Received my authorization!

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada - yes.  I think it will be okay on the day of the surgery - I trust my surgeon, and my husband will be there.  But I hate, hate, hate systems that require freaking phone calls.  I don't DO phone calls.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was like that with my first implant too. But I was able to overcome that. I don’t still use it at first thought but with people I know it’s no problem. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
12 hours ago, Kara of Canada said:

Boy some people are really forgetful! Or outright ignorant. Depends on the person I guess. My anaesthesiologist was really good. She showed me her name tag and we talked for a few minutes before heading into the OR. Where as the nurse says to me in her small mouse voice what surgery are we doing today? I didn’t catch her name or much else. I didn’t care. At this point I had three others around me who knew what was going on. Including two surgeons. Plus a nice BIG arrow on my face to show which side they intended to do. I get they need to make sure everyone knows what’s going on but come on what surgery? Crazy people. 

Glad to know they put an arrow to indicate which ear to operate on. That's my greatest fear... That they operate on the wrong ear. Things always go wrong for me. I hope they put an arrow when it's my surgery. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel  - you could just have a family member write on the other year "NOT HERE".  :-)

Though I don't imagine the ink would be a great idea in the OR - though maybe it's OK.  @Kara of Canada, what did they use to indicate which ear you were being implanted on?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

They used a marker on me both times. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Better than a mistake!

• HearPeers Heroes

They put a gigantic “X” behind my left ear with a marker. It didn’t come off for weeks....or so I was told ?

@Mary Featherston is there someone who can help you with the phone calls? My mom was my designated hearing person. It was incredibly helpful and less anxious for me since I was the same way - no phone at all! Wishing you good luck as I know your surgery is coming up soon! The 13th right?

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes,initialed my ear lobe

• HearPeers Heroes
21 minutes ago, Kara of Canada said:

I was looking at the post previously and saw you asked a question. I didn’t pay attention that you got it answered in the next on the next page! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L. - sorry, didn't see your post till now.  Yes, my husband makes phone calls for me and the other day when I had to call our health coverage company, our HR manager, who's a friend, called with me.  The issue with the health insurance was pretty frustrating - I had one person tell me it was out of network, which would have increased my out of pocket expense from $10,800 to $21,600. I mean to say, ouch.

But I checked the website and the CI clinic shows up as being in-network.  Too bad the insurance company "customer service" people are unaware of how to look it up.

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

@Megan L. - sorry, didn't see your post till now.  Yes, my husband makes phone calls for me and the other day when I had to call our health coverage company, our HR manager, who's a friend, called with me.  The issue with the health insurance was pretty frustrating - I had one person tell me it was out of network, which would have increased my out of pocket expense from $10,800 to $21,600. I mean to say, ouch.

But I checked the website and the CI clinic shows up as being in-network.  Too bad the insurance company "customer service" people are unaware of how to look it up.

Uh oh

if the insurance people don’t get it right, you could be in for a world of hurt!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell - yes, indeed, and I spent much of last night tossing and turning while I obsessed about getting bills for $21,600.  So today another colleague and I called the insurance company again, got someone who actually looked it up and confirmed that 1) my clinic is in fact in -network, and 2) my maximum out of pocket will be $5400, and 3) the woman who sent me three separate messages which contained three different statements about coverage AND two of which were internally inconsistent - didn't know what she was talking about.

I got it in writing.  :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston So happy for you that your insurance is sorted out! My insurance gave me wrong numbers too. Mine wound up costing $2000 out of pocket but was told $5400. Thank goodness for our designated hearing people and customer service people who know what they’re doing!

• Like 2