March 2018 implant surgeries

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

So the new implant is in a different position from the other. Where as rh other is very close to my ear and rubs together occasionally. 

EBA98C68-0B0D-470F-8A14-86AFBA501336.jpeg

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Kara of Canada, I've never seen any pic of anyone with an implant so close to the ear, almost on top of the ear as with your right ear. Do you prefer the position of the new ci for the left ear?

Although you're not activated are you able to hear from the left ear with the CI? Just curious. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jewel  I wa never given a choice for position. It was up to the surgeon. The first time there were may complications so it was not an important decision. This time with no complications he used a more standard position. I’m happy to have two. Plus soon I’ll be able to hear with two! There is no hearing whatsoever from the new implanted ear. There is much swelling inside and fluid floating around in there. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada - I love the colors on your processor!  Are those from Med-El or somewhere else?  And (more to the point) I'm glad to see your post and that you're up and around.  Hope your activation goes well!

Ooh, just noticed - did they close the incision with staples?  I hate to say it as an employee of a company that makes surgical staples, but man, I don't like those when they're on me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jewel I don’t have an official date yet. I go for my follow up in a week and a half. I’ll grt my date then. @Mary Featherston I got this particular design it’s called a design skin which you can put on top of your processor to dress it up. This design is called summer. I only have my right one so far. I’ll put it on my left one when i get it activated. I have one for each. Yup staples on my head. Anywhere else I would avoid them. They were fine on my head last time. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada - Yes, it occurred to me after I posted that my objections to staples wouldn't apply much on the head.  I had 'em on abdominal surgery years ago and when the swelling from the surgery went down they moved....a lot.  I could feel both ends of each staple.  Finally went to the doctor and said, look, these need to GO.  If you can't take them out, I have a standard office-supplies staple remover at home.

:-)

• HearPeers Heroes

I had two similar problems with them abdominally. I ve told a surgeon before I don’t care what you use as long as they’re not staples.  They got  so stuck once I almost passed out when they removed them. But on the head I’ve found they don’t move much. Don’t cause many issues. 

• HearPeers Heroes

So my activation is booked for May 3! One month today!! Otherwise I’m doing well. Still need some time to adjust of course not ready for no painkillers yet. Just Tylenol extra strength. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Which implant and electrode did you get ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @stream2525  I’m not sure which electrode I got.  I did however get the Synchrony this time. Last time I got the Flex 28 and a Concerto. 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 4/2/2018 at 3:04 PM, Mary Featherston said:

@Kara of Canada - I love the colors on your processor!  Are those from Med-El or somewhere else?  And (more to the point) I'm glad to see your post and that you're up and around.  Hope your activation goes well!

Ooh, just noticed - did they close the incision with staples?  I hate to say it as an employee of a company that makes surgical staples, but man, I don't like those when they're on me.

@Mary Featherston I did not have staples, that were visible at least, my surgeons used tape which was removed that the 1 week follow up. Each of the 4 times I was implanted.

@Kara of Canada I am glad to see you are up and about and healing well. My activation is April 20 - 2 weeks to go, then every month for 6 months with adjustments.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, my surgeon doesn't use staples, I'll get regular sutures.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well that’s ok. @Mary Featherston Whatever works right? Thanks @Jdashiell I’m doing well. I am excited for your activation. You deserve a good one this time! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Cara Mia how are you? Haven’t heard from you in ages? 

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Kara

im so happy for you!!!! Congratulations!!

it has been a crazy year via brain surgeries and a job transition. Can’t wait to hear your progress

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Adam glad to see you here again. Also to hear you are well! 

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s great to see @Adam‘s post.  I hope you have a healthy stretch of time Adam.

• HearPeers Heroes

So far everything is going very well. After 19 years, I just made a job change into a field I am very passionate about. I might be the first deaf Security Officer in SC.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Good for you @Adam!  I wish you much success.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome back @Adam! Glad to see you on here again. Hope you’re doing good ?  Congrats on the new exciting job!

• HearPeers Heroes

Way to go @Adam! Relentless forward motion as you have always said!