Preferred ways of listening to sound sources with Sonnets

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I was asked about various tech options in an email and thought it may be nice to read other people’s preferences as well.  Here is how I use tech with my Sonnet to listen to sound sources.  What do you prefer?

I had used the Quattro 4 everyday until I tried the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop and then I NEVER used the Quattro 4 again!  The Artone 3 MAX sounds so much better, is so much smaller and lighter and has worked without any problems.  So I use the Artone 3 MAX to stream music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.  I go on T and hear only the streamed sounds.  I have it on right now as I am going to stream music in a moment.

The FM battery cover and DAI cable sound good to me but it just is not practical.  I have to be plugged into the sound source and that cable is so stiff as I move my head it pulls the Sonnets off of my ears. So I NEVER use the FM cover and DAI cable set up.

I have access to the Roger System.  It sounds great for speech.  But I can hear speech fine without it.  Even in classrooms and lectures, so I do not need to use it for that.  I listen on phones by holding the phone over the Sonnet mic.  So I don’t need Roger for phone calls.  Roger can not give 100/0 (only sound source) with Med-El when using the Roger 21 receivers because Med-El does not allow our audiologists to set a mixing ratio.  So we are stuck on 50/50.  That means that you can use the mini cable to plug the Roger into your sound source to stream music (since Roger is BT for phone calls ONLY) but you will still hear all the sounds in your environment too.  I don’t like that.  So for me, I do not find the Roger helpful in my daily life.  

Best audio tech for being bilateral is BOSE QC35 BT noise canceling headphones.  Beyond fabulous!

Enjoy playing with tech.  Everyone is different.  You will learn what works best for you.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, interesting topic - thanks for the input, Mary Beth, as I head towards receiving my first CI this is going to be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 3:05 PM, Mary Beth said:

I was asked about various tech options in an email and thought it may be nice to read other people’s preferences as well.  Here is how I use tech with my Sonnet to listen to sound sources.  What do you prefer?

I had used the Quattro 4 everyday until I tried the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop and then I NEVER used the Quattro 4 again!  The Artone 3 MAX sounds so much better, is so much smaller and lighter and has worked without any problems.  So I use the Artone 3 MAX to stream music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.  I go on T and hear only the streamed sounds.  I have it on right now as I am going to stream music in a moment.

The FM battery cover and DAI cable sound good to me but it just is not practical.  I have to be plugged into the sound source and that cable is so stiff as I move my head it pulls the Sonnets off of my ears. So I NEVER use the FM cover and DAI cable set up.

I have access to the Roger System.  It sounds great for speech.  But I can hear speech fine without it.  Even in classrooms and lectures, so I do not need to use it for that.  I listen on phones by holding the phone over the Sonnet mic.  So I don’t need Roger for phone calls.  Roger can not give 100/0 (only sound source) with Med-El when using the Roger 21 receivers because Med-El does not allow our audiologists to set a mixing ratio.  So we are stuck on 50/50.  That means that you can use the mini cable to plug the Roger into your sound source to stream music (since Roger is BT for phone calls ONLY) but you will still hear all the sounds in your environment too.  I don’t like that.  So for me, I do not find the Roger helpful in my daily life.  

Best audio tech for being bilateral is BOSE QC35 BT noise canceling headphones.  Beyond fabulous!

Enjoy playing with tech.  Everyone is different.  You will learn what works best for you.

•  

Dear @Mary Beth

An amazing article, I used on my Sonnet Quattro 4.0 it’s perfect for me because I can connected with Quattro Microphone so I can hear from long distance or in conference room is working perfectly. 

I have roger pen as well but still I didn’t use it with my Sonnet yet, maybe I will try to use it this week and I will see the difference.

Previously when I was roger pen I can hear nicely via mobile but unfortunately second person inform me always there is noisy sound and they prefer I used Quattro 4.0 rather than roger pen.

Thank you 

Hameed

• HearPeers Heroes

@iHM24

Hi Hameed,

Tech is always so interesting to discuss because we all have our favorite tech and it differs from person to person.  I look forward to hearing what you think of the Roger System when you test it out for things other than phone calls.  It has a great sound quality for speech.  It is line of sight when used outdoors.  Inside, the signal will bounce off the walls and line of sight is not as apparent.

Always great to see you posting here.

I went to a Mingle in Jackson, MS and met with other people and got a lot of valuable information. I am thinking of purchasing the Phonak pen.  I have not tried any of the ALDs yet. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marci

See if you can test both the Roger Pen and the new Roger Select to decide which is best in your real life.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Marci. I agree with Mary Beth. Test the two and see. In fact I ought to do the same myself. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Will you be receiving the Roger Pen as part of your Sonnet activation kit?  You will be able to play with it and see how it works in your real life.

I think @Marci is considering purchasing a Roger System.  Med-El does not sell the Roger System to us so we need to purchase it through our audiologists or from the UK online or via eBay, etc.  Before purchasing the Roger Pen, I suggest trying to test out both the Roger Pen and the new Roger Select to see which works best in a person’s life.  The mic technology of the Roger Select is impressive.  

No, it did not. I received Sonnet with voucher. I will have to purchase one.  Thank you for helping me.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marci

Some audiologist practices have Roger devices that can be tested out.  Unfortunately, most audiologist practices do not have Roger tech on site to be tried.  Phonak (the company that sells Roger Systems) has booths at many national conferences.  Many times they have items to try.  Purchasing new Roger items is expensive.  That is why I suggest testing them out if possible.  Sometimes, you have to do that by purchasing the item and if it doesn’t meet your expectations, returning it during the return period.  Be sure to ask about the return period.

It would be so much easier if these items were sold in stores and could be tried out in the store first.  

Matching the appropriate Roger transmitter to the situations you plan to use it in is important.  Different Roger transmitters work best in different situations.  The Roger Pen is only one of the transmitter options.  All of the various Roger transmitters work with the Roger 21 receiver for the Sonnet.  The need to purchase both transmitter and receiver is one reason the Roger System is so expensive.

If you want to list listening situations you plan to use the Roger System in, we can brainstorm ideas as a group.  You may find a cheaper alternative.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary BethI chose the Roger Pen as part of my sonnet activation kit. But I wouldn't mind trying the Roger Select as it seems like it would be quite suited for when I have attend meetings at work. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Some Roger transmitters work together and can be very helpful at meetings.  Check out the Roger Select and the new Roger Tabletop 2 Mic too.  Wouldn’t you love to go someplace that had all different listening situations modeled with a chance to test out various options?