again? Thanks and best wishes for recovery. Link to abstract of paper is below.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40136-017-0171-3

• HearPeers Heroes

@hadron thanks for the link to tha abstract and your wishes. I appreciate you providing that. I will be sure to ask for a copy when I see Dr E. Next week

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Congrats Joe! Keep resting up! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Dave best of luck! Well @Jdashiell I am a bit anxious now that you mention it. I had a cold got through that. Then had a stomach bug got through that. I don’t want to get sick anymore! Got to have this surgery! Then it can rain sickness! Lol. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Dave! All the best with the surgery and please keep us posted about your progress.

What time is surgery tomorrow? 

Thank you very much I really appreciate it I will let you know how it goes

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

Sending you more good vibes @Dave for a smooth, successful surgery ? 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

wow I know what you mean - I did not want anything to block my surgery schedule- I had waited soooo long for it.

went out to dinner with family and my sister in law was sick with cold and sat across from me. She did not say a word that she was sick! Luckily I did not get sick too

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

wow I know what you mean - I did not want anything to block my surgery schedule- I had waited soooo long for it.

went out to dinner with family and my sister in law was sick with cold and sat across from me. She did not say a word that she was sick! Luckily I did not get sick too- this was a few days before surgery 

• HearPeers Heroes
35 minutes ago, Dave said:

Thanks Joe I sure will and how are you doing,

I am doing great today. Back to work for a few hours before I see my dr for post-op follow up

the first week was a bear, I think more so than any other implant surgeries I’ve had, but understandable.

but I knew that this would all pass and am looking forward to great results when activation in four more weeks.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had a good meeting this afternoon with Dr. E. Post op.

he did not have his phone with him so he could not provide any imagaes this time. He did say has has an X-ray showing all electrodes are in the cochlea as desired. He use a Flex 24 array this time because of size of cochlea and that he had to drill through ossified blockage. (I have Flex 28 on the right) That blockage was there prior to previous surgeries and the last implant never was able to enter the cochlea at all. Because it was near by provided me with very high frequencies only, at the outer part of the cochlea. 

He said he is using my case in a new research article and that he does similar surgeries, this morning he had one from another patient from out of the country.

I am very happy that I chose him because of the research he does and his experience. I told him so.

I also asked about obtaining research papers and he provided some web sites, my wife wrote them down. I’ll post later.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news @Jdashiell.  Now the wait until activation and then the fun begins!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh yes hopefully great news ahead 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Amazing glad to hear the good news!! Soon will be activation! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Today is Dave’s surgery. Best of luck @Dave!! 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

This is what I looked Like on Day one (through 3)

Note bandage was primarily cloth and gauze. A previous surgeries at another hospital used all that plus a plastic cup.

This was much more comfortable, well less uncomfortable, all around.

I hope to hear what Dave and Kara have in place post Op.

Joe PoostOp 3-13-18.JPG

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine was similar.  I had removed that side’s arm of an old pair of glasses to use until I healed for a few days.

• HearPeers Heroes
19 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Mine was similar.  I had removed that side’s arm of an old pair of glasses to use until I healed for a few days.

I wanted to do the same but my Silhouettes do not provide that option, but the arm bends OK.

After removing the bandage I wear a piece of gauze over the ear to protect the arm from irritating the scar.

• HearPeers Heroes

This was my first one. Lol corny pic!! 

DC30E261-5A80-4C93-8635-AF002FE390EE.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell I had the cloth and gauze too. No problems. Glad to see your post op appointment was very informative and thanks for asking about research articles.

There is a young very talented CI researcher at UMiami named Dr. Prentiss. Her research interests include speech understanding in challenging environments, music perception and hearing preservation. I recommend trying to participate as a research subject if you can.