Parsing the CI Rabbit hole

FarmTownBob

Thanks so much for the support @Kara of Canada!  I am aware of the retraining process, and my audiologist says that audio memory will help a lot in associating the new way of hearing with what I remember.

I wish I could just go ahead and get two implants and be done, but with 63% remaining in my good ear,  we have to wait.  grrr! :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah for sure. One at a time works too. 

• HearPeers Heroes

HI @FarmTownBob

I understand the attractiveness of a HA which connects with a CI. For AB that would be the Naida Link. The Naida CI has been developed with many of the same features as the Naida HA. One way they communicate is if you change the volume on the HA, the volume on the CI is automatically updated. Another way they communicate is they share sound signals with each other and if the sound signal is clearer in the CI it can also be sent to the HA. The loundness of the signal is also sent along with the timing. As @Mary Bethstated the timing can be tricky. Some users confused by the timing have changed from the Naida Link to the Naida CROS which sends all signals from the CI to the HA. This also can be confusing though since localization is now unobtainable. If your hearing perfomance with your HA is poor you may not be able to understand the signal sent from the CI.

In the end many move on from the Naida Link and Naida CROS and get bilateral CIs if possible.

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe the Naida CROS is designed for people with binaural deafness and unilateral AB CI.  The Naida CROS sits on the deaf unimplanted Ear and sends sound to the Naida CI.  All sound is heard through the one Naida CI.  It’s like wearing a remote mic on the deaf unimplanted ear to capture sounds from that side.

I went to a training on the Naida CROS in the fall and we work with it in the school system.

It is very similar to any CROS.  I had worn a biCROS years ago and although it is nice not to have a side that isn’t capturing sound, all sound enters one side.  No ability to locate sound sources.

I believe the Naida Link is the HA that syncs with the AB Naida CI.  I have not met anyone using that yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@hadron

Can you help me understand how we can potentially end up with 250 pitch percepts using all 12 electrodes?  I am confused by the mathematics of it.  Is there a set number of pitches between two adjacent electrodes plus the 12 pure electrodes?  Is it evenly spread out with the same number between each pair of adjacent electrodes?

• HearPeers Heroes

I personally not quite understand the (practical) attractiveness of a HA connection with a CI, just theoretical one..

It looks that my ears work differently and my brain processes sounds from each of them differently as well.

When I need to change something it does not work like just some adjustment of loudness, or sensitivity, etc at the same degree for both ears. 

To improve the stereo effect - I need to find a new balance between both of my ears. It was even more different when I was bi modal. even hard to imagine how the simultaneous adjustment could help me. But perhaps, it just me.

@Cara Mia I completely understand your point of view.  Unfortunately, your description of having to work with two systems to find a suitable level of hearing is one major reason that I declined on MedEl.  Advanced Bionics has teamed up with Phonak, which I had as my first aid, and am familiar with the technology of both hearing aids communicating back and forth with each other constantly, which together allows them to better seam the difference between CI technology and HA technology.  You are correct that the sound is processed differently for each of the devices; however, having a hearing aid company in your back pocket allows you the internal research and development power necessary to get both technologies to cooperate and evolve together.  Perhaps MedEl could go with a company like OTICON, my second set of hearing aids which also communicated between each other.

My personal situation is one where my hearing has been unique in each ear.  Therefore I have had to process sound differently using the same technology.  Now I am in a position where not only do I have to process sound differently, but also manage different technologies.  As you described, its a PITA to find, keep, and maintain that balance persistently throughout a day.  I'd rather push jello up hill.  Since AB does this automatically already, and their cross communication technology has at least 20 years history since I empirically have used them well, That in itself tipped the scale in AB's favor.

• HearPeers Heroes

FarmTonBob, actually I work with the same system. Currently I have two Synchrony CIs that can be adjusted simultaneously. For me the option to adjust both my ears all the same at once is just an option that has no practical value despite this option sounds very promising until you try it.  I would attracted by this idea if I placed it on the top of my must to have list when I choosing the brands.... Anyway, my post was just my thoughts aloud, and I wish you the best with your choice especially if it includes the connection between the different hearing system. Would be very interesting to hear about your real experience when you get it. I am sure it can bring more points (pro or contra, but anyway valuablr points).

Hope, you will come to talk to us from time to time. Good luck!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, FarmTownBob said:

What about AB's Hires 1J and Helix?  Also, AB has the ability to activate dual electrodes simultaneously which allows theirs to have virtual electrodes which stimulate the hairs adjacent to each electrode as well, so effectively 16 electrodes become a virtual 120.  To me, that allows more overlapping stimulation and the possibility to blend frequencies better.  I'd almost go so far as comparing it to the difference between the digitality of CD recordings and Vinyl recordings.  There are nuances in sound you lose, whether at a noticeable level or not, when you go from a blended sound to one that is digitized into 1's and zero's.  Yes, I remember the big fight in the audio world between purists when CD's took over as the mainstream media for music.  I do not see MedEl' advertising as having this ability in any of its electrode arrays.  Correct me if I am wrong please.

This is where the electronics of the "graphic equalizer" [as I call it] or the chip in the implant itself that manages electrode control is important to me.  I haven't found detailed information between the big three on what that chip is, what it does, and the differences between each manufacturer's technologies.

In analogous geek terms, who's running an AMD processor with a X360 chipset and soundaudigy processing, or  an Intel processor with a Skylake chipset and Realtek audio processing, or is it an Apple technology system [personally I willfully avoid Apple products]?

cochlearimplantcomparisonchart_v6-1f.pdf

Bad link

Thanks @Mary Beth.  I had uploaded that file with the post.  Not sure what happened.

@Jdashiell I had opted for the Hires 1J electrode until my surgeon said that the Hires ultra SlimJ is the latest and may be replacing the Hires 1J electrode.