Failing Battery Pack Cover

mgfiest

I have gone thru 3 battery pack covers in the past 8 month. I get false "weak battery" chime.

Is this the Achilles Heel with Medel Sonnet?

Luckily it's still under warranty, but what happens after.. unneeded expenses.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

Are you using disposable batteries?  Which brand?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry to hear that.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

This is the first I have read about false dead battery beeps on the Sonnet while using rechargeable batteries.  I experienced false dead battery beeps with ZeniPower Implant batteries and when I switched to Power One Implant batteries (using the same battery doors) the false dead battery beeps vanished.  This same thing happened to many other people.

The battery doors on the Sonnets seem to be an area that could be improved.  My battery doors seem to last about 13 months and then become too loose and need to be replaced so they press against the disposable batteries correctly.  They are under warranty for only one year in the US.  People may be able to get them covered through their insurance plans.  The new ones come with their own one year warranty as well.

Since you are experiencing the false dead battery beeps with rechargeable batteries as well......

-possibly clean the battery contacts

-talk with your CSR or audiologist about replacing the Sonnet control unit

Going through 3 battery pack covers in 8 months and experiencing the false dead battery beeps when using either disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries seems like there is a problem.  I hope you can find the solution soon.  

• 3 weeks later...

well they decided to replace the battery pack and the battery pack cover. they are baffled why the rechargeable would be giving false beep. let's see how long this last.

I have been having issues with bad battery covers as well but the issue I am having is that the battery cover does not seal properly to keep out moisture. I have received a total of 4 battery covers from medel, the first 2 did not seal as they should and the second 2 were even worse. Medel also sent me a new processor and battery pack to try as well but still got the same results. This issue reduces the water resistance too. Maybe there is an issue with the manufacturing process?

• HearPeers Heroes

The way the Sonnet battery covers meet the control unit is odd.  It does not always meet with a clean, tight seal.  It also varies in tightness.

My battery cover cracked at the top where it closes but I still use it.  My city fortunately has quite dry air so I can get away with it, plus I am not in the habit of wearing hearing aids in the rain so I take my Sonnets off.  

Regarding your false battery beeps I had that problem too.  My solution was to get my audi to turn off my beeps lol.  It was driving me nuts to keep hearing this beep beep when "hello battery does go dead it stops working that is enough signal for me."

• HearPeers Heroes

@Leisa

You may wish to check on the warranty for your battery cover.  In the US, they are only under warranty for 1 year.

Do you think the Sonnet behaves differently if it senses low batteries?  Will the Sonnet still work perfectly while it continues to sense low batteries?  That’s an interesting solution.  You are the first person to mention that I believe.

@Mary Beth my battery cover is 18 mths old now.  I do have the two I got with the box I am just not using them yet.  I think it happened at one year mark so if its the same where I am, Australia, it isn't covered.

My Sonnets are still behaving very nicely now minus the beeps but yes they still work fine even with the battery beeps.  I left mine on a couple of times after it started beeping and it took nearly 2 hours for it go dead.  That is why I got my audi to switch it off after realising they make us waste batteries.  

On 4/7/2018 at 5:48 AM, mgfiest said:

I have gone thru 3 battery pack covers in the past 8 month. I get false "weak battery" chime.

Is this the Achilles Heel with Medel Sonnet?

Luckily it's still under warranty, but what happens after.. unneeded expenses.

I only get 31 hours, i.e. not quite 2 days.   MedEl's using me as a guinea pig by replacing supposedly defective battery holders which are less than a month old!   Will let you know when the experiment transgresses.

• HearPeers Heroes

@10underpar

You are getting 31 hours with your Sonnets using disposable implant batteries?  I am not far behind you.  I get two full 16 hours listening days and just a little more.  Nowhere near the up to 60 hours.  But “up to” implies a maximum number of hours rather than a guaranteed minimum number of hours.  I would rather have Med-El report guaranteed minimum number of hours.

My lower battery life has been consistent no matter which processor I use.

Rondos last 3 (16 hour) listening days.

Sonnets last 2 (16 hour) listening days and part of the third day.

Opus 2 with 2 battery pack (XS) last 2 (16 hour) listening days plus a mere one to two hours on the third day.

Opus 2 DaCapo rechargeable battery lasts 10-11 hours.

Sonnet standard size rechargeable battery lasts 10.5 hours at first but quickly starts reducing and before long it doesn’t even get 9 hours.

So I can not use Med-El’s up to ___ hours as a guide since I never come close.  It would be more helpful to me if it was listed as at least ____ hours.

This is what worries me about the Rondo 2 with its integrated battery and no easy way to use disposable batteries unless you want to carry around the battery packs and cables.  As a bilateral user, that would be a lot of stuff.    

• 2 months later...

well here we go again. battery pack failed again. and a new failure the rechargeable that used to give me 10hrs went to 4 - 6 hrs. so all new stuff coming again. battery charger and battery holder.

I really think the inventory in Canada is having an issue. I am truly grateful that Med-El is taking back with no issues.

I think when the warranty comes off, I going to ask for an upgrade and start all over with new stuff.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

I am so sorry that you are having these problems.  Are you still getting the dead battery beeps before your Sonnet shuts off?  If your Sonnet is shutting off without those beeps first, it may be the DL-coil.  I had a DL-coil automatically shut down even though the connection on my head was good. (Med-El replaced that DL-coil).   My audiologist turned off the auto off feature of the DL-coil.  I like that much better.  Now the Sonnets only turn off if I turn them off.

If you are getting the false dead battery beeps......have you tried using the disposable battery pack and Power One Implant batteries to see if they work better for you?

There are only so many battery related items to swap out......

-battery cover

-rechargeable battery adapter

-rechargeable batteries

-charger for rechargeable batteries

Otherwise it must be related to the Sonnet control unit or DL-coil & cable right?

@Mary Beth

I have replaced everything you have said. I have 3 different kind of disposable batteries, just to prove a point and they all do the same thing.

They replaced the disposable battery holder, the rechargeable holder and a new charger. I got 1 week out of them and we are back at it again. I have emailed my audi about this.. again.

I leaning toward the control unit has malfunction.

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

I hope they figure this out for you soon.  Keep us posted,

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

I hope they figure this out for you soon.  Keep us posted,

• 2 weeks later...

@Mary Beth

Got a new control unit and all is fix. Only made sense it was it, when 2 different kind of source of energy was acting up at the same time. 

Let's see how long this last.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

I have a good feeling about this now that the control unit was replaced!  Keep us posted.  Best of luck!

@Mary Beth

Well that did not last long. This humidity and the sweating that is going on must be shorting out the controller.

I thought they were resistant to sweat.

Other than an ear gear ... anything else to help

An email to the audi for another replacement... geesh.... I am not looking forward to this unit when it comes off warrenty

• HearPeers Heroes

@mgfiest

In all the replacements you have done so far, is there any piece that has not been replaced?  Like possibly your DL-coil?

I had a faulty DL-coil that needed to be replaced.

Are you ALWAYS getting dead battery beeps before it dies or is it sometimes dying without the dead battery beeps?

Have you asked your audiologist to turn off the automatic off feature of the DL-coil?  That is stored on the actual DL-coil so if you replace the DL-coil, your audiologist has to turn it off again.

I know people who play tennis and get quite sweaty with their Sonnets and don’t have any problems.  I am sorry this is happening to you.

@mary beth

I have replaced every piece that I have a double of. New Batteries gets Dead battery beeps within 30 secs. Rechargeable batteries get maybe 5 hours instead of 10. and a pulsing electrical sound. when replaced with new controller, rechargeables have no problem, disposables have not problem and the pulsing electrical sounds goes away.

I will ask the audi to put turn off the dl coil.